A detailed look at GM's LS motor plans - ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts
Automotive Industry News For General Auto Industry news other than Camaro.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 Old 10-30-2007, 01:48 PM Thread Starter
ModernCamaro.com Founder / Former Camaro Disciple

A detailed look at GM's LS motor plans

http://www.leftlanenews.com/a-detail...tor-plans.html

With so much incorrect information out there about GM's future LS motors, we though it would be a good time to query our sources and get the real deal. From the Cadillac CTS-V to the Corvette ZR1, we take a look at the LSA, LS7, LS8, LST, and LS9.

LS7

This is, of course, the current 7.0-liter, naturally aspirated motor in the Z06. It's handbuilt at GM's Wixom performance center and is very expensive to make. Too expensive with the LS9 motor coming. While there will be several months where the LS7 and LS9 will be built at Wixom, the LS7 will eventually die, probably sometime between late-2009 or mid-2010.

Several publications have repeatedly insisted the new CTS-V will be powered by the LS7, but this is completely false. GM cannot spend engineering dollars on a CTS-V to start with the LS7, then 12 to 18 months later, switch motors after the LS7 is discontinued. Rather, the super Caddy will feature an all-new powerplant.

LSA

The LSA will find its way under the hood of the 2009 Cadillac CTS-V. The LSA is a 6.2-liter, smallblock V8 with a supercharger. It features an intercooler integrated into the intake manifold.

Preliminary specs have it over 500 horsepower with a choice of manual or automatic transmissions. The CTS-V will start production in September of 2008 with this motor. Look for around 6000 to 8000 units annually.

Original plans also had the LSA going into an Escalade V-series truck. However justifying the development cost — not to mention CAFE considerations — might put possibility of such a truck in jeporady. At present, it is unclear whether the Escalade-V a truck is still part of the plan.

LS8

This is another 6.2-liter, smallblock V8 with a supercharger. It also features an intercooler integrated into the intake manifold. This will be the motor going into the top-end Zeta platform cars. The most premium Camaro, probably called Z28, will get this motor.

That said, original plans had this motor going into a Denali SUV or truck, however, those plans now seem to be canceled. Again, this maybe a result of CAFE.

Some of Holden's vehicles may also get this motor eventually. Initial specs have this motor at 475 to 500 horsepower with a choice of manual or automatic transmissions.

When the LS7 dies, the Z06 will get this motor. Possibly, slightly uptuned from the version the Zeta cars would get. This motor will start production in first or second quarter of 2010.

LST

Yet another 6.2-liter, smallblock V8 with a supercharger. It also features an intercooler integrated into the intake manifold. This motor may or may not still be in GM's plans. The original plan was to put it in GM's Heavy Duty trucks.

Delivering in excess of 450 pound-feet of torque, it was set to start in the middle of 2008. However, it now seems this motor may no longer be part of the plan. GM may have decided its diesel offerings were sufficient. It's also possible GM had a hard time justifying the cost of development. Of course, CAFE might have also played a role.

LS9

This is the 6.2-liter, smallblock V8 with a supercharger going into the ZR-1 Corvette. Like all the others, it has an intercooler integrated into the intake manifold. Original specs had this motor at 600 horsepower and 550 to 560 pound-feet of torque. It now seems the horsepower rating may have jumped to as much as 650.

If that's true, it would probably be safe to estimate a similar jump in torque to around 600 ft lbs. Sources have stated the LS9 can make 700hp on a test stand. Obviously though, that is without a car attached to the motor. Don't look for any production hp number starting with "seven."

It now appears an auto/paddle shift may also be an option on the ZR-1. This motor will be handbuilt at GM's Wixom performance center. They will only make 1500 to 2000 units a year. Production of the ZR-1 starts in July of 2008.

Now, I can't confirm some of this yet, but it sounds good to me!

2001 Camaro Z28 H/C/I LH6 A4 3.42

Like ModernCamaro.com on Facebook!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 10-30-2007, 02:19 PM
Supporting Super Moderator

hmmm.

1998 Camaro A4 7.06 @ 96.5 MPH NA 1.47 best 60ft
2010 Camaro Tube Chassis work in progress
post #3 of 21 Old 10-30-2007, 02:22 PM

I was going to post this up.

Looks like there will be plenty of power available for the Camaro

post #4 of 21 Old 10-30-2007, 02:45 PM

This makes it sound like the Z28 won't be available the fisrt year but it will have nearly 500HP. So its a goodnews/badnews tkinda thing.

If its all correct!!

2006 Dodge Charger Daytona

Top Banana! 0653 of 4000
post #5 of 21 Old 10-30-2007, 03:42 PM
I paid $5 for this title!

The numbers look fun, that's for sure.

Formerly defunct.
post #6 of 21 Old 10-30-2007, 03:44 PM
Veteran Member

Geeze, GM going Supercharger crazy?

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy Clarkson
A turbo, exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, with a supercharger, air goes in, witchcraft happens and you go faster.
Best Car Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote
post #7 of 21 Old 10-30-2007, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luwinkle View Post
Geeze, GM going Supercharger crazy?
LOL i think this is a stupid move on gm.... why supercharge everything why not turbo one of the 6.2? theres like three of em...... and by the why it sounds they are very similar.... maybe not in number but they r all 6.2's with Superchargers
post #8 of 21 Old 10-30-2007, 05:50 PM

i agree. one of them should be turbo.

*A Cars Only Purpose Is To Get From Point A to B. I Just Rather Get There In 13.2 @ 106
* Going Mustang Hunting... Be Back In 12 Seconds

www.fquick.com/Naute <---- That's Me

http://fn-fasttown.myminicity.com
post #9 of 21 Old 10-30-2007, 06:15 PM
I paid $5 for this title!

I don't know what type of "enthusiasts" people who buy LS-powered cars are, but if they are tinkerers they would probably appreciate some more NA options as well.

Formerly defunct.
post #10 of 21 Old 10-30-2007, 06:34 PM

i say everything gets funner with boost lol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page