President of Toyota Apologizes - ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts
Automotive Industry News For General Auto Industry news other than Camaro.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 Old 10-03-2009, 12:51 AM Thread Starter
Supporting Super Moderator

President of Toyota Apologizes

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/10/03/bu...toyota.html?em

1998 Camaro A4 7.06 @ 96.5 MPH NA 1.47 best 60ft
2010 Camaro Tube Chassis work in progress
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 10-03-2009, 11:45 AM
Veteran Member

If they can't even engineer proper floormats..one can only guess at what other things they have dropped the ball on.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy Clarkson
A turbo, exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, with a supercharger, air goes in, witchcraft happens and you go faster.
Best Car Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote
post #3 of 13 Old 10-04-2009, 01:45 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luwinkle View Post
If they can't even engineer proper floormats..one can only guess at what other things they have dropped the ball on.
Or they are just blaming the floormats. It seems like every Toyota has had floormats making the car take off on its on. Why only Toyota? It seems like it would happen on every car. I have never had a car with floor mats that hook to the floor to keep them from sliding and have never had a care take off on its own. I think there is something else to it. Maybe something with there E throttle bodies or something.

post #4 of 13 Old 10-04-2009, 03:46 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandonppr View Post
Or they are just blaming the floormats. It seems like every Toyota has had floormats making the car take off on its on. Why only Toyota? It seems like it would happen on every car. I have never had a car with floor mats that hook to the floor to keep them from sliding and have never had a care take off on its own. I think there is something else to it. Maybe something with there E throttle bodies or something.
I just checked and every car at this house (2001 Ford Focus, 2005 Ford Explorer, 2009 Pontiac G5) has a hook on the driver's side to hold the mat in place.
Hell..I had a doormat slide all the way under the old S-10's gas pedal on more than one occasion (crappy aftermarkets that I found behind the seat when I got it). All it did was just keep the pedal from going down, not hold it there.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Quote:
A turbo, exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, with a supercharger, air goes in, witchcraft happens and you go faster.
post #5 of 13 Old 10-04-2009, 04:54 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luwinkle View Post
I just checked and every car at this house (2001 Ford Focus, 2005 Ford Explorer, 2009 Pontiac G5) has a hook on the driver's side to hold the mat in place.
Hell..I had a doormat slide all the way under the old S-10's gas pedal on more than one occasion (crappy aftermarkets that I found behind the seat when I got it). All it did was just keep the pedal from going down, not hold it there.
I had that same thing all the time on my Stratus R/T, floor mat always seemed to slide up under the gas pedal. It never held the gas down or stopped me from accelerating though. I would usually pull the mat back toward my seat every time I got in it.

2SS/RS, CGM, A6, Magnuson TVS2300 Supercharger
My latest dyno: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XjrLR0N12B4
post #6 of 13 Old 10-04-2009, 06:34 PM
Veteran Member

This would bend upwards and make a little lump right behind the pedal. It would still go down..but not far enough to really accelerate. It was easy to pull down, though.

Quote:
post #7 of 13 Old 10-05-2009, 07:12 AM

Oh... No, I am not willing to have such bad news in sight, Toyata always has good reputation, and her product is my first option to purchase for I like it. I think everything would get into uncertain under such the whole economy downturn.
post #8 of 13 Old 10-05-2009, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyc70 View Post
Oh... No, I am not willing to have such bad news in sight, Toyata always has good reputation, and her product is my first option to purchase for I like it. I think everything would get into uncertain under such the whole economy downturn.
WTF???? I think you are on the wrong forum! This is Camaro lover's site...not a Toyo lover's site. Get a grip and read what you write before you hit enter.

needs no explanation

VIN#A9148288
IN MY HANDS 10-7-2009!!!
post #9 of 13 Old 10-05-2009, 08:42 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by louperrault View Post
WTF???? I think you are on the wrong forum! This is Camaro lover's site...not a Toyo lover's site. Get a grip and read what you write before you hit enter.
I believe the user is from Japan. Probley why the wording seems a little strange to us.

http://www.fitfreak.net/forums/member.php?u=34849
About lyc70
Location (Required)
Hangzhou
Biography
Fit Freak
My Dream Car
Toyota

Last week, Toyota announced its biggest recall ever in the United States after a crash in August in which a California highway patrol officer and three family members were killed.

