Pontiac G8 Ute a distinct possibility - ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts
Automotive Industry News For General Auto Industry news other than Camaro.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 Old 09-11-2007, 11:20 AM Thread Starter
Supporting Super Moderator

Pontiac G8 Ute a distinct possibility

How about this Luwinki?

Pontiac G8 Ute a distinct possibility

Holden is planning on turning out the full capacity of 147,000 Zeta-based vehicles at its Elizabeth plant in South Australia. Part of the production increase can be attributed to the Pontiac G8's impending arrival, but there have been cagey references to importing the VE Ute, which shares the VE platform with the G8. Bob Lutz made mention of a desire to bring the Ute to the US a while back, and now GM's Asia Pacific President Nick Reilly has made a couple of cagey references to GoAuto, fueling the suspicion that we'll see a VE with a bed out back here in the US.

While discussing the Elizabeth plant's ability to meet production volume without adding a third shift, Reilly referred to US exports by saying "If they start to sell much better than we anticipated, then we would have to look at doing something else and clearly a third shift would be a possibility..." They? Hmm. When the follow-up question about just what he meant by they, Reilly sort-of clarified by further stating: "We haven't necessarily announced all the programs we have at the moment." The not-quite-confirmed multiple flavors of VE headed for the US, along with Bob Lutz's wanting to bring the Ute here as something other than a Chevy could mean that those wishing for a return of the El Camino might get their wish, minus the name.

Thanks for the tip, Ben!

1998 Camaro A4 7.06 @ 96.5 MPH NA 1.47 best 60ft
2010 Camaro Tube Chassis work in progress
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 09-11-2007, 11:51 AM
ModernCamaro.com Founder / Former Camaro Disciple

If they bring the Ute to the US, it MUST be a Chevrolet.

2001 Camaro Z28 H/C/I LH6 A4 3.42

Like ModernCamaro.com on Facebook!
post #3 of 16 Old 09-11-2007, 12:02 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by OctaneZ28 View Post
If they bring the Ute to the US, it MUST be a Chevrolet.
I agree. I don't think it would make it as a pontiac.

post #4 of 16 Old 09-11-2007, 12:34 PM
Veteran Member

I actually like how that looks, I dig it.
Hell, for all I care, they could bring it in as a Buick(they need another vehicle)..as long as it has the badass stats of the aussie one. 6l V8 and a 6spd manual.
Or they could bring back oldsmobile and plant that old rectangular logo on it..I'd go ape**** over that . In a good way.

Brandon, is there a link for that?

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy Clarkson
A turbo, exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, with a supercharger, air goes in, witchcraft happens and you go faster.
Best Car Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote

Last edited by Luwinkle; 09-11-2007 at 05:44 PM.
post #5 of 16 Old 09-11-2007, 05:49 PM Thread Starter

Yes sorry I forgot to put the link

http://www.autoblog.com/2007/09/07/p...t-possibility/

post #6 of 16 Old 09-11-2007, 05:50 PM
Veteran Member

Groovy, thanks. I would like it to be a chevy, but I'd take it as pretty much anything*as long as it isn't a cadillac, that would just cost too much*.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Quote:
A turbo, exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, with a supercharger, air goes in, witchcraft happens and you go faster.
post #7 of 16 Old 09-11-2007, 05:59 PM Thread Starter

Here is some more good news for you Luwinkle

http://www.goauto.com.au/mellor/mell...25734D000FADB1

The just-released VE Ute is expected to follow and left-hand-drive versions are currently being tested in the US.

post #8 of 16 Old 09-11-2007, 06:03 PM Thread Starter

Here is another:

http://www.goauto.com.au/mellor/mell...8?OpenDocument

HOLDEN has confirmed that its all-new VE Ute is ready for export to left-hand drive markets, including the United States, but General Motors' global product chief Bob Lutz has quashed hopes it could become the latter-day replacement for the Chevrolet El Camino.

According to gminsidenews.com, in response to a member's emailed suggestion that the Ute should adopt more of a Chevrolet look if it is sold in the US, GM's global vice-chairman of product development and GM North America chairman Bob Lutz said: "Well, that's what we want to do, but it won't be a Chevrolet."

An announcement is due within the next 12 months and the latest betting is the VE Ute will carry either Pontiac or GMC badges in the US, in an arrangement that would see the VE Ute follow the VE sedan on sale in the US.

In an unpreceded export deal, up to 50,000 modified VE Commodore SS sedans will be sold in the US annually as the 2008 Pontiac G8 sedan from early next year.

Holden revealed with great fanfare its first G8 prototype in June, and GoAuto reader Jesse White has snapped what appears to be a near-final production version of the Holden-built G8 - the first example of the Holden-designed global rear-wheel drive large-car architecture (dubbed Zeta) to be exported outside Australia - on Melbourne roads wearing a Pontiac grille and spoiler, but with 17-inch Holden wheels.

GM Holden’s new chairman and managing director Chris Gubbey revealed at the VE Ute’s reveal last week that LHD prototypes were being assessed in the US.

However, he stopped short of confirming that an export deal, which could result in G8-style export numbers, was being negotiated with GM North America.

“No, it’s certainly not a done deal (but) we have got prototypes (in the US) and they are reviewing the vehicle,” he said.

“They have been very excited about it... the guys over in the US have been really excited about the design. They have to now balance up whether that fits the demographics and the segmentation of their own markets – but we’re hopeful.”

Much of the ute’s LHD conversion work was done as part of Holden’s export deal with Pontiac, as well as with the Buick Park Avenue, a development of the WM Statesman/Caprice to be built in LHD guise in China.

Besides reconfiguring the steering wheel and related controls, the VE Ute has the fuel tank forward of the rear axle and meets all the safety regulations necessary for US market certification.

This is despite the fact that the VE ute is unavailable, for the time being, with either side or curtain airbags – an omission, according to Holden, that relates to packaging issues such as having enough space for curtain airbag deployment.

“We put in a lot of effort with ultra-high-strength steel in the B-pillars, a lot of extra crossmembers … so within the normal safety limits of the cars over the safety belt, we have done a lot of testing... and the results have been promising,” Mr Gubbey said.

Holden engineering director Tony Hyde added that the wall separating the cabin and cargo area also provides additional protection from side-impact intrusion.

Last edited by brandonppr; 09-11-2007 at 06:08 PM.
post #9 of 16 Old 09-11-2007, 06:13 PM Thread Starter

I agree that if its not a Chevy that the best place for it to go is GMC. It's just not right as a Pontiac and too close to the G8.

post #10 of 16 Old 09-11-2007, 06:23 PM
Veteran Member

While I would prefer a Chevrolet version so I wouldn't have to get another keychain..I'd take it in any form. GMC, buick, chevrolet, saturn, pontiac, hummer, SAAB...I'm not picky.

Quote:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page