Toyota criticized for worker abuse - ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts
Automotive Industry News For General Auto Industry news other than Camaro.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 Old 06-19-2008, 11:38 AM Thread Starter

Toyota criticized for worker abuse

http://www.autoblog.com/2008/06/18/t...rights-abuses/

Read the comments
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 06-19-2008, 11:58 AM
Banned

I love articles that hit you with big charges in the beggining and then don't expand on them (Like human trafficing...It was mentioned, but never exampled), or don't really dwell on WHERE these abuses are happening (since it happened in Japan and is therefore Japans problem/news).

I agree with their stance on no Unions. Unions were established during our industrial revolution when people were being abused and killed by their jobs. We have standards and the government to keep that stuff in check now.
post #3 of 18 Old 06-19-2008, 12:21 PM Thread Starter

You missed the article... Autoblog only summarizes the article... you need to click the green "Read" button after the blurb.

http://www.nlcnet.org/article.php?id=562

Excerpts from actual article:

"Toyota leads the Race to the Bottom: Toyota, now the largest auto company in the world, is using its size and success to impose its two-tier, low-wage model at its non-union plants across America, which will result in a race to the bottom with wages and benefits being slashed throughout the entire auto industry."

"Toyota sells more vehicles in the U.S. (2.92 million cars, vans and trucks) than in Japan (2.19 million) where its sales are falling."

"Toyota held its wages and benefits down by setting up non-union plants in the South, far from auto industries’ stronghold in the upper Midwest. (Toyota has just one unionized plant in Fremont, California, which is a joint venture with G.M.) To keep the unions out, Toyota has been paying hourly wages which are roughly comparable with the Big Three, but with much lower benefits. Toyota pays around $25 per hour in comparison with G.M.’s $26 to $28."

Toyota Also Spreads Fear In the U.S.
“They [Toyota] want people to fear losing their jobs”

Last edited by Linfone; 06-19-2008 at 12:27 PM.

post #4 of 18 Old 06-19-2008, 12:33 PM
Banned

You missed what I said. They claim human trafficking, but they do nothing to elaborate or substantiate, furthermore, it's not even in the US, therefore, it's the problem of whatever Country it is in.
Second, I don't agree with Unionizing because the time of the Union is gone.
Quote:
Low wage temps: a full one-third, or 10,000 Toyota assembly line workers, are low wage temp and subcontract workers who earn less than 60 percent of what full time workers do. Temps have few rights and are hired under contracts as short as four months.
YOU'RE A TEMP! Apply for a full time job! WTF?!
Quote:
Sweatshops and human trafficking: Toyota’s parts supply chain is riddled with sweatshop abuse, including the human trafficking of tens of thousands of foreign guest workers—mostly from China and Vietnam—to Japan, where they are stripped of their passports and forced to work grueling hours seven days a week, often earning less than half the legal minimum wage. Sixteen-hour shifts, from 8:00 a.m. to 12:00 midnight are common.
I assume if they could prove it, this would be in the mainstream media.
Quote:
Linked to Burmese Dictators: Toyota—through the Toyota Tsusho Corporation which is part of the Toyota Group—is involved in several joint business ventures with the ruthless military dictators of Burma, which put revenues into the pockets of the dictators who use it to repress Burma’s 50 million people.
Not America's problem.
Quote:
Toyota criticized by the ILO: The UN/International Labor Organization points to Toyota’s suppression of freedom of association at its plant in the Philippines as “an illustration of how a multinational company, apparently with little regard for corporate responsibility, has done everything in its power to prevent recognition and certification of the Toyota Motor Company Workers Association.” (ILO Working Group, December 2003.)
Not America's Problem.
Quote:
Toyota is Lowering Wages and Benefits in the U.S.
Tough economic times. Even $12.00/hr is a good wage for someone uneducated with no special skills. They could be flipping burgers for $6/hr. Gimme a break.
post #5 of 18 Old 06-19-2008, 12:57 PM
Banned

Oh, and if anyone wants to press the issue about human rights violations and how it's so terrible, look at the labels of everything on your person. If any of it says Made in China, Singapore, Thailand, India, Taiwan or anyplace other than America or EU, then you might want to reconsider your position.
post #6 of 18 Old 06-20-2008, 07:58 AM
Supporter of common sense

If this is true, it IS America's problem because car buyers may be unknowingly supporting this activity.

Not saying it is our problem is the type of ignorance that caused society to be in the piss poor shape it is today...

Joe :: Over Anxious 67 Camaro RS/SS L78
5thgenblog.com // Michigan Classics
Chevrolet Camaro in Transformers // My ebaY auctions

Hot Rod Search Google searches for gearheads!
post #7 of 18 Old 06-20-2008, 08:48 AM
See You On Course

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linfone View Post
"Toyota held its wages and benefits down by setting up non-union plants in the South, far from auto industries’ stronghold in the upper Midwest."
I love that. They makes it sound like Toyota did something bad. The annual income levels are waaay lower in the south than up north in EVERY job market. Why wouldn't you want to build a plant in Alabama, where you can pay workers half of what the ones in Detroit make, and it's still considered a good wage? If you are GM, you can't really pull out of Detroit and do that. But if you are building your first plant in the U.S., where would you rather build it? Around cheaper labor/housing costs, or around more expensive? No-brainer there.

2010 Stock IBM 2SS/RS

I found $80 in my jeans pocket. The kid in me said "buy nerf guns and candy!" But then the adult in me said "buy vodka, nerf guns and candy!"

post #8 of 18 Old 06-20-2008, 09:32 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by OverAnxious View Post
If this is true, it IS America's problem because car buyers may be unknowingly supporting this activity.

Not saying it is our problem is the type of ignorance that caused society to be in the piss poor shape it is today...
Did you look at the tags on your shirts, shoes, shorts, and stained underwear? Workers in those sweatshops probably get treated far worse. Do you think that NONE of the parts in American automobiles come from places like that? I guess ignorance is bliss, but get real.
post #9 of 18 Old 06-20-2008, 11:48 AM
Supporter of common sense

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devryn View Post
Did you look at the tags on your shirts, shoes, shorts, and stained underwear? Workers in those sweatshops probably get treated far worse. Do you think that NONE of the parts in American automobiles come from places like that? I guess ignorance is bliss, but get real.
WTF are you talking about? I never said any other company didn't do things like this, Toyota is the topic of the thread, try sticking to the topic.

Ignorance? I'm hardly ignorant to the topic. You post like you know me... stick to crying about mis-treatment on internet forums.

Joe :: Over Anxious 67 Camaro RS/SS L78
5thgenblog.com // Michigan Classics
Chevrolet Camaro in Transformers // My ebaY auctions

Hot Rod Search Google searches for gearheads!
post #10 of 18 Old 06-20-2008, 12:38 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OverAnxious View Post
WTF are you talking about? I never said any other company didn't do things like this, Toyota is the topic of the thread, try sticking to the topic.

Ignorance? I'm hardly ignorant to the topic. You post like you know me... stick to crying about mis-treatment on internet forums.
The more things change, the more they stay the same. If nothing else, the Guru is consistent!

Bob Lutz: "There's no doubt that a design-driven philosophy is the only one that will work. People who are not sensitive to design, people who don't care about vehicles, people who view a vehicle as an appliance, they just default to Toyota. We will never win that one."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page