Toyota Tacoma Recall Issued -- breaking driveshafts - ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts
Automotive Industry News For General Auto Industry news other than Camaro.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 Old 02-16-2010, 02:28 PM Thread Starter
Supporting Super Moderator

Toyota Tacoma Recall Issued -- breaking driveshafts

http://www.aboutlawsuits.com/toyota-...-control-8300/

A new Toyota recall has been issued for approximately 8,000 Toyota Tacoma 4WD trucks from the 2010 model year, as they may have defective drive shafts that could cause drivers to lose control of the pick-up trucks. The vehicles will join millions of Toyota and Lexus vehicles recalled in recent months over issues like brake problems and uncontrolled acceleration, which have been linked to dozens of deaths.

The Toyota Tacoma recall was issued over a manufacturing problem that the auto maker indicates could have caused cracks in the front drive shaft of some of the vehilcles. The cracks could cause the driveshaft to separate and fall from the truck, leading to a loss of control and potential accidents that could cause serious injury or death.

Affected drivers are being asked to bring their vehicles into Toyota dealerships for inspection to ensure their drive shafts show no signs of fracture. Toyota officials say the inspections should take about 10 minutes. The 2010 Toyota Tacoma 4WD trucks affected by the recall were manufactured between December 2009 and early this month.

Last week, the Japanese auto maker announced a Toyota Prius recall and Lexus HS250h recall that affected approximately 437,000 hybrid vehicles sold this year, as a software glitch could cause drivers to experience brake failure.

In September 2009, a Lexus and Toyota floor mat recall was issued for 3.8 million vehicles that contained certain all-weather floor mats, which Toyota indicated could get stuck under the gas pedals, causing unintended acceleration. In January, Toyota issued another recall for 2.3 million Toyota vehicles due to a mechanical problem that was causing some gas pedals to stick.

At least 34 deaths have been associated with the Toyota sudden acceleration problem, according to the most recent data submitted to a database maintained by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration. Thirteen of those deaths were reported to the government over the last three weeks.

The acceleration problem gained national attention following a fatal accident in California in August, where an off-duty state trooper and three family members were killed while driving a Lexus ES 350 on loan from a San Diego dealership. Minutes before the fatal Lexus crash, passengers called police and reported that the Lexus had accelerated to 120 m.p.h. Witnesses reported that the carís tires were on fire, which was likely due to the driver slamming on the brakes before slamming into an SUV, falling off an embankment, rolling over multiple times and bursting into flames.

The Toyota accelerator pedal recalls have resulted in more than 60 Toyota lawsuits, including over a dozen wrongful death and personal injury claims.

1998 Camaro A4 7.06 @ 96.5 MPH NA 1.47 best 60ft
2010 Camaro Tube Chassis work in progress
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 02-16-2010, 03:09 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Witnesses reported that the carís tires were on fire, which was likely due to the driver slamming on the brakes before slamming into an SUV, falling off an embankment, rolling over multiple times and bursting into flames.
To all the naysayers that said "Why didn't they just hit the brakes?" well........there you go.
I swear..after this..I will never drive a Toyota..and when I get my own place and have my own family..no one in my household will own one. Also I will do everything I can to never even RIDE in one.
Even if I had to rent a car and all they had left was a high-end Lexus and a Cobalt LS (or even a Focus). The choice would be obvious.

EDIT: Or hell, even an Aveo!

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy Clarkson
A turbo, exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, with a supercharger, air goes in, witchcraft happens and you go faster.
Best Car Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote

Last edited by Luwinkle; 02-16-2010 at 03:20 PM.
post #3 of 5 Old 02-16-2010, 04:09 PM
Veteran Member

wow...how many more will there be?

2010-2SS/RS/LS3/IBM/RP6: ECS-Paxton Supercharger / American Racing Headers & Exhaust / PFADT Suspension / DSS 9" 4.10 Rear / FOR SALE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taglane View Post
Powerfreak is the only one who actually understood anything.

post #4 of 5 Old 02-16-2010, 05:08 PM
Supporting Super Moderator

I think there is going to be more recalls. Tacomas have had problems since day 1. The first major problem was with the control arm that would sheer off the frame causing the driver to loose control of the vehicle. This goes back to 95. toyota didn't call it a recall it was called a service campaign back then. Their sneaky way to get around using the word recall.

2010 Camaro RS SS LS3 (Bumble Bee) Vin#192 & 8 others made by GM and one Christine
post #5 of 5 Old 02-16-2010, 05:57 PM
Veteran Member

The singer from my church just recently got a 2010 Corolla and believes that it'll run forever.
I'm a bit concerned about him and his family now.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy Clarkson
A turbo, exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, with a supercharger, air goes in, witchcraft happens and you go faster.
Best Car Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page