Muscle cars have power to live on - ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts
Automotive Industry News For General Auto Industry news other than Camaro.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 02-14-2008, 07:11 AM Thread Starter
Supporter of common sense

Muscle cars have power to live on

Thursday, February 14, 2008

Nobody goes to the auto show to see appliances. Never have, never will.
They go for the exotic and the exciting, and that almost always means muscle. Two years ago, when Ford Motor Co. fired up its Interceptor concept on the show floor in Detroit, people headed for the 400-horsepower sedan like moths to a flame.

Similarly, earlier this month in Chicago, it was the 425-horsepower Dodge Challenger that drew them in.

Pity the modified golf carts posing as actual cars that sat nearby, ignored.

Muscle wins, every time. And it always will.

"Muscle cars aren't dead by any means at all," says Randy Martin, president of the Eastern Michigan Camaro Club. "Not even close."

Certainly the market is changing, but the supposed demise of the muscle car has been happening for 30-plus years. It's the longest last hurrah in history.

Witness the death (2002) and rebirth (2009) of the Camaro; and the Challenger, which hit the skids in 1974 until 2008.

More...

Joe :: Over Anxious 67 Camaro RS/SS L78
5thgenblog.com // Michigan Classics
Chevrolet Camaro in Transformers // My ebaY auctions

Hot Rod Search Google searches for gearheads!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 02-14-2008, 09:53 AM

Its an American thing. Always lusting for the biggest baddest mofo on the block, whatever it is TVs cars phones whatever. It will never go away as long as we are America.

2006 Dodge Charger Daytona

Top Banana! 0653 of 4000
post #3 of 9 Old 02-14-2008, 02:05 PM

American car buyers like big and power vehicles.

It's sad that some of the managers in the car industry act like they've been neutered with the new CAFE standards.

post #4 of 9 Old 02-14-2008, 03:16 PM

but to play devils advocate here if we crave bigger badder cars in general then why are cars like the corolla and camery out selling the american cars. Why are the two biggest names in the car industry haveing hard time making money and keeping sales up. dont get me wrong i love muscle cars, i grew up on them and loving them.
post #5 of 9 Old 02-14-2008, 03:44 PM

Because the Corolla and Camry have the stigma of being the best, so Americans flock to them blindly, "its the best so I must have it". No one wants find out if its reallly the best.

2006 Dodge Charger Daytona

Top Banana! 0653 of 4000
post #6 of 9 Old 02-14-2008, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by camarodb View Post
but to play devils advocate here if we crave bigger badder cars in general then why are cars like the corolla and camery out selling the american cars. Why are the two biggest names in the car industry haveing hard time making money and keeping sales up. dont get me wrong i love muscle cars, i grew up on them and loving them.
Over the years the HP has raised in both models as well. Do you think they would be selling well if they only made 60 hp like the Corolla originally did? The Camry went from 74hp to 200. They also got bigger.

People buy on perception as well. Most people don't do enough research to realize the theory of import always offer superior quality is evaporating.
post #7 of 9 Old 02-14-2008, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dshane View Post
Because the Corolla and Camry have the stigma of being the best, so Americans flock to them blindly, "its the best so I must have it". No one wants find out if its reallly the best.

"Stigma" is usually meant to be a bad thing. How about "reputation" ?
post #8 of 9 Old 02-14-2008, 08:35 PM
Supporting Super Moderator

Quote:
IMO the US goverment is not helping things with the big three.

1998 Camaro A4 7.06 @ 96.5 MPH NA 1.47 best 60ft
2010 Camaro Tube Chassis work in progress
post #9 of 9 Old 02-15-2008, 01:34 AM
Dark Side Moderator

Quote:
Well the funny thing is the guys who drive those cars still dream about cars like the Camaro, Chally, and Stang. Its just they chose the economic means of transport. I have a Mustang GT, its far from the best but, its still the sacrifice (higher insurance, gas sucking, 2 doors, cramped space, and louder) to live a part of my culture that many find illogical

2005 Mustang GT-4.6L 3v /M5
2.3L Whipple Intercooled, 3.25'' pulley(11psi),FRPP 62mm TB, FRPP Stinger Axleback, UPR catted X-pipe, FRPP Handling Pack, 20'' Staggered Black Steeda Spyder Wheels, NT-05 Nittos, 3.73s, Hurst Shifter, and DF Centerforce Clutch
527rwhp, 479rwtq
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page