Buy American, get Chinese engine - ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts
Automotive Industry News For General Auto Industry news other than Camaro.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 Old 03-27-2008, 12:40 AM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 1,032
 
Buy American, get Chinese engine

Some owners of the Chevrolet Equinox, a "compact" sport utility vehicle built in North America, might be surprised to learn the origin of the engine under their hoods -- it's made in China.

More...
ModernCamaro.com News is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 14 Old 03-27-2008, 01:46 AM
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 26
 
Not surprising at all. Just like Ford and Chrysler, GM is trying to buy out its employees and reduce cost any way they can. The foreign markets are extremely competitive because they do not have to pay there employees $50 an hour plus lucrative benefits for doing a job you can essentially train a monkey to do. Don't get me wrong, I am not trying to call anyone of there employees incompetent but just overpaid.

You know something is wrong when the people that are being paid to assemble vehicles are making much more money then the people who are suppose to buy the vehicles.

I don't know about you but I think that the price of cars is becoming outrageous. I want a camaro but I will not be able to afford one.

In the area where I live you can buy a pretty nice house for $200,000 dollars. So, if I wanted to buy a loaded convertible camaro, I would be buying a quarter of an nice house. I don't know the facts on this but did a fully loaded convertible first gen camaro cost as much as a quarter of a nice house?

As you can see I hate the fact that car prices are so high when I know that they do not have to be. If someone knows this subject well I would like to hear what your thought are.

Till the prices come down on the new cars I will just have to be happy buying old ones and fixing them up as I go.
jakep1973 is offline  
post #3 of 14 Old 03-27-2008, 06:30 AM
Supporter of common sense
 
OverAnxious's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Detroit, Michigan
Posts: 9,152
  
Quote:
Originally Posted by jakep1973 View Post
Not surprising at all. Just like Ford and Chrysler, GM is trying to buy out its employees and reduce cost any way they can. The foreign markets are extremely competitive because they do not have to pay there employees $50 an hour plus lucrative benefits for doing a job you can essentially train a monkey to do. Don't get me wrong, I am not trying to call anyone of there employees incompetent but just overpaid.

You know something is wrong when the people that are being paid to assemble vehicles are making much more money then the people who are suppose to buy the vehicles.

I don't know about you but I think that the price of cars is becoming outrageous. I want a camaro but I will not be able to afford one.

In the area where I live you can buy a pretty nice house for $200,000 dollars. So, if I wanted to buy a loaded convertible camaro, I would be buying a quarter of an nice house. I don't know the facts on this but did a fully loaded convertible first gen camaro cost as much as a quarter of a nice house?

As you can see I hate the fact that car prices are so high when I know that they do not have to be. If someone knows this subject well I would like to hear what your thought are.

Till the prices come down on the new cars I will just have to be happy buying old ones and fixing them up as I go.
You cannot be serious when you say 'You know something is wrong when the people that are being paid to assemble vehicles are making much more money then the people who are suppose to buy the vehicles'

While some line workers make more than you would like to, GM has allowed that to happen hand in hand with the UAW. Sounds like jealousy more than anything else.

Also, just because you do not feel you will be able to afford the car you want, don't take that out on people making more money than you.

Some people want a Corvette ZR1 but are just as happy buying the base model hatchback Corvette... Sometimes you buy the base model of a car you like just because you love the styling and need to live within your means...

That said, the aired out '67 Chevy in your avatar is badass - reminds me of my current project

Joe :: Over Anxious 67 Camaro RS/SS L78
5thgenblog.com // Michigan Classics
Chevrolet Camaro in Transformers // My ebaY auctions

Hot Rod Search Google searches for gearheads!
OverAnxious is offline  
 
post #4 of 14 Old 03-27-2008, 06:31 AM
Supporter of common sense
 
OverAnxious's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Detroit, Michigan
Posts: 9,152
  
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5thGen.org News View Post
Some owners of the Chevrolet Equinox, a "compact" sport utility vehicle built in North America, might be surprised to learn the origin of the engine under their hoods -- it's made in China.

More...
Very old news. the Saturn Vue (Equinox counterpart) started using a Honda V6 motor as far back as 2004.

Joe :: Over Anxious 67 Camaro RS/SS L78
5thgenblog.com // Michigan Classics
Chevrolet Camaro in Transformers // My ebaY auctions

Hot Rod Search Google searches for gearheads!
OverAnxious is offline  
post #5 of 14 Old 03-27-2008, 10:07 AM
Veteran Member
 
urbanlegend's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Virgina Beach
Posts: 1,039
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by OverAnxious View Post
Very old news. the Saturn Vue (Equinox counterpart) started using a Honda V6 motor as far back as 2004.
Yes true. But the J35 was designed by Honda of America and built in the Anna, Ohio plant. I'll admit, I did know that this engine is american designed and built (I used to sell Acuras as well as obsess over them. Love 'em) but I did look up the exact plant.

