Audi's answer: A7 takes on 'four-door coupe' market - ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts
Automotive Industry News For General Auto Industry news other than Camaro.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 Old 06-11-2008, 08:20 AM Thread Starter
Automated News

Audi's answer: A7 takes on 'four-door coupe' market

Audi is promising that its new A7 will set the standard for performance, elegance and quality in the fast-emerging luxury "four-door coupe" market when it is launched in June 2010 as part of an ambitious new-model program aimed at garnering a 50...

More...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 06-11-2008, 09:57 AM
ModernCamaro.com Founder / Former Camaro Disciple

This whole 4-door coupe thing is hogwash.
I'm sorry, but if it has 4 doors, it's a sedan.

2001 Camaro Z28 H/C/I LH6 A4 3.42

Like ModernCamaro.com on Facebook!
post #3 of 4 Old 06-11-2008, 10:18 AM

I have not looked this up but here is how I always thought it was.

Coupe=two doors with no quarter glass, only door glass.
Hard top=two or four doors with out a window frame, even if it has a non functional quarter glass.
Sedan=two or four doors with a window frame

I have not been "into" cars for a few years maybe things have changed, like sounding out NOS (NOZ?) instead of saying nitrous.

post #4 of 4 Old 06-11-2008, 01:13 PM
Dark Side Moderator

Coupe= two door regardless of quarter window placement. Hardtop is just a structure type of a Coupe. Even a t-top, targa top, glassroof, and etc are still in the coupe domain in my book.

Convertible= Hardtop/softtop/removable shell.

Sedan= Four doors, four side windows, with center pillar.

Wagon= Four doors, four side windows, with center pillar, no rear deck, hatch

Hatchback= two doors regardless of quarter window placement, no rear deck, hatch

Panel= two doors or four doors, two side windows, no rear deck, hatch or swinging door.

^just my general opinion on whats what.

RX-8 types are a hybrid type of design without the center pillar. So technicially if two bigger doors were to be made up to replace the four doors, it prolly would not compromise the original design or alter the chassis structure. So i figure that how it can be called a coupe due to the lack of the center pillar. I think its a grey area. Becuase if that was 100% true a old skool Continental could be called a coupe and that doesnt seem to fit the bill. So I can see how it would be annoying in the terms of a A7. Its modern day, streamlined Continental type car.

But after looking up this:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sedan

Anything besides a convertible can be a given the term sedan. Quad Coupe was a correct term. But GM seems to made a patent on the name since the Saturn had one. I guess we have to blame our beloved company for the liberal use of the word coupe now.

2005 Mustang GT-4.6L 3v /M5
2.3L Whipple Intercooled, 3.25'' pulley(11psi),FRPP 62mm TB, FRPP Stinger Axleback, UPR catted X-pipe, FRPP Handling Pack, 20'' Staggered Black Steeda Spyder Wheels, NT-05 Nittos, 3.73s, Hurst Shifter, and DF Centerforce Clutch
527rwhp, 479rwtq
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page