Buying from out of state? - ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts
5th Generation Camaro News & General Discussion News Articles & General Discussion about the 5th Generation Camaro.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 Old 12-14-2008, 10:13 AM Thread Starter
I paid $5 for this title!
 
altoid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 645
 
Buying from out of state?

I've always wanted to do a road trip across the States, and am quite fond of the idea of picking up my car from a dealer on the East Coast and driving back home to LA in it.

However, this is California, which means that as far as emissions go it's really Nazifornia (even if I'm in favor of such strict regulations most of the time), and that means used out of state vehicles are always a sketchy for that and other reasons.0

That's alright, though, since the Camaro won't exactly be a used vehicle (at least not mine if I get one). I guess I'm just wondering if there is any paperwork or any annoyances that I might not be expecting when "importing" a car from another state.

(From what I gather the Camaro will be completely identical for all states, so street legality shouldn't be an issue at all.)

Am I asking for bureaucratic troubles here?

Formerly defunct.
altoid is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 17 Old 12-14-2008, 10:18 AM
Veteran Member
 
POWERFREAK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: NY
Posts: 7,873
  
Quote:
Originally Posted by altoid View Post

Am I asking for bureaucratic troubles here?

I wouldn't think it'd be a problem...not sure, but you MIGHT even be able to have it registered in cali when you buy it. My dealer had one of their orders canceled, so they still have at least 1 allocated Camaro available (at MSRP)...PM me if you want their info.

2010-2SS/RS/LS3/IBM/RP6: ECS-Paxton Supercharger / American Racing Headers & Exhaust / PFADT Suspension / DSS 9" 4.10 Rear / FOR SALE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taglane View Post
Powerfreak is the only one who actually understood anything.

Last edited by POWERFREAK; 12-14-2008 at 10:35 AM.
POWERFREAK is offline  
post #3 of 17 Old 12-14-2008, 10:20 AM Thread Starter
I paid $5 for this title!
 
altoid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 645
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by POWERFREAK View Post
I wouldn't think so...not sure, but you MIGHT even be able to have it registered in cali when you buy it. My dealer had one of their orders canceled, so they still have at least 1 allocated Camaro available (at MSRP)...PM me if you want their info.
I'm still holding out for the 'vert. (Even though that might change soon.)

(Also, I have zero money$ right now while I'm still in school. The Camaro is slated to be a graduation present to myself. *crosses fingers*)

But thanks for the offer!

Formerly defunct.
altoid is offline  
 
post #4 of 17 Old 12-14-2008, 10:34 AM
Veteran Member
 
POWERFREAK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: NY
Posts: 7,873
  
Quote:
Originally Posted by altoid View Post
I'm still holding out for the 'vert. (Even though that might change soon.)

(Also, I have zero money$ right now while I'm still in school. The Camaro is slated to be a graduation present to myself. *crosses fingers*)

But thanks for the offer!
oh, ok....good luck.

2010-2SS/RS/LS3/IBM/RP6: ECS-Paxton Supercharger / American Racing Headers & Exhaust / PFADT Suspension / DSS 9" 4.10 Rear / FOR SALE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taglane View Post
Powerfreak is the only one who actually understood anything.
POWERFREAK is offline  
post #5 of 17 Old 12-14-2008, 10:51 AM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: South louisiana
Posts: 56
 
I think the only issue you may come across is registration, other than that a road trip sounds like a good idea.
blackGT is offline  
post #6 of 17 Old 12-14-2008, 12:19 PM
Veteran Member
 
Luwinkle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Louisville, KY
Posts: 10,420
 
And the break-in period, a cross-country trip might be a bit rough on a brand new vehicle.



Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy Clarkson
A turbo, exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, with a supercharger, air goes in, witchcraft happens and you go faster.
Best Car Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote
Luwinkle is offline  
post #7 of 17 Old 12-14-2008, 12:28 PM
Veteran Member
 
Speed Kills's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Southern California
Posts: 1,324
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by altoid View Post
I've always wanted to do a road trip across the States, and am quite fond of the idea of picking up my car from a dealer on the East Coast and driving back home to LA in it.

However, this is California, which means that as far as emissions go it's really Nazifornia (even if I'm in favor of such strict regulations most of the time), and that means used out of state vehicles are always a sketchy for that and other reasons.0

That's alright, though, since the Camaro won't exactly be a used vehicle (at least not mine if I get one). I guess I'm just wondering if there is any paperwork or any annoyances that I might not be expecting when "importing" a car from another state.

(From what I gather the Camaro will be completely identical for all states, so street legality shouldn't be an issue at all.)

Am I asking for bureaucratic troubles here?
I was thinking about buying and registering the car in Nevada. My reasons are tax in CA - which you will have to pay when you register it in Cali and the yearly registration is a huge hear - or will soon be with the local budget crisis (not to mention the national one!).

IBM RS/SS: Vortech V3 (7.5lbs/boost) Trinity/Dyno Tune/Texas Speed LT w/Magnaflow Comp MGW Shifter/Tint/Heritage Grill/AVIC Z120 Orion Sub & Amp/Bravado Wheels (20 x9.5/11) Just fast enough ... for now!
Speed Kills is offline  
post #8 of 17 Old 12-14-2008, 12:37 PM
Veteran Member
 
POWERFREAK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: NY
Posts: 7,873
  
Yes, you'll have to pay the taxes for wherever it will be registered.

2010-2SS/RS/LS3/IBM/RP6: ECS-Paxton Supercharger / American Racing Headers & Exhaust / PFADT Suspension / DSS 9" 4.10 Rear / FOR SALE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taglane View Post
Powerfreak is the only one who actually understood anything.
POWERFREAK is offline  
post #9 of 17 Old 12-14-2008, 03:20 PM
Veteran Member
 
GHOST SS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Jamestown,North Carolina by the way of Neptune,NJ
Posts: 1,257
 
so what you're saying is you'll pay 2 state taxes?(say you buy a car in NJ*7% tax* and you register the car in North Carolina*3%* do you still have to pay both NJ AND NC taxes?.or am i wrong?

The Induction may be forced but your humilation is up to you

5th GEN.Org's Offical Protagonist
UNITED STATES ARMY 19K
Currently with 3rd ID,2nd brig,1-64th armored battalion,d-co,2nd plt FT.Stewart,Georgia
DOG FACE SOLIDERS HOOAH
GHOST SS is offline  
post #10 of 17 Old 12-14-2008, 03:28 PM
Veteran Member
 
POWERFREAK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: NY
Posts: 7,873
  
Quote:
Originally Posted by GHOST SS View Post
so what you're saying is you'll pay 2 state taxes?(say you buy a car in NJ*7% tax* and you register the car in North Carolina*3%* do you still have to pay both NJ AND NC taxes?.or am i wrong?
No, you pay the tax for wherever it'll be registered...assuming that when you buy it, the dealer is gonna register it for you.

2010-2SS/RS/LS3/IBM/RP6: ECS-Paxton Supercharger / American Racing Headers & Exhaust / PFADT Suspension / DSS 9" 4.10 Rear / FOR SALE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taglane View Post
Powerfreak is the only one who actually understood anything.
POWERFREAK is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome