Nissan will stop building its Titan in 2011, Dodge will build the Nissan truck - ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts
Automotive Industry News For General Auto Industry news other than Camaro.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 Old 04-15-2008, 08:16 AM Thread Starter
Supporting Super Moderator

Nissan will stop building its Titan in 2011, Dodge will build the Nissan truck

http://www.autoweek.com/apps/pbcs.dl...481476515/1024

Nissan will stop building its Titan pickup in 2011, replacing it with a version of the Dodge Ram.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

By BRADFORD WERNLE, AUTOMOTIVE NEWS

Under an expanded product sharing alliance announced on Monday, April 14, Chrysler LLC will become Nissan's full-sized pickup truck manufacturer, while Nissan will make subcompacts for Chrysler.

The agreement means Nissan will stop making its Titan pickup when Chrysler starts making Nissan-badged trucks in 2011.

In exchange, Chrysler will get a Nissan-based small car, built at Nissan's Oppama, Japan, factory to Chrysler's own design starting in 2010. The new car is destined for North America, Europe and other global markets.

The Nissan-based small car will be built on a new Nissan platform to an already-completed Chrysler design, according to Chrysler co-President Tom LaSorda. He declined to say whether the design would be based on the Dodge Hornet concept car.

LaSorda said the deal will have no impact on its ongoing venture with Chinese carmaker Chery Automobile Co. The two companies continue to work jointly on products for North America and other markets, he said.

"At some point we believe we need more than one small car," for North America, LaSorda said. "We would be counting on Chery to provide that."

The Nissan-based small car will be built on a new platform.

Chrysler will make the Nissan pickup for Nissan at its Saltillo, Mexico, factory. To make room for the Nissan product, Chrysler will shift Dodge Ram production to its St. Louis North and Warren, Mich., truck plants. LaSorda said heavy duty production would likely be shifted to St. Louis North, while light duty production could easily be shifted to Warren. The Chrysler-built Nissan pickup will go on sale in North America in 2011.

In January, the two companies announced Nissan would supply Chrysler with a Versa-based sedan for sale in South America starting next year.

"Forging the right tactical partnerships is critical to the long-term success of Chrysler," said LaSorda in a prepared statement.

The companies said they "have also agreed to maintain an open dialogue to explore further product-sharing opportunities," according to a Chrysler press release.

LaSorda declined to discuss financial details of the agreement except to say that Chrysler would pay Nissan for vehicles the latter builds and vice versa.

1998 Camaro A4 7.06 @ 96.5 MPH NA 1.47 best 60ft
2010 Camaro Tube Chassis work in progress
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 04-15-2008, 08:43 AM
Banned

So is this how Cerberus is going to build Chrysler's business model? Outsourcing? My question is what does Chrysler get out of this deal? Nissan doesn't have anything that Chrysler needs right now...I dunno...Like a Hybrid system, or something else to help them meet CAFE standards in a few years. CVT could POSSIBLY do that if implemented correctly, but right now it doesn't seem to make a huge difference for Nissan.
post #3 of 21 Old 04-15-2008, 08:52 PM Thread Starter

The only thing I see that Chrysler is getting out of it is that Nissan is going to be building some of there compact cars for Chrysler.

1998 Camaro A4 7.06 @ 96.5 MPH NA 1.47 best 60ft
2010 Camaro Tube Chassis work in progress

post #4 of 21 Old 04-16-2008, 08:04 AM

Somebody take Chrysler out back and shoot them. This company needs to be put out of its misery.

Actually, I'd be cool with it if GM somehow bought Dodge and Jeep. To bad they can't really get much use out of that...
post #5 of 21 Old 04-16-2008, 10:43 AM
ModernCamaro.com Founder / Former Camaro Disciple

GM did make an offer for Chrysler actually, but Cerberus offered alot more.

On this topic... I don't see how this move helps either company, honestly.
I'm a little bit surprised since the Nissan Titan is a pretty good truck, way better than the silly Tundra IMO.

2001 Camaro Z28 H/C/I LH6 A4 3.42

Like ModernCamaro.com on Facebook!
post #6 of 21 Old 04-16-2008, 11:08 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by OctaneZ28 View Post

I'm a little bit surprised since the Nissan Titan is a pretty good truck, way better than the silly Tundra IMO.
It's a very nice truck. It was down to the Titan and the Ram for my wife when we bought ours (I tried to get her to test drive an SS, but she drove ONE Avalanche, and wouldn't drive another GM). We ended up getting a great deal on a 1 year old loaded RAM.
post #7 of 21 Old 04-16-2008, 10:11 PM
Dark Side Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mplacki View Post
Somebody take Chrysler out back and shoot them. This company needs to be put out of its misery.

Actually, I'd be cool with it if GM somehow bought Dodge and Jeep. To bad they can't really get much use out of that...
I was thinking if GM bought the Jeep name, it would merge into the Hummer division to have smaller vehicles and have reunion. Other than that I always figured Dodge and Chrysler names would be axed after there plants and R&D was liquidated between the Mitsu, Nissan, GM, and Ford maybe. But one can only dream. Chrysler is like the Carrot Top of Detroit.

2005 Mustang GT-4.6L 3v /M5
2.3L Whipple Intercooled, 3.25'' pulley(11psi),FRPP 62mm TB, FRPP Stinger Axleback, UPR catted X-pipe, FRPP Handling Pack, 20'' Staggered Black Steeda Spyder Wheels, NT-05 Nittos, 3.73s, Hurst Shifter, and DF Centerforce Clutch
527rwhp, 479rwtq
post #8 of 21 Old 04-16-2008, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devryn View Post
So is this how Cerberus is going to build Chrysler's business model? Outsourcing?
Isn't that how modern American business is run these days?
post #9 of 21 Old 04-17-2008, 12:58 AM
Veteran Member

wtf? glad I'm not a Nissan/Dodge fan.

And I thought it was weird being on both sides of the GM/Honda rope.

Still a wannabe.
post #10 of 21 Old 04-17-2008, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OctaneZ28 View Post

I don't know about the titan as far as good. I recently was doing a forum search on general truck recalls and i stumbled on nissan owners bashing the titan thread. I was surprised to see many owners complaining about the titan grenading the rear ends left and right. One guy went as far to state that he didn't use his truck to tow and it was on its third rear. He was so fed up he wanted his money back. i thought the thread was going to be a praising thread. Was i ever wrong.

2010 Camaro RS SS LS3 (Bumble Bee) Vin#192 & 8 others made by GM and one Christine
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page