Some thoughts on Hummer/Saturn. - ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts
Automotive Industry News For General Auto Industry news other than Camaro.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 Old 03-23-2009, 05:09 PM Thread Starter

Some thoughts on Hummer/Saturn.

Hey guys and gals!

I know I don't start many threads these days, but I have been contemplating the futures of these brands as I have grown to like them both through ownership and rentals.

Dissolution of either does not seem to be an option at all. Does it to anyone else?

I mean I can see GMC as a brand going away, but not these other two.(except for maybe the Acadia)

My thoughts are that if GM is to sell these outright then so be it, but who really wants either of these?

Hummer; Ford, I doubt it. Chrysler, nah, they have Jeep. Import brands?
Similar results for Saturn, maybe Isuzu wants them back?

I personally see a Private equity firm buying 51% of Hummer and GM still producing an H2 and H3 models.

What do you detroit/GM guys think?

Scott, Jonz, OG, OA......

2005 CTSV BLACK LS7 Clutch/Flywheel/Slave, Tick Speed Bleeder, Tilton Clutch MC, RevShift Bushings, Domestic V8 Solutions (shifter, 8.8 Diff conversion, srut tower braces, sub-frame connectors), SLP cats, no cags, xpipe, bullet mufflers, Volante, iPod dock, G-force tune; 379hp 381tq.

Killing 5th gens like it is my job.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 03-23-2009, 05:15 PM
Veteran Member

I don't know honestly... How do you just sell off a brand when a lot of the platforms and drive-trains are shared with other GM vehicles...it's a weird situation.

2010-2SS/RS/LS3/IBM/RP6: ECS-Paxton Supercharger / American Racing Headers & Exhaust / PFADT Suspension / DSS 9" 4.10 Rear / FOR SALE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taglane View Post
Powerfreak is the only one who actually understood anything.
post #3 of 14 Old 03-23-2009, 05:30 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by POWERFREAK View Post
I don't know honestly... How do you just sell off a brand when a lot of the platforms and drive-trains are shared with other GM vehicles...it's a weird situation.
That's why I was thinking sell off a porton of the company to get cash and GM would still produce.

2005 CTSV BLACK LS7 Clutch/Flywheel/Slave, Tick Speed Bleeder, Tilton Clutch MC, RevShift Bushings, Domestic V8 Solutions (shifter, 8.8 Diff conversion, srut tower braces, sub-frame connectors), SLP cats, no cags, xpipe, bullet mufflers, Volante, iPod dock, G-force tune; 379hp 381tq.

post #4 of 14 Old 03-23-2009, 05:35 PM
ModernCamaro.com Sponsor

Far from me to judge Saturn......

Hummer on the other hand..

I was a Parts Manager in a Hummer dealership from 2002 to 2007. The H1 is a beast and always will be. I've driven my share of these along with 50+ Humvees. They may be over sized and over priced, but there is still a market for them.

H2s ("Tahoe" to people who don't know any better) are also a phenominal vehicle. I have taken these rock crawling, mudding and on long road trips. True, they serve the same purpose as a Suburban, but have less cargo room. Not everyone needs to fit a huge litter of kids in a truck. And no, you CAN'T take a Suburban andwhere an H2 goes. Fuel economy isn't much worse (1-2 mpg less) than a Suburban.

The H3 ("Colorado/Trailblazer" to people who don't know better) is perfect for around the city and also the weekend offroader. There aren't too many trucks you can buy and just take offroad, right off the show floor. 8 bolts to remove the steps and you're off to have fun. Jeep is about the closest alternative.....respectable in it's own right, but not a Hummer. Fuel economy is BETTER than a Wrangler with a straight 6, and has more power too.

All in all, GM would be wrong to shut this brand down. It still has a cult-like following. It may not be as popular as when it came out, but it still holds it's own.

I do have an '08 H3 in my driveway. When it had 600 miles, we took it offroading for the first time...and haven't looked back since. This past weekend, we put on over 45 miles offroad and drove it home at the end of the day!
post #5 of 14 Old 03-23-2009, 05:42 PM Thread Starter

I "know a guy" that rented an H3 a month ago and buried it up to the windows in a mud puddle, but "he" was more than half way through this HOLE before it was stopped.

"HE" could not believe how much offroad prowess it had, even with the I5.

Jeep Lovers are always bashing, but the H3 is the BEST Hummer and 100X better than a HEEP!

I share your sentiments and if we have to dissolve other parts of the company to keep just the H3, then so be it.

I think it is a great product and like you say has a cult following!

post #6 of 14 Old 03-23-2009, 06:00 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 54inches View Post
I rented an H3 a month ago and buried it up to the windows in a mud puddle, but I was more than half way through this HOLE before it was stopped.

I could not believe how much offroad prowess it had, even with the I5.

Jeep Lovers are always bashing, but the H3 is the BEST Hummer and 100X better than a HEEP!

I share your sentiments and if we have to dissolve other parts of the company to keep just the H3, then so be it.

I think it is a great product and like you say has a cult following!
Fixed!

Anywho....I agree on the 51% acquisition idea of Hummer, but I'm not sure where Saturn could/would go.

post #7 of 14 Old 03-23-2009, 06:10 PM Thread Starter

Thanks, now I am in legal trouble.

I knew I could count on you!

post #8 of 14 Old 03-23-2009, 10:11 PM
Veteran Member

Saturn- I have a feeling may actually be kept by GM. GM has already funded Saturn until 2012. Why would they spend money on them if they are going to "phase out" the brand?

Hummer I think will be purchased by some ripoff chinese company to they can build Mini H2's.

Or Tata will buy it. They have already killed/bought Jaguar and Land Rover... What can't they do?

If not that, then Mahindra will take them up. With their outdated suspensions, powertrains, designs, architecture and morals, they could really use something new and fresh like Hummer....

┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐
post #9 of 14 Old 03-24-2009, 08:12 PM Thread Starter

That's definitly a point.
post #10 of 14 Old 03-25-2009, 12:47 PM
Veteran Member

I had an H3 Apha for the last 24 hours. It's more fun then I thought it would be. Having said that, I wouldn't give up my Yukon for it.

"BBOMG - More than just a car show.....it's an experience!"

Need to contact me? layssenATaol.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page