Buying from out of state? - ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts
5th Generation Camaro News & General Discussion News Articles & General Discussion about the 5th Generation Camaro.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 Old 12-14-2008, 10:13 AM Thread Starter
I paid $5 for this title!

Buying from out of state?

I've always wanted to do a road trip across the States, and am quite fond of the idea of picking up my car from a dealer on the East Coast and driving back home to LA in it.

However, this is California, which means that as far as emissions go it's really Nazifornia (even if I'm in favor of such strict regulations most of the time), and that means used out of state vehicles are always a sketchy for that and other reasons.0

That's alright, though, since the Camaro won't exactly be a used vehicle (at least not mine if I get one). I guess I'm just wondering if there is any paperwork or any annoyances that I might not be expecting when "importing" a car from another state.

(From what I gather the Camaro will be completely identical for all states, so street legality shouldn't be an issue at all.)

Am I asking for bureaucratic troubles here?

Formerly defunct.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 12-14-2008, 10:18 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by altoid View Post

I wouldn't think it'd be a problem...not sure, but you MIGHT even be able to have it registered in cali when you buy it. My dealer had one of their orders canceled, so they still have at least 1 allocated Camaro available (at MSRP)...PM me if you want their info.

2010-2SS/RS/LS3/IBM/RP6: ECS-Paxton Supercharger / American Racing Headers & Exhaust / PFADT Suspension / DSS 9" 4.10 Rear / FOR SALE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taglane View Post
Powerfreak is the only one who actually understood anything.

Last edited by POWERFREAK; 12-14-2008 at 10:35 AM.
post #3 of 17 Old 12-14-2008, 10:20 AM Thread Starter
I paid $5 for this title!

Quote:
Originally Posted by POWERFREAK View Post
I wouldn't think so...not sure, but you MIGHT even be able to have it registered in cali when you buy it. My dealer had one of their orders canceled, so they still have at least 1 allocated Camaro available (at MSRP)...PM me if you want their info.
I'm still holding out for the 'vert. (Even though that might change soon.)

(Also, I have zero money$ right now while I'm still in school. The Camaro is slated to be a graduation present to myself. *crosses fingers*)

But thanks for the offer!

Formerly defunct.

post #4 of 17 Old 12-14-2008, 10:34 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
I'm still holding out for the 'vert. (Even though that might change soon.)

(Also, I have zero money$ right now while I'm still in school. The Camaro is slated to be a graduation present to myself. *crosses fingers*)

But thanks for the offer!
oh, ok....good luck.

2010-2SS/RS/LS3/IBM/RP6: ECS-Paxton Supercharger / American Racing Headers & Exhaust / PFADT Suspension / DSS 9" 4.10 Rear / FOR SALE!

Quote:
post #5 of 17 Old 12-14-2008, 10:51 AM

I think the only issue you may come across is registration, other than that a road trip sounds like a good idea.
post #6 of 17 Old 12-14-2008, 12:19 PM
Veteran Member

And the break-in period, a cross-country trip might be a bit rough on a brand new vehicle.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy Clarkson
A turbo, exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, with a supercharger, air goes in, witchcraft happens and you go faster.
Best Car Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote
post #7 of 17 Old 12-14-2008, 12:28 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
I've always wanted to do a road trip across the States, and am quite fond of the idea of picking up my car from a dealer on the East Coast and driving back home to LA in it.

However, this is California, which means that as far as emissions go it's really Nazifornia (even if I'm in favor of such strict regulations most of the time), and that means used out of state vehicles are always a sketchy for that and other reasons.0

That's alright, though, since the Camaro won't exactly be a used vehicle (at least not mine if I get one). I guess I'm just wondering if there is any paperwork or any annoyances that I might not be expecting when "importing" a car from another state.

(From what I gather the Camaro will be completely identical for all states, so street legality shouldn't be an issue at all.)

I was thinking about buying and registering the car in Nevada. My reasons are tax in CA - which you will have to pay when you register it in Cali and the yearly registration is a huge hear - or will soon be with the local budget crisis (not to mention the national one!).

IBM RS/SS: Vortech V3 (7.5lbs/boost) Trinity/Dyno Tune/Texas Speed LT w/Magnaflow Comp MGW Shifter/Tint/Heritage Grill/AVIC Z120 Orion Sub & Amp/Bravado Wheels (20 x9.5/11) Just fast enough ... for now!
post #8 of 17 Old 12-14-2008, 12:37 PM
Veteran Member

Yes, you'll have to pay the taxes for wherever it will be registered.

Quote:
post #9 of 17 Old 12-14-2008, 03:20 PM
Veteran Member

so what you're saying is you'll pay 2 state taxes?(say you buy a car in NJ*7% tax* and you register the car in North Carolina*3%* do you still have to pay both NJ AND NC taxes?.or am i wrong?

The Induction may be forced but your humilation is up to you

5th GEN.Org's Offical Protagonist
UNITED STATES ARMY 19K
Currently with 3rd ID,2nd brig,1-64th armored battalion,d-co,2nd plt FT.Stewart,Georgia
DOG FACE SOLIDERS HOOAH
post #10 of 17 Old 12-14-2008, 03:28 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GHOST SS View Post
so what you're saying is you'll pay 2 state taxes?(say you buy a car in NJ*7% tax* and you register the car in North Carolina*3%* do you still have to pay both NJ AND NC taxes?.or am i wrong?
No, you pay the tax for wherever it'll be registered...assuming that when you buy it, the dealer is gonna register it for you.

Quote:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page