Malibu among models threatened as disputes hit GM where it hurts - ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts
Automotive Industry News For General Auto Industry news other than Camaro.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 Old 04-19-2008, 04:22 PM Thread Starter

Malibu among models threatened as disputes hit GM where it hurts

The UAW warned of the potential for another strike at a General Motors Corp. factory next week, threatening the automaker's fast-selling Chevrolet Malibu, as a Lansing work stoppage continues to freeze production of three popular vehicles. Those factories have been operating without local contracts for several months, which UAW officials cite as the reason for the strikes.

More...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 04-19-2008, 04:24 PM
Veteran Member

****ing useless UAW.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy Clarkson
A turbo, exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, with a supercharger, air goes in, witchcraft happens and you go faster.
Best Car Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote
post #3 of 17 Old 04-20-2008, 01:21 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luwinkle View Post
****ing useless UAW.
+1 on that.

Bob Lutz: "There's no doubt that a design-driven philosophy is the only one that will work. People who are not sensitive to design, people who don't care about vehicles, people who view a vehicle as an appliance, they just default to Toyota. We will never win that one."

post #4 of 17 Old 04-20-2008, 04:01 PM
Dark Side Moderator

what are they *****ing about now?

2005 Mustang GT-4.6L 3v /M5
2.3L Whipple Intercooled, 3.25'' pulley(11psi),FRPP 62mm TB, FRPP Stinger Axleback, UPR catted X-pipe, FRPP Handling Pack, 20'' Staggered Black Steeda Spyder Wheels, NT-05 Nittos, 3.73s, Hurst Shifter, and DF Centerforce Clutch
527rwhp, 479rwtq
post #5 of 17 Old 04-20-2008, 04:06 PM
Veteran Member

I'm guessing the toiletpaper in the bathrooms isn't soft enough.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy Clarkson
A turbo, exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, with a supercharger, air goes in, witchcraft happens and you go faster.
Best Car Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote
post #6 of 17 Old 04-20-2008, 04:19 PM

They could see that GM was actually beginning to do well. They just cant have that, what would they complain about if their job was secure?

2006 Dodge Charger Daytona

Top Banana! 0653 of 4000
post #7 of 17 Old 04-20-2008, 04:47 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
****ing useless UAW.
+2
post #8 of 17 Old 04-21-2008, 12:33 AM
Dark Side Moderator

Quote:
I'm guessing the toiletpaper in the bathrooms isn't soft enough.
They are mad because they have to use toilet paper period. They are mad because the CEOs wont lick them clean.

I worked at FAA repair station testing and inspecting rebuilt Lycoming engines and I swear they prolly have a guy that is paid ten times more doing the same with minor car parts and he/she prolly gets a truck load of benefits. I was lucky to just get a medical discount.

Im all for labor rights and all, but sometimes you can bite the hand that feeds. If your job isnt secure, ask yourself is any job all that secure. There is a cycle to this. If the industry's labor alternative is foreign, then maybe consider that its because the 12 year old in China isnt *****ing. Good things dont last forever and its ones responsiblity to attempt to plan on that (investing, saving, and looking into other employment opportunities).

I wish they would get back to work, before Detroit becomes an automotive ghost town from all the outsourcing they are going to do from all the strikes to be able to continue their agenda. The deals after the strikes are just pacifiers until the next strike, this is continues on and on.

2005 Mustang GT-4.6L 3v /M5
2.3L Whipple Intercooled, 3.25'' pulley(11psi),FRPP 62mm TB, FRPP Stinger Axleback, UPR catted X-pipe, FRPP Handling Pack, 20'' Staggered Black Steeda Spyder Wheels, NT-05 Nittos, 3.73s, Hurst Shifter, and DF Centerforce Clutch
527rwhp, 479rwtq
post #9 of 17 Old 04-21-2008, 07:12 AM
Veteran Member

Agreed Jinx.

The quickest way GM can solve this is to go to the local Community colleges and say "Hey we got a job for you guys. Work all the hours you want. You won't get Union level pay, but we do have a comprehensive benefits package and we'll get you a discount on that new GM car you've been wanting." The Unions will either strike themselves to death or go back to work ASAP for fear of losing there jobs.

The reason I say they go to the community colleges is, according to the caption in TFA about the machinist on strike, that I know about 30 people that are taking CAD/CAM II and are fully capable of doing the stuff those Union laborers are walking away from. I guarantee a broke college kid would **** themselves for the opportunity to work at GM, go to college, get a new car, and still have money left over to pay the bills all from a "work your own hours" part time/full time job.

I'm an architectural design major and I know I'd work for GM if that was the case. What do you all think?

Project: 89 RS => AX/RR
post #10 of 17 Old 04-21-2008, 10:56 AM

I'm with 89RS. The only benefit I have ever had is a paycheck and I better look gratefull to get it or the boss will think you have a bad attitude and replace you.

I have worked i the automotive trade which prety much is only commision or flat rate, sometimes your rolling and other times your sitting all day with no pay & no job security. Now I do architectural drafting but I learned on the job (no diploma) so I don't get the good jobs with benefits.

I did have a union job for about 3 years once but I never joined the union. Apperently the company liked my work since I was usually one of the last ones at the end of the job. Coming from automotive (a tougher life than union) I would just laugh at some of the things these people would complain about. They all got mad at me once when they were complaining about pay and I told them the job was onlly worth about $6.00 an hour. We were making about $15.00 at the time in the late 90's.

I'm all for certain rights & fair pay but who decided the unions get to run other peoples companies. I'm on the fence with unions they have some good things about them but they do seem to go too far. These people are making more money than I am and driving up the cost of the cars I already can't afford.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page