Modern Camaro Forums banner

Ported LFX intake manifold. You know you want one...

19K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  SC2150 
#1 ·
Ported my first LFX intake manifold today (but not my first time around the block porting), and I am extremely happy with the flow gains... There wasn't a lot to work with being as the LFX manifold is made of a composite material, and doesn't have too many problem areas (that we can see, since it doesn't come apart (yet))...

The bottom of the lower intake portion was gasket matched to the intake gasket, the top of the lower intake portion was matched to the bottom of the intake. I also blended out a decent sized ridge in the bottom of the upper intake manifold...

Not much of a gain was had from the work above, but none the less, a gain is a gain (~2%)

The biggest gain was had with the "reservoir" behind the throttle body was filled and blended into the intake. This is by far the LFX intake manifolds biggest fault, not only is the "reservoir" about 3" deep which most likely causes a swirling effect right behind the throttle body, in which there seems to be a piece built in to redirect air and straighten it back out...

The "reservoir" area was roughed up, filled with a polyurethane plastic, and secured using bolts so it should not come as the plastic is formed around the bolt threads. I then went to work smoothing and blending the filled void into the intake runners, and removed half of the "air straightener" piece at the top of the throttle body opening... I could have removed the whole thing, but my thinking is that you can easily loose as much as you just gained by going too far, and after all this work, the end result was about a 9.5% gain in airflow as shown on our in house Super Flow flow bench...

I have dyno time scheduled for Aug 3rd, so this ported intake will be added to the list of things to try along with: The LFX Intake Extendolator (Intake spacer/isloator), The Adaptolator (w/ an LLT intake manifold on the LFX engine), The stock LFX intake with no spacers, and finally the ported LFX intake...

See less See more
#4 · (Edited)
Yes, I did dyno test the intake, as well as the Extendolator intake spacer. If you check out the dyno graph below the blue line is bone stock.

The red line is the stock intake w/ the intake spacer, as you can see there is little to no top end gain with the spacer, it's all low end and mid range gains in both HP and a nice TQ gain.

The top maroon line is the ported intake that has only have the TB entrance modified (more extensively than pictured, I'll see if I can find a picture of how they are shipping now), and the intake spacer (I did not have time to test the intake by itself, so it was just thrown on top of the spacer)... As the intakes are currently being shipped we are seeing a about a 20% airflow gain as tested through just the intake alone, each intake is verified for consistency on the flowbench before going out the door.

Attachments

#6 ·
Does the DI 5.3L Ecotec have the oil trap depression also?
That's what's in my '14 Silverado.

#7 ·
Based on the pictures I can find on the internet of the L83 engine/intake, if it is there, it's not as extreme as the one on the Camaro LFX intake.

Stock right out of the box, the intake used on the LFX camaro is the worst flowing intake manifold of all available for the LFX engine. I'm fairly certain there is only 3 different intakes available, and I have all 3. Unfortunately, It would take a lot of work to get one of the other intakes to work on the car.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.