Modern Camaro Forums banner

{Info needed} Is the body & frame on LT,LS same as SS regarding rigid and strength

2K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  CamaroPA 
#1 ·
{Info needed} Is the body & frame on LT,LS same as SS regarding rigid and strength

I'm looking at buying a 2010 thru 2012 SS body that has been wrecked and the body is tore up. Need to know if swapping drivetrain, electrical and suspension from SS body and installing in a LT or LS body will work?
I have found a few water damaged or stripped LT & LS cars that I could use the body from and install the SS components in but not sure if the V6 platform will support the V8 torque or do I need to stay with a V8 platform. I have found some SS cars that are water or stripped also, if the LT,LS are same gives me more options.

I know the front subframe and engine cradle different on V6 and V8 and it will have to be changed out.
If you know on any differences are info would appreciate some help
THANKS

#2 ·
I saw someone on the other forum tried this and did some research. They came back saying all the wiring was different and with the computer and infotainment hassles they gave up.

#3 ·
Yes someone tried and probably is still trying to retrofit a v-6 Camaro into a ss and last I heard hit a wall and after spending mega bucks.... If I were you I would be more into looking at taking body parts to put on a SS and avoiding the hassles others have found insurmountable. Also you may note the rear differentials ..only the manual V-6 is same as the SS yet has different lower gears, and that would be about it for similarities I have heard of....

#4 · (Edited)
Thanks for the info but what I'm looking at is installing all the drivetrain all wiring and suspension from a wrecked SS into a LT or LS body only, removing all V6 parts engine ,wiring computers. All I want to use from the LT or LS is the body nothing else

What I need to know if the V6 body will take the torque of the V8 and if the mounting points are same such as rear suspension . I have done complete swaps on few other cars and has worked out fine

#8 ·
Thanks for the info but what I'm looking at is installing all the drivetrain all wiring and suspension from a wrecked SS into a LT or LS body only, removing all V6 parts engine ,wiring computers. All I want to use from the LT or LS is the body nothing else

What I need to know if the V6 body will take the torque of the V8 and if the mounting points are same such as rear suspension . I have done complete swaps on few other cars and has worked out fine
Been there did it. Its all same.

#5 ·
I think what you are planning would work just fine. I don't think it would be cost effective for GM to make two different bodies for the same car. I think the drive train and suspension is where the difference would be...just my opinion others mileage my differ.....;)

#6 ·
2015SS I agree that they should be same but if a manufacture can delete a few items off different body style that more money in there pocket. That why I'm trying to find out if someone has done some major tare down and know the difference

I see your in Texas not sure what part but that were I'm looking for a donator Camaro body from sense Texas has a lot of water cars SS, LT, LS.

Sense you have a SS I watch my car special if your in the Dallas/Ft. Worth area there is a lot of SS and ZL1 that are theft recovered cars that are at the insurance auction houses. I'm looking hard at one of striped SS body then will have the SS body and no major swapping like it will be with the V6
THANKS

#7 ·
The "body in white" is the same for all models. Rear cradle is the same, front sub is slightly different. If you have a V6 auto, then the rear hub bearings, rear half shafts, diff, and rear portion of driveshaft are different (smaller) than the V8 or Manual V6. Brakes are smaller on V6, entire assy all 4 wheels. I believe the front sub is only the struts that are different, but I am not 100% on that.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.