Bob Lutz to step down - ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts
Automotive Industry News For General Auto Industry news other than Camaro.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 Old 02-09-2009, 09:54 AM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

Garage
Bob Lutz to step down

Bob Lutz is stepping down as General Motors' vice chairman and global product chief, the automaker said Monday. Tom Stephens will be GM's new head of global product development.
Lutz, a noted car collector who turns 77 on Feb. 12, has been at GM since Sept. 1, 2001.
Lutz was hired by GM Chairman Rick Wagoner to inject passion and style into GM's product lineup. The automaker had been widely criticized for building vehicles with bland exterior styling and interiors covered in cheap-looking plastic.
Lutz arrived and questioned everything about GM--its products, its hierarchy and its product development strategy.
Lutz's first shot in turning GM's product lineup around was the surprise introduction of the Pontiac Solstice roadster at the 2002 Detroit auto show. Lutz had ordered the concept built soon after joining GM--and the concept when from initial sketch to drivable vehicle in less than four months.
There have been several other landmark vehicles during Lutz's tenure. Among them: the Cadillac Sixteen concept, the revival of the Pontiac GTO and the Chevrolet Malibu, which was named the 2008 North American Car of the Year.
Lutz's automotive career also includes stops at Ford Motor Co., BMW and Chrysler. He left Chrysler after retiring Chairman Lee Iacocca picked GM executive Bob Eaton for the top job.

After leaving Chrysler, Lutz served as CEO of battery maker Exide Technologies from 1998 to 2002.
PRESS RELEASE: Bob Lutz moves to Senior Advisor Role; Will Retire at End of 2009; Tom Stephens Becomes Vice Chairman - Global Product Development
GM Chairman and CEO Rick Wagoner today announced that Robert A. Lutz, GM Vice Chairman - Global Product Development, will transition to a new role effective April 1, 2009 as Vice Chairman and Senior Advisor. Lutz, 76, will provide strategic input into GM's global design and key product initiatives until his retirement at the end of 2009. He will continue to report to Wagoner.

Wagoner also announced that effective April 1, 2009 the GM Board of Directors elected Thomas G. Stephens, Vice Chairman - Global Product Development, reporting to President and Chief Operating Officer Fritz Henderson. Stephens, 60, is currently Executive Vice President, Global Powertrain and Global Quality. In this new assignment, Stephens will maintain his responsibility for overseeing GM's global quality activity.

Concurrent with this appointment, GM is restructuring its global powertrain group to integrate powertrain functional activities into their respective global GM functions. Accordingly, in his new role, Stephens will have responsibility for global powertrain engineering, in addition to global design, product engineering, product planning and program management. Powertrain manufacturing will report to Gary Cowger, Group Vice President of GM Global Manufacturing and Labor Relations. Other staffs that support the GM Powertrain organization will be integrated into their respective global functions. These moves represent another important step in GM's restructuring initiative to create a leaner, more efficient organization.

"Bob Lutz was already a legendary automotive product guy when he rejoined GM in 2001," Wagoner said, "and he's added to that by leading the creation of a string of award-winning vehicles for GM during his time here. His 46 years of experience in the global automotive business have been invaluable to us. I've personally learned a great deal from Bob and have very much enjoyed the time we've worked together," Wagoner added. "I'm looking forward to Bob's continued contributions to GM for the remainder of 2009 - and I know the impact of his efforts leading GM global product development will continue for years to come.

"Tom Stephens is the perfect guy to take the reins of GM's global product development," Wagoner continued. "He's had extensive experience in virtually every aspect of our global product development activities. With his 40 years at GM, Tom has an extraordinary understanding of our products and our organization, and is highly respected worldwide. I'm confident that with Tom's passion for great products and vast knowledge of advanced propulsion, he will continue to raise the bar in executing outstanding GM cars and trucks.

2014 2LT/RS with spring edition package. Proud Litho Owner #28.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 02-09-2009, 11:01 AM
ModernCamaro.com Founder / Former Camaro Disciple

Sadness.

2001 Camaro Z28 H/C/I LH6 A4 3.42

Like ModernCamaro.com on Facebook!
post #3 of 21 Old 02-09-2009, 11:07 AM
Camaro Focus Group Member

wait, at first it makes it sound like he's leavinbg, than it says he's moving to a senior advisor position and retiring at the end of this year. not bad at all if that's the case.

Quote:
GM Chairman and CEO Rick Wagoner today announced that Robert A. Lutz, GM Vice Chairman - Global Product Development, will transition to a new role effective April 1, 2009 as Vice Chairman and Senior Advisor.

"All alone in my funeral home, playing in blood, there's just got to be something wrong with me" -Slayer-

post #4 of 21 Old 02-09-2009, 11:17 AM
ModernCamaro.com Founder / Former Camaro Disciple

Yeah, but:
Quote:
Lutz, 76, will provide strategic input into GM's global design and key product initiatives until his retirement at the end of 2009.

2001 Camaro Z28 H/C/I LH6 A4 3.42

Like ModernCamaro.com on Facebook!
post #5 of 21 Old 02-09-2009, 11:27 AM

yeah... that does kinda suck. why is he leaving at the end of the year?

"All alone in my funeral home, playing in blood, there's just got to be something wrong with me" -Slayer-
post #6 of 21 Old 02-09-2009, 11:34 AM

He's 76 years old. It might be time to consider taking time off for himself and family. I think has done a wonderful job in reviving GM products.

He deserves a heartfelt "Thanks"
post #7 of 21 Old 02-09-2009, 11:39 AM

Yep, when I get my hopes up this news comes out, and then this... now I don't know what to think again.
post #8 of 21 Old 02-09-2009, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrarimanf355 View Post
Yep, when I get my hopes up this news comes out, and then this... now I don't know what to think again.
oh geez. don't let Fbodfather see that article or he'll have a coronary. i love how the guy says Chapter 11 could increase consumer confidence.

post #9 of 21 Old 02-09-2009, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunsetHawkSelena View Post
oh geez. don't let Fbodfather see that article or he'll have a coronary. i love how the guy says Chapter 11 could increase consumer confidence.
It seems like bankruptcy is the only option now, so it's time to brace for impact and/or get the parachutes/life vests ready.

The sad thing is, if GM and Chrysler go belly-up, they're probably going to take Ford down with them. They have a $4 billion shortfall in pensions, so they're walking a thin line as-is.

If nothing else, Bob knows when to pack up and leave. Didn't he quit Chrysler before the Daimler takeover?
post #10 of 21 Old 02-09-2009, 01:16 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunsetHawkSelena View Post
just ignore him...he likes to spew his doom and gloom on the boards.

2010-2SS/RS/LS3/IBM/RP6: ECS-Paxton Supercharger / American Racing Headers & Exhaust / PFADT Suspension / DSS 9" 4.10 Rear / FOR SALE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taglane View Post
Powerfreak is the only one who actually understood anything.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page