Ford Shelby GT500 lives up to name - officially rated at 500HP - ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts
Automotive Industry News For General Auto Industry news other than Camaro.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 31 Old 05-09-2006, 01:21 PM Thread Starter
Supporter of common sense

Ford Shelby GT500 lives up to name - officially rated at 500HP

Autoblog.com reports -

This summer the most powerful Mustang ever will go on sale, and Ford announced today that it would have 25 more horsepower than originally estimated. The Shelby GT500 was just ran through the Society of Automotive Engineer?s ringer of tests and came out the other end with an official rating of 500 hp and 480 ft-lbs. of torque. The supercharged 5.4L V8 uses a roots-type supercharger providing a not insignificant (for OEM) 9 lbs./square inch of boost. Many of the engines components were also borrowed from Ford?s supercar, the GT.

This news certainly makes the battle for domestic dominance interesting, with the Dodge Viper rated at 500 hp and 525 ft-lbs. of torque and the Corvette Z06 coming at a perhaps conservative 505 hp and 470 ft-lbs. of torque.

Follow the jump for Ford?s full press release.

[Source: Ford Motor Company]

2007 FORD SHELBY GT500 OFFICIALY RATED AT 500 HORSEPOWER-Ford Shelby GT500 officially rated at 500 horsepower, 25 horsepower higher than preliminary estimates-The Shelby GT500 will go on sale this summer with more horsepower than any previous factory-built Mustang

DEARBORN, Mich., May 2 - The most powerful factory-built Mustang ever just got even more potent. Final certification testing of the Shelby GT500?s 5.4-liter supercharged V-8 shows it will produce 500 horsepower and 480 lb.-ft. of torque ? 25 more horsepower than preliminary estimates.

?With 500 hp and the Shelby name, this car is an instant legend," said Hau Thai-Tang, director, Advanced Product Creation & SVT programs. "This is the most powerful, most capable Mustang ever."The Ford Shelby GT500's supercharged 5.4-liter, 32-valve V-8 is a result of Ford's experience in developing the modular V-8 and V-10 engine series. The engine is force-fed air via a "Roots-type" supercharger providing 9 pounds per square inch of boost. It borrows the four-valve cylinder heads, piston rings and bearings, from the Ford GT engine.

The 500 hp rating was obtained using the Society of Automotive Engineer's latest standard and was witnessed by an objective third party. The Shelby GT500's 5.4-liter supercharged V-8 will be built at Ford's Romeo Engine Plant in Romeo, Mich. Pricing will be announced closer to launch.

The right to purchase the first 2007 Ford Shelby GT500 was auctioned for $600,000, with the proceeds benefiting the Carroll Shelby Children's Foundation. The 2007 Ford Shelby GT500 goes on sale this summer.

Technical Specifications:

Type V-8
Manufacturing location Romeo, Michigan
Configuration Iron Block and Aluminum Heads
Intake manifold Cast-aluminum with Roots-type supercharger and air-to-water intercooler
Exhaust manifold Cast iron
Crankshaft Forged steel
Throttle Body Dual 60 mm, electronic
Valvetrain DOHC, 4 valves per cylinder
Valve diameter Intake: 37.0 mm; Exhaust: 32.0 mm
Pistons Forged aluminum
Connecting Rods Cracked forged steel I-beams
Ignition Coil-on-plug
Bore x stroke 3.552 x 4.165 in. / 90.2 x 105.8 mm
Displacement 330 cu. in. / 5,409 ccHorsepower 500 hp @ 6,000 rpm (SAE Certified)
Torque 480 lb.-ft. @ 4,500 rpm (SAE Certified)
Compression ratio 8.4:1
Redline 6,250 rpm
Idle Speed in Neutral 750 rpm
Engine control system Spanish Oak PCM
Required fuel Premium
Fuel Injection Electronic returnless sequential
Oil capacity / type 6.5 quarts / Motorcraft 5W-50 Full Synthetic Motor Oil
Coolant capacity 21 quartsPeak Boost 9 psi

