UAW strikes GM's Malibu plant in Kansas: - ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts
Automotive Industry News For General Auto Industry news other than Camaro.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 Old 05-05-2008, 09:50 AM Thread Starter

UAW strikes GM's Malibu plant in Kansas:

The UAW on Monday morning struck a General Motors assembly plant that makes the hot-selling Chevrolet Malibu sedan. Members of UAW Local 31 in Kansas City, Kansas, walked out at 10 a.m. Eastern at GM's Fairfax assembly plant.

More...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 05-05-2008, 10:34 AM
Supporter of common sense

I wish I could just walk off of my job and come back with better pay. BS.

Joe :: Over Anxious 67 Camaro RS/SS L78
5thgenblog.com // Michigan Classics
Chevrolet Camaro in Transformers // My ebaY auctions

Hot Rod Search Google searches for gearheads!
post #3 of 15 Old 05-05-2008, 10:47 AM
See You On Course

Don't these people understand that the economy sucks, the dollar sucks, gas prices suck, and this stuff right now only makes it all worse? C'mon!

2010 Stock IBM 2SS/RS

I found $80 in my jeans pocket. The kid in me said "buy nerf guns and candy!" But then the adult in me said "buy vodka, nerf guns and candy!"

post #4 of 15 Old 05-05-2008, 11:11 AM
ModernCamaro.com Founder / Former Camaro Disciple

Unions FTL.

2001 Camaro Z28 H/C/I LH6 A4 3.42

Like ModernCamaro.com on Facebook!
post #5 of 15 Old 05-05-2008, 11:35 AM
Veteran Member

At this rate, the customer base will be building its own cars before the Unions go back to work.

Project: 89 RS => AX/RR
post #6 of 15 Old 05-05-2008, 12:02 PM
Banned

Congratulations! We just moved your job to Mexico. Enjoy your 6 month severance package. I hope you managed to get an education while you worked for us. Let's face it. If you didn't, you're ***ed. Have a nice day.
post #7 of 15 Old 05-05-2008, 12:20 PM
Veteran Member

Ok, don't get me wrong - Unions have screwed up more than a few things in the past....

I was brought up in a Union house. My dad delievered beer from 1954-1975. He then became a business agent for the Teamsters - save all your jokes, I have heard them all

He was able to provide for his family of 4, put food on the table (although a lot of meatloaf in the 70's when times were tough), put two kids thought catholic school, private high school (for me) and college degrees (BA and MA). He was able to do this partly because he wanted me and my sister to have better than he and my mom did, but mostly by having a good union job and strong financial management (his first credit card was long into retirement). I know that times have changed, but we cannot ignore the fact that unions made working conditions safe, wages competitive, and health insurance available.

Now before you start "quoting" me all over this board, sure a lot of people F*$^ed this up, but that is a microcosom of society - there are people every where who screw good things up for others - the unions do not have a monopoly on this. I have seen the unions lose their focus the last 10-15 years - hell my sister has worked two union jobs since high school and has seen the union leaders get greedy and lose sight of the best interest of its members (much like politicians have lost sight of its constituency).

Just because we want something - the "COT" of Camaros - is not grounds to bash something that has unarguably provided certain amounts of good to many people over the years.

If you really want to ***** - call your congress man/woman and ask them how the US Airforce gave a military contract building fighter jets to a foreign country and not Lockheed or Boeing, hence stimulating a foreign economy and not our own.

Sorry, I will get off my soapbox for now.

IBM RS/SS: Vortech V3 (7.5lbs/boost) Trinity/Dyno Tune/Texas Speed LT w/Magnaflow Comp MGW Shifter/Tint/Heritage Grill/AVIC Z120 Orion Sub & Amp/Bravado Wheels (20 x9.5/11) Just fast enough ... for now!
post #8 of 15 Old 05-05-2008, 12:37 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed Kills View Post
If you really want to ***** - call your congress man/woman and ask them how the US Airforce gave a military contract building fighter jets to a foreign country and not Lockheed or Boeing, hence stimulating a foreign economy and not our own.

Sorry, I will get off my soapbox for now.
Since I was an Air Force Contracting Officer for 6 years, I'm curious as to which fighter jet is being built by a foreign company, considering Boeing got the F-22 contract and LM got the F-35 contract...So exactly WHICH fighter jet is being built overseas?
post #9 of 15 Old 05-05-2008, 12:50 PM
Veteran Member

Devryn,

My mistake, it is not a fighter jet, but a refueling tanker.

http://www.swamppolitics.com/news/po..._could_be.html

My point still stands ...

IBM RS/SS: Vortech V3 (7.5lbs/boost) Trinity/Dyno Tune/Texas Speed LT w/Magnaflow Comp MGW Shifter/Tint/Heritage Grill/AVIC Z120 Orion Sub & Amp/Bravado Wheels (20 x9.5/11) Just fast enough ... for now!
post #10 of 15 Old 05-05-2008, 12:58 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed Kills View Post
Devryn,

My mistake, it is not a fighter jet, but a refueling tanker.

http://www.swamppolitics.com/news/po..._could_be.html

My point still stands ...
You know nothing and your opinion is based on complete ignorance of the system. Do you realize that they would have been in deep poo if they'd awarded to any American company after Darleen Druyun screwed it up for Boeing? There were two companies positioned to make this type of equipment. Airbus was the only other choice since Darleen and Boeing were "in bed" together.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Darleen_Druyun
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page