If this were an american car, then this would have been a much bigger deal. Why does Toyota's reputation protect it?

post #10 of 13 Old 10-05-2009, 08:51 AM Thread Starter

Toyota recall and apology come too late for Redwood City man and San Jose family

http://www.mercurynews.com/ci_134849...ce=most_viewed

After Guadalupe Gomez's 2007 Toyota Camry careened out of control, mysteriously accelerating to more than 100 mph on a San Jose highway, no one quite believed his story that the engine simply surged on its own when it smashed into a Honda Accord, killing its driver in a burst of flames.

Now, they do.

In an extraordinary move last week, Toyota's president apologized after his company announced it was launching its largest recall ever in the United States over floor mats that could jam the accelerator a similar problem that thrust Gomez into such a legal quagmire that even the attorneys who sued him extended their sympathy.

"This poor man (Gomez) was just driving his car and this happened," said Mohinder Mann, the attorney representing the family of Troy Edwin Johnson, the 39-year-old driver of the Honda Accord. "He was very honest, he told everybody what happened, but CHP wanted to blame him."

Gomez's attorneys did not return calls seeking comment, and a Toyota representative said they could not comment on former litigation.

"Toyota was attempting to put some blame on him, but he did everything he could to stop the car and prevent it from crashing, he was dodging cars and holding down the horn. He was very remorseful," said Gary Mann, an attorney who also represented the Johnson family and interviewed Gomez while investigating the crash.

For his part, Gomez, 70, of Redwood City, wants distance from the case for which he was arrested and sued.

"It's a closed chapter in my life and I would prefer not to go into it," he told the Mercury News.

Both sides settled the case this year for an undisclosed amount; Toyota was singled out as the primary defendant while Gomez was only a nominal defendant.

Though Gomez declined to discuss that fateful morning of July 26, 2007, Santa Clara County Superior Court records detail a horrific tragedy.

Gomez was behind the wheel of the Camry when it suddenly accelerated while he was driving southbound on Interstate 280. He tried to kill the engine as he dodged traffic on the busy thoroughfare pushing the ignition button, kicking the accelerator and changing gears.

But his new black Camry would not stop not until it smashed into the Honda Accord traveling near Race Street in San Jose. The Honda exploded into flames. The driver, Johnson, a father of five, burned to death the same day he was hired as a dispatcher for a taxi company. Attempts to reach the Johnson family were unsuccessful.

Gomez, who was hospitalized for a broken leg and cuts suffered in the crash, was arrested on suspicious of vehicular manslaughter with gross negligence. But he held steadfast to his story. Shortly after the crash, Gomez's brother told the Mercury News that his brother had tried to brake and threw the car in neutral as it weaved through traffic for miles, clipping another car before striking Johnson's Honda.

During its investigation, the California Highway Patrol found unsecured plastic and fabric pieces of the floor mat on the driver's side pieces that may have jammed the accelerator the same defect that led Toyota to a previous recall of mats for certain models. The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, meanwhile, had concluded the same thing: that an unsecured floor mat in the Camry and the Lexus could slide forward and entrap the throttle pedal at the fully open position and propel the car to speed out of control.

As a result, the CHP forwarded the case to the District Attorney's Office without a recommendation, and prosecutors ultimately decided not to file any charges because they concluded they could not prove criminal liability without a reasonable doubt.

Toyota and Lexus vehicles affected by this consumer alert are:

■2007-2010 Camry
■2005-2010 Avalon
■2004-2009 Prius
■2005-2010 Tacoma
■2007-2010 Tundra
■2007-2010 ES 350
■2006-2010 IS 250 and IS350

IMO the floormat should not make the accelerator hang. IMO its the design of the pedal.

The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration said it received reports of 102 incidents in which the accelerator may have become stuck on the Toyota vehicles involved.

And someone had to die before they would issue a recall.
All other incidents have been blamed on the drive until someone died.

Toyota officials warn owners if they think their vehicle is accelerating out of control, they should check to see if their floor mat is under the pedal. If a driver can't remove the floor mat, Toyota advises a driver to step on the brake pedal with both feet until the vehicle slows, put the car into neutral and switch the ignition to accessory power.

Toyota dealers say they were not given extensive advisories before the corporation released information about the recall.

Wait, there's more:

If you're driving a Toyota or Lexus that has a start-stop button instead of a traditional turn-key ignition switch, the car can't be turned off in an instant in an emergency. The button must be depressed for three seconds - an eternity in a panic situation. At least that's how it works in a Toyota. In a new Buick LaCrosse, which USA TODAY auto editor Fred Meier has been testing, the button must be firmly pressed but appears to shut the engine off faster.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page