Joe :: Over Anxious 67 Camaro RS/SS L78
5thgenblog.com // Michigan Classics
Chevrolet Camaro in Transformers // My ebaY auctions

Hot Rod Search Google searches for gearheads!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 Old 05-09-2006, 02:36 PM

That's good because it weighs 4000 lbs, LOL. It needs every one of those 500 ponies.
post #3 of 31 Old 05-09-2006, 04:30 PM

Garage
just bring it! I am sure there will be a camaro that will knock the socks off that car in the near future! Namely mine so if someone knows some one that owns a cobra after the camaro comes out let me know so that we can have it on tape how bad the camaro can smoke a stang ! The owner of the cobra better look just like the second smiley. OH YEA!

post #4 of 31 Old 05-10-2006, 07:06 AM

I've been talking to a couple of dealers regarding getting one...not for me, but my sister. She has always owned Mustangs and is interested in the new SHelby.

She got a call a week ago from the local dealer telling her that he had an allocation for 2 Shelby's. She was #2! So after some discussion, my sister asked about pricing. Sticker will be in the high 40's. The dealer told her to add $25K to that price! Un-f'ing believable!

She won't be buying that car. The Shelby is nice, but not worth that kind of money.

'99 Camaro SS #1392

Onyx Black/Neutral leather;MN6;T-Tops

SLP Options: Performance Exhaust; SS Keys Fobs/Plaque

Mods.: SLP L/T's; SLP Y-Pipe; SLP Loudmouth; Random-Tech High-Flow Cats; PRO 5.O w/ Lou's Short Stick; MTI Airlid w/ K&N; Hotchkiss STB; OPTIMA Red Top
post #5 of 31 Old 05-10-2006, 07:22 AM Thread Starter
Supporter of common sense

+$25K? F dealers. I would never pay anything over invoice.
If the new Camaro is like that, I'll wait...

Joe :: Over Anxious 67 Camaro RS/SS L78
5thgenblog.com // Michigan Classics
Chevrolet Camaro in Transformers // My ebaY auctions

Hot Rod Search Google searches for gearheads!
post #6 of 31 Old 05-10-2006, 08:07 AM

Compression ratio 8.4:1
Redline 6,250 rpm

blah. lame. even with 9lbs...
post #7 of 31 Old 05-10-2006, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OverAnxious
+$25K? F dealers. I would never pay anything over invoice.
If the new Camaro is like that, I'll wait...
Agree 100%! Apparently the dealer who called my sister already has the 1st one sold. Crazy!

I've never paid over sticker on any vehicle. When the new Camaro arrives, I'll be visiting the dealer where I bought my SS. They've always been fair and sold at sticker. Even when my brother ordered his C6, they dropped $700 off sticker since the wait was so long.

'99 Camaro SS #1392

Onyx Black/Neutral leather;MN6;T-Tops

SLP Options: Performance Exhaust; SS Keys Fobs/Plaque

Mods.: SLP L/T's; SLP Y-Pipe; SLP Loudmouth; Random-Tech High-Flow Cats; PRO 5.O w/ Lou's Short Stick; MTI Airlid w/ K&N; Hotchkiss STB; OPTIMA Red Top
post #8 of 31 Old 05-10-2006, 02:34 PM

i might get one a year or 2 after they are released. i could probably get one for sticker, but i think they will be sellin for less than sticker in a year or 2.
post #9 of 31 Old 05-10-2006, 04:01 PM
ModernCamaro.com Founder / Former Camaro Disciple

I like the powertrain, but it's still ugly.
I can't get used to the front end looks of the new stangs. Yuck.

2001 Camaro Z28 H/C/I LH6 A4 3.42

Like ModernCamaro.com on Facebook!
post #10 of 31 Old 05-11-2006, 09:35 AM

I can't wait to race one.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page