Obama blasts Detroit, Ford again - ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts
Automotive Industry News For General Auto Industry news other than Camaro.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 Old 05-06-2008, 11:50 PM Thread Starter

Obama blasts Detroit, Ford again

WASHINGTON -- Democratic presidential candidate Barack Obama didn't mince words when he described his first driving experience.

More...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 05-07-2008, 09:50 AM
Supporter of common sense

I don't see how he blasted Ford in this, but he obviously thinks the Domestic automakers are further behind tan they are. Just like celebrities commenting on politics, politicians have no business commenting on things they obviously don't know much about.

Quote:
"Detroit ended up making investments in SUVs and large trucks because that's where they perceived a competitive advantage and that's where they felt they could make the most profit," Obama told "Meet the Press" host Tim Russert.
This is a true statement.

Quote:
"I think it was a mistake for them not to plan earlier, and now we're seeing a huge growth in fuel-efficient cars that is benefiting the Japanese automakers and Detroit is getting pounded some more."
This is not so true, it amazes me how ignorant some people are when it comes to the fuel efficiency debate in the domestic vs import car market...

Joe :: Over Anxious 67 Camaro RS/SS L78
5thgenblog.com // Michigan Classics
Chevrolet Camaro in Transformers // My ebaY auctions

Hot Rod Search Google searches for gearheads!
post #3 of 4 Old 05-07-2008, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OverAnxious View Post
This is not so true, it amazes me how ignorant some people are when it comes to the fuel efficiency debate in the domestic vs import car market...
He (like a lot of Americans) still considers the 30 year old Ford Granada the epitome of American automobile achievement. Mr. Obama missed a huge opportunity to point out the good that Detroit has done since the Granada era.

Would have been good press for the automakers as well.

Dirt!

Last edited by Dirtfarmer; 05-07-2008 at 12:35 PM.

post #4 of 4 Old 05-07-2008, 10:19 AM

Why would he think the auto manufacturers are there to make fuel efficient vehicles. They are there to produce a product they think the public wants so they can make money. America seems to like big powerful vehicles, look at all of the people on this forum willing to sacrifice a little fuel milage for performance. I am all for the enviroment and new more efficient technology but I am getting tired of this green stuff and hearing about how all of the worlds problems are because of Americans and their big cars.

My plan is to give every object a carbon footprint number. Then everyone is given the same amount of carbon credits to spen how they see fit. The people who want to live in 10,000 square foot houses have a choice between an electric golf cart or public transportation and the ones who live in small houses can have Z/28's, ZR-1's, ect.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page