ArvinMeritor stock falls amid earnings disappointment - ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts
Automotive Industry News For General Auto Industry news other than Camaro.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 Old 10-04-2007, 05:50 PM Thread Starter

ArvinMeritor stock falls amid earnings disappointment

Troy-based automotive and heavy truck supplier ArvinMeritor Inc. said its results for the quarter ending last month could be lower than expected by 40 cents per share because of the bleak housing market and charges related to financially distressed suppliers.

More...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 10-05-2007, 08:40 AM
Veteran Member

I was at that place on wednesday. The one over in Carrollton makes hubs for Ford. They keep shipping bad parts and shove us out of the building instead of letting us do our job.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy Clarkson
A turbo, exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, with a supercharger, air goes in, witchcraft happens and you go faster.
Best Car Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote
post #3 of 14 Old 10-05-2007, 02:18 PM

I have a friend who works at one of their facilities. It's Union...set-up people can't set machines , maintenance can't fix anything, and operators will run bad parts all day and not stop the machine or try to find out why.

My friend says it would be a great place if you could get rid of all the slackers. He says that about 90% of the current workforce.

post #4 of 14 Old 10-05-2007, 03:11 PM
Veteran Member

They are COMPLETE slackers there. When I worked for this Quality Inspection company for a short time (just left them today). They sent me and this other guy to one of the plants. Over an hour drive away. We rushed there to relieve 1st shift cause we were told we were behind. We get there..there aren't any more hubs to inspect. 1st shift leaves..we sit around waiting for hubs to inspect. We end up sitting outside on a picnic table for 4 hours before they finally get a skid of hubs..but instead of having us inspect them..they decide they want to ship them anyway and send us home. So we got around 6.5 hours and didn't work one bit at all.
If only every day was like that..I wouldn't have left the company.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Quote:
A turbo, exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, with a supercharger, air goes in, witchcraft happens and you go faster.
post #5 of 14 Old 10-06-2007, 02:57 PM

The Columbus, IN plant is a typical case that shows how the Union totally destroys a company. The idiots are not qualified for the jobs they do.They don't care as long as they get paid. Nobody wants to try to fire them because the union will protect them. Just close the place down and send it to Mexico or any location where the people care they have a job and the product they produce.
post #6 of 14 Old 10-06-2007, 03:01 PM
Veteran Member

Sounds like the one in Carrolton, KY. The people there don't care about their job for the most part. They send out obviously defective parts and then wonder why Ford tells them to hire a 3rd party inspection company to keep an eye on the parts. And when the company gets there..they get told to go back home.

Quote:
post #7 of 14 Old 10-06-2007, 03:57 PM

thats not because they are union, thats because they are LAZY

and because they probably do not have any kind of profit sharing incentives. i cant speak for them, but i bet if they're paycheck depended on their performance, they would start giving a sh1t.

their union SHOULD be doing somthing about this. unfortunately our unions are not the way they used to be. and the worst part about that is WE are the union... WE vote in our officers, and WE vote on contracts, bylaws, and everything else. if WE dont address the problems as a group, then NOBODY will. now convince that to 800 people in a factory, and things will change, but until jimmy hoffa himself rises from the grave and gives a motivational speech, it will never happen.

every american company should have some kind of profit sharing program. then maybe American products will be made better and we will be better off as a whole.

and if more Americans bought American made products, then these companies would have more business, and could afford to pay these incentives.

...or we can just keep sending our money to japan.
"exactly how many yen did you pay for that civic?" haha

1986 Camaro Berlinetta (originally)-now a nitrous breathing 383 stroker

1992 Camaro RS - pretty much stock (only to keep its 25th anniversary edition book value)

all the other Camaros were sold
post #8 of 14 Old 10-06-2007, 04:19 PM

I agree about profit sharing and other incentive programs. Truly share the wealth and promote good work ethics at the same time. That would increase productivity, quality, and reduce scrap.

I think the union helps contribute in this situation of people being lazy. These guys get paid good wages and it doesn't matter how many or how good the product is. They get paid $XX.00 in a hour and that's all they care about.

I've worked in Union shops and most people would be surprised by the number of people who can't read or do basic math doing (poorly) a skilled laborer's job.

You can have a person capable of doing the job exceptionally well, but they don't have seniority and so the job goes to a totally lazy idiot who has been lucky to find the factory entrance for a couple years.

Last edited by USA1Camaro; 10-06-2007 at 04:28 PM.
post #9 of 14 Old 10-06-2007, 05:36 PM
Veteran Member

The folks at the one in Carrolton make around $15 an hour. In a really nasty and dirty environment. It's rather grotesque inside of that place, to be honest. And it's small..the 2nd shift probably has like around 20-30 people at max. Most of them working over by the shaker table in those helmets that remind me of Star Wars Rebel Soldiers.

Quote:
post #10 of 14 Old 10-06-2007, 06:12 PM

i also make around 15/hr. its not quite disgusting, but its not the cleanest place around. we have around 800 people between 3 shifts.

the issue with the seniority vs experience happens at our place too. i in fact was arguing this on our website there yesterday.

yes your seniority entitles you first pick at the 'better job' ...but within a time period, i think its 90 days, if you can not perform the job TO STANDARD then you lose that position and it becomes available to next senior who bid on it. and so on, down the list.

so if the new guy *in this factory* has been doing that job in other places all his life, and can do it better then the veteren worker who has lived in the factory for 10 yrs... then so be it! maybe they should have paid a little more attention during those 10 yrs and learned the job.

also there should be annual or periodic "proficiency tests" in order to keep the right people in the right job all the time.

if they did this in conjunction with incentives for more/better work, then the company would be alot more profitable. and the union SHOULD bargain for a plan to share in those profits.

1986 Camaro Berlinetta (originally)-now a nitrous breathing 383 stroker

1992 Camaro RS - pretty much stock (only to keep its 25th anniversary edition book value)

all the other Camaros were sold
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page