Still a wannabe.
urbanlegend is offline  
post #6 of 14 Old 03-27-2008, 10:33 AM
Veteran Member
 
89RS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Ft Wayne, IN
Posts: 1,135
 
Since this thread pertains to the costs of making an engine in the US, might I ask what do you all think would be a good way to "de-unionize" the auto industry? I'm all for the workers having good benefits and pay, but to the extent that you start to cripple an industry, thats alittle too far in my book.

Project: 89 RS => AX/RR
89RS is offline  
post #7 of 14 Old 03-27-2008, 03:19 PM
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 26
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by OverAnxious View Post
You cannot be serious when you say 'You know something is wrong when the people that are being paid to assemble vehicles are making much more money then the people who are suppose to buy the vehicles'

While some line workers make more than you would like to, GM has allowed that to happen hand in hand with the UAW. Sounds like jealousy more than anything else.

Also, just because you do not feel you will be able to afford the car you want, don't take that out on people making more money than you.

Some people want a Corvette ZR1 but are just as happy buying the base model hatchback Corvette... Sometimes you buy the base model of a car you like just because you love the styling and need to live within your means...

That said, the aired out '67 Chevy in your avatar is badass - reminds me of my current project

I will agree that people who want a ZR-1 and can not afford one may have little to argue about. But my point stems down to the fact that American made vehicles use to dominate because they were the only companies producing cars (essentially). But now American manufactured cars have stiff competition from outside sources (China, Japan, Korea) and these outside sources are able to produce cars, ship them here, and have a huge tax placed on them from our government and still be more then competitive in our market. So, basically since our American manufactured cars are made by people who benefit from a previous era when American companies were the only companies and there Unions have a stranglehold on the Automotive companies (GM, Ford, Chrysler) us the consumer now have to pay more for a car then what it is worth.

I wouldn't call it jealousy but more anger because the automotive companies have allowed themselves to be overrun by the UAW and now it cost us consumers more money (a lot more). If we want to get in a pissing match we could talk about McDonalds worker starting a union and causing the price of a cheese burger to go from $1 to $4. We both know that that McDonalds cheese burger is not worth $4 and we will buy where it is cheaper. But if the government steps in and raises the price of the other outside cheeseburger by applying a tax then we are forced to buy a $4 cheeseburger. This is my point.

I am not crying that they make more then me but I am crying because they are causing a price hike where there should not be one. I would be able to afford a new camaro if it was sold for what it is worth.

Lets just say that I dislike buying a commodity for more then it is worth.

Thanks for the complement about the avatar, I also have aproject. But it is in about a thousand pieces right now.
jakep1973 is offline  
post #8 of 14 Old 03-27-2008, 03:23 PM
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 26
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by 89RS View Post
Since this thread pertains to the costs of making an engine in the US, might I ask what do you all think would be a good way to "de-unionize" the auto industry? I'm all for the workers having good benefits and pay, but to the extent that you start to cripple an industry, thats alittle too far in my book.
Actually, I believe that GM, Ford , and Chrysler are in the process of buying out there current emplyees. Which means they get an early retirement essentially. Then, the employees are able to be hired back at lower wages and different benefits. Hopefully this will help in the long run by lowering the prices of the American made vehicles.
jakep1973 is offline  
post #9 of 14 Old 03-27-2008, 03:37 PM
Moderator
 
Z28 Autobot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 2,774
 
Jake I see where your going with your analogy and most of your point..
but the thing is, the problem is how our country does business..were playing in a way the rest of the world doesn't plays. Yes I agree Unions are trying to play like its 1960's again and no competition.
The legacy cost however is what like 1-2-3K? On a car? The over all cost is based on what has to go into a car..yes we would love that a car cost 3K less on average. But to blame just unions? Its all part of a bigger problem and yes they are a big part of it.
Truthfully the Z28 should come in at less than 30K..I dont care if Lutz says its going to be a better car..once you break the 30K barrier your opening up to many more cars that can compete with the camaro in price..I see many GT stangs go for 23-25K and are very nice..if the Z28 is over 30K?? you kidding me?? It will not sell I dont care if its 10x faster than the Stang...sorry..
I could go on and off track about thoughts about the whole problem..but yea the unions are a problem..but also people buying foreign products over our own..that is the bigger problem..

1994 Z28 Autobot

I would like to thank the person that came up with these fine avatar and signature's.
Z28 Autobot is offline  
post #10 of 14 Old 03-27-2008, 03:59 PM
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 26
 
I'm sure you are right Z28 Autobot but that does not alleviate the fact that we pay more for vehicles then they are worth.

What do you mean by "the problem is how our country does business..were playing in a way the rest of the world doesn't plays".
jakep1973 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome