5th Gen chassis prints - ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts
5th Generation Camaro Pictures, Videos & Photoshops Post your Camaro pictures, videos and photoshops here!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 Old 06-27-2006, 06:44 AM Thread Starter
Supporter of common sense

5th Gen chassis prints

These CZ6 pictures showed up in the internet this week. Looks like there are two watermarks on them, one from LS1Tech.com and the other from Camaro5.com - not sure who broke them first. There is a thread on Camaro5.com but I do not see anything on LS1Tech.com yet.

Joe :: Over Anxious 67 Camaro RS/SS L78
5thgenblog.com // Michigan Classics
Chevrolet Camaro in Transformers // My ebaY auctions

Hot Rod Search Google searches for gearheads!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 06-27-2006, 07:09 AM

Actually these are from late December and were leaked along with the clay mockup of the silver car that was leaked at that time.

Old news, LOL. Sort of suprised Camaro5.com is making out like it is new news and didn't mention the tech watermark.

You'll notice most of the rear is total carryover from the CTS, while the front appears to be very similar to the GTO.

Last edited by Chris 96 WS6; 06-27-2006 at 03:10 PM.
post #3 of 16 Old 06-27-2006, 07:13 AM Thread Starter
Supporter of common sense

Thanks for pointing that out, I wasn't aware they were released that long ago

I pulled the info from a blog report last night and it was picked up on Yahoo news...

maybe we're hungry for more info

Joe :: Over Anxious 67 Camaro RS/SS L78
5thgenblog.com // Michigan Classics
Chevrolet Camaro in Transformers // My ebaY auctions

Hot Rod Search Google searches for gearheads!

post #4 of 16 Old 06-27-2006, 10:50 AM

I had heard elsewhere that the rearend was either the same as or based on the CTS IRS setup. This is good news as the CTS is much less prone to wheel hop on hard acceleration than the GTO is.

The front set up looks interesting.... Are the using a combination of an engine cradle with a separate subframe attached to the unibody? That extension going under the car in blue is what has me curious.

Greg
post #5 of 16 Old 06-27-2006, 11:03 AM

If you look at a CTS and those drawings it is pretty much identical in the back half.
post #6 of 16 Old 06-27-2006, 11:11 AM
ModernCamaro.com Founder / Former Camaro Disciple

Yeah, there's alot of similarities in these drawings and the CTS.
But keep in mind that it's all preliminary.

2001 Camaro Z28 H/C/I LH6 A4 3.42

Like ModernCamaro.com on Facebook!
post #7 of 16 Old 06-27-2006, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OctaneZ28
Yeah, there's alot of similarities in these drawings and the CTS.
But keep in mind that it's all preliminary.
While I don't know that these blueprints are the real deal, I do think that GM is beyond a preliminary stage of development on the car, and there are a few things that lead me in that direction.

1) I keep reading that "the math is done", i.e. the specs are already in the Cad Software. From what I understand, this is no easy feat, and it is more than one would expect from a strictly concept car. They didn't roll out a fiberglass mock up, they rolled out a drivable car.

2) They are borrowing from the current parts bin vs. creating entirely new engines, transmissions, etc. Anybody remember the Pontiac Banshee or the California Camaro? From their very inception, it was clear that neither of these cars were anything more than futuristic inspirations. They were clearly one offs that could never see production. The very fact that the Concept Camaro is based on a platform that is actually going to be released (Zeta), and that it includes parts currently in production (LS2, CTS rear end, etc.) makes me think that what we are looking at is more than just preliminary.

I'm not suggesting that what eventually rolls off the line (and yes, I do think its coming) will be exactly like the Concept Car, but I think it will be **** close - especially when it comes to the mechanics involved. The only suggestion I have heard to the contrary is the idea that a live rear axle would be a good, low cost alternative to the IRS - and I don't think that has come from GM, but rather from other posters or magazine editors.

Perhaps I am being too optimistic, but I think we are a bit beyond preliminary.

Greg
post #8 of 16 Old 06-27-2006, 02:19 PM

I keep hearing "the engineering is done" too. I think the CADs are close to final.

Remember its not just Camaro riding on that chassis, there's the next Impay, maybe a Monte, a Buick or two, a GTO and a Caddy, so its gotta be about done.
post #9 of 16 Old 06-27-2006, 02:36 PM

As long as we are talking about the CTS, has anybody taken one for a spin? The price is a little steep, but with a wife and 2 kids, the idea of a performance 4 dr is not unappealing...

Greg
post #10 of 16 Old 06-27-2006, 02:39 PM

If I had the cash, I'd have one in a heartbeat. Parenthood has consigned me to a period of probably 10 yrs where I won't be buying new cars, LOL. 1-income living sucks

CTSv would make one helluva daily driver.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page