Out of State Registration - LE help - ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts
5th Generation Camaro News & General Discussion News Articles & General Discussion about the 5th Generation Camaro.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 Old 12-14-2008, 12:35 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

Out of State Registration - LE help

In California, the sales tax and car registration is brutal. I have a friend in Vegas who will let me use his address. Can I register the car there and still live in L.A. ?

I know I would need to have a NV license and plates, but that could not be a huge problem. I guess I am just trying to figure out the best way to do this. Insurance will also be cheaper.

Any law enforcement (or government workers) or knowledgeable people out there that can help me try to beat the system?

IBM RS/SS: Vortech V3 (7.5lbs/boost) Trinity/Dyno Tune/Texas Speed LT w/Magnaflow Comp MGW Shifter/Tint/Heritage Grill/AVIC Z120 Orion Sub & Amp/Bravado Wheels (20 x9.5/11) Just fast enough ... for now!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 12-14-2008, 09:40 PM

I'm pretty sure you have to be a resident of the state you register it in. Otherwise everybody would register out of state into the state with the cheapest rates. Definitely not an expert though, just seems logical.

Quote:
The Camaro is 100 hp past its competition. The V6 is running with the top of the competition. In other words, if these cars are the whipped cream and the lower trims are the shake, the Camaro V6 is the cherry on top, and the Camaro SS is the person eating the whole ****ed thing.
-The_Blur
post #3 of 4 Old 12-15-2008, 07:34 AM

I know in VA the laws allow you 30 days (unless that has changed recently)from the time you move to the state to get your auto registrations, state inspection, license tags, and drivers license changed over to VA. If you are a legal VA resident and are not within that 30 day grace period, you can be ticketed and fined for non-compliance with any and all of the above requirements. It would take establishing residence in another state to get around this, so your license, insurance, everything would have to be in another state (at least as far as VA), it requires enough expense that most people won't bother with doing it.
Clyde

post #4 of 4 Old 12-15-2008, 07:43 AM

Don't know if this will help but some years ago I purchased a Jeep Wrangler and had it shipped to South Carolina. I was returning from a 2 year tour in Germany and when I picked up my vehicle I was able to register it in South Carolina using my parents address as home of record. Insurance was South Carolina rates as well. About 3 weeks later I moved to Texas where I notified my insurance company who gave me insurance documents for both Texas and South Carolina. Can't remember if the rate had changed though but I think it may have. Oh, btw....I am a California resident.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page