Hydrogen's prospects for autos refreshed - ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts
Automotive Industry News For General Auto Industry news other than Camaro.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 09-27-2009, 07:41 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

Hydrogen's prospects for autos refreshed

The long-delayed hydrogen fuel cell vehicle, overshadowed by the clamor over electric cars, may be getting a new lease on life.

General Motors Co. announced Thursday that its next generation hydrogen fuel cell system will be half the size and 220 pounds lighter than before, and use half the precious metals.

The announcement comes as Congress moves to restore most of the $100 million in fuel cell research money the Obama administration wanted to cut. That represented about half of the total.

Obama's administration, which had sought to shift more emphasis to plug-in electric vehicles, has dropped its opposition to reinstating the research money.

More...

Still legal in 16 states. It's happy. It's fun. It's Happy Fun Car.
Do not taunt Happy Fun Car.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 09-27-2009, 08:06 PM
Veteran Member

THIS, is a good thing.

2SS/RS, CGM, A6, Magnuson TVS2300 Supercharger
My latest dyno: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XjrLR0N12B4
post #3 of 9 Old 09-27-2009, 08:14 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by weland View Post
The long-delayed hydrogen fuel cell vehicle, overshadowed by the clamor over electric cars, may be getting a new lease on life.

General Motors Co. announced Thursday that its next generation hydrogen fuel cell system will be half the size and 220 pounds lighter than before, and use half the precious metals.

The announcement comes as Congress moves to restore most of the $100 million in fuel cell research money the Obama administration wanted to cut. That represented about half of the total.

Obama's administration, which had sought to shift more emphasis to plug-in electric vehicles, has dropped its opposition to reinstating the research money.

More...
I know we're not suppost to get into politics here...but it's soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo tempting.

So I'll just do this instead:

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy Clarkson
A turbo, exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, with a supercharger, air goes in, witchcraft happens and you go faster.
Best Car Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote

post #4 of 9 Old 09-27-2009, 08:23 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luwinkle View Post
I know we're not suppost to get into politics here...but it's soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo tempting.

So I'll just do this instead:
I think I'll avoid the Godwin's Law connection here as well.

post #5 of 9 Old 09-27-2009, 08:25 PM
Supporting Super Moderator

Speaking of hydrogen.

I think I am going to experiment with a hydrogen booster to see if I can gain any MPG. I was skeptical at first because most of the things I found were scammers trying to sell plans that that looked to good to be true. There is no way someone is selling plans that are so simple and no one on the net has step by step. So I gave up that idea.

Then I was looking up radiant energy and came across a forum about energy and has some smart members. Not much BS crap that don't work there or people jumping in trying to sell something.

There were a few members on there that had HHO bosters and explained how it works and full instructions on building one. I was thinking at first, how can it possibley work. I figured there has to be energy lost somewhere. How can taking electric from the engine work then turning electric into gas then turning the engine so then to start right back at the alternator again. I thought there has to be power lost somewhere from heat loss. But they explained that the gas in the engine does not fully burn, which I guess is what causes more emissions, not sure. But the hydrogen gas is just an ignitor and causes the gasoline to burn more complete which inturn uses the hydrogen gas and the rest of the gasoline that would have just been put out the exhaust. thus using less fuel becuase the engine makes more power on the same amount of fuel already being used.

They also listed some of the flaws with the system. Such as: The gas is very flamible and if there is a leak, you could have a problem, The water tends to heat up if you are driving on a long trip. You could overheat the water in the jar. Those problems have been delt with from members, but then it gets more complicated and expensive to build. I can see why the OEM would not use this system because of the possible problems.

It seems the engine needs to also really be tuned after installation.

I'm going to give it a try and see what happens. They say expect to gain around 33% MPG. Some less, some gained more.

This is not exactly hydrogen like on hydrogen cars. Hydrogen cars use hydrogen gas to power the motor. This system's fuel is water and the engine turns it into a gas called brown gas which ignites the gasoline fully. It's still going to need gasoline to work.

1998 Camaro A4 7.06 @ 96.5 MPH NA 1.47 best 60ft
2010 Camaro Tube Chassis work in progress
post #6 of 9 Old 09-28-2009, 01:12 PM
Veteran Member

the problem here isn't technology so much as infrastructure.. hydrogen powered cars produce better power out of practically the same engine as a gasoline powered car, also, more research has to be done into actually getting hydrogen en masse. would love to see some steps forwards though; 50 hydrogen fuel stations per state would get attention and create jobs.. not to mention make al gore stfu. wouldn't completely eliminate our oil needs, but dang well near it lol

post #7 of 9 Old 09-28-2009, 03:51 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedcorvette View Post
the problem here isn't technology so much as infrastructure.. hydrogen powered cars produce better power out of practically the same engine as a gasoline powered car, also, more research has to be done into actually getting hydrogen en masse. would love to see some steps forwards though; 50 hydrogen fuel stations per state would get attention and create jobs.. not to mention make al gore stfu. wouldn't completely eliminate our oil needs, but dang well near it lol
More from the article above that you said you already saw,
Quote:
On Sept. 9, Germany said it would provide $1.3 billion to underwrite half the cost of building a nationwide network of 1,000 hydrogen refueling stations across the country by 2015, joining Royal Dutch Shell and Daimler AG.

Japan and 13 oil and gas companies announced similar plans to boost hydrogen stations and Honda Motor Co. recently reiterated its plans to sell a commercial version of its FCX Clarity by 2015.

And despite the exploding worldwide interest in electric vehicles, the automakers maintain their support for fuel cell vehicles.

post #8 of 9 Old 09-28-2009, 10:52 PM

Beh another expensive "green" vehicle. No thanks. If they can bring the cost down quite a bit lower than what the current trend is maybe but lets see I have a choice between a 30K camaro and a 30K prius hmm no brainer there.

2000 Red 1SC Z28 A4 - dead for now
2005 Black GTO M6 6.0 - Split daily driver
1987 Silver Fiero GT - Split daily driver
post #9 of 9 Old 09-28-2009, 10:55 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by weland View Post
More from the article above that you said you already saw,
yeah, i saw that, but i doubt that's enough to solve the problem IMHO lol.

^Hydrogen should be safer than gasoline.. if a tank is punctured in a collision the gas will dissipate faster than heat could reach it.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page