Spycam: 2011 Chevrolet (don't call it a Cobalt) compact - ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts
Automotive Industry News For General Auto Industry news other than Camaro.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 06-24-2008, 12:22 AM Thread Starter
Supporting Super Moderator

Spycam: 2011 Chevrolet (don't call it a Cobalt) compact

http://www.motortrend.com/future/spi...act/index.html

Combine the now-signature Chevrolet horizontally split grille with "fierce eye" headlamps and a rakish, coupe-like four-door roofline, and you've got the replacement for the Cobalt, coming in two years. Last week, Rick Wagoner dropped all kinds of hints about the car at General Motors' annual meeting, including the likelihood that it won't be called "Cobalt," making that car a one-generation model nameplate.

When Chevy replaced the very old, straight-to-rental Cavalier with the Cobalt for 2005, it was touted as a Honda Civic-killer. It barely matched the retrograde 2001-2005 Civic, and was on the trailer a year later when the class-leading '06 Civic made its debut. With the '11 Chevy compact, GM may finally be learning that you have to figure out where Honda will be with its next-generation Civic and not just benchmark the current model. The Chevy compact (heck, why not call it "Chevy II?") will have more equipment, benchmark safety and quality, GM Chairman Wagoner promised at the corporation's shareholders' meeting earlier this week (see the Motor City Blogman post, "Wagoner to Hummer: Go Away"), and most important, "nine miles per gallon more than Chevy's entry in this segment today." (Note again, no mention of "Cobalt.") Add 9 mpg to the current 2.2L five-speed manual Cobalt, and you get 33 mpg city and/or 42 mpg highway (Wagoner didn't specify which, or if both). Who needs a Chevy Volt at twice the price? If GM can make this a big-volume car with that engine, it will go a long way to helping the company meet proposed 2011-15, and even 2020, Corporate Average Fuel Economy standards.

You're likely to see some design sharing between the Volt and the Cobalt replacement, including the grille, although the Volt probably will retain enough design uniqueness to make it stand out like a Toyota Prius. The Volt and post-Cobalt will ride on the new global Delta platform, shared with the next Opel/Vauxhall/Saturn Astra and Opel/Vauxhall Zafira MPV.

The new Chevy compact's 1.4L turbo will come from Flint, Michigan, which is scheduled to produce 1.0L to 1.4L fours for all those truck and SUV owners desperate to trade into smaller cars. A new 1.0L is likely slated for the 2011 Chevrolet Aveo replacement (also sold in Canada as the Pontiac Wave).

The Aveo switches to the new global Gamma platform converging GM's small Daewoo architecture with the Opel/Vauxhall Corsa. It also serves as the underpinnings for the next-generation Opel Meriva MPV, a potential candidate for import as an entry-level Saturn. This all sizes up as a big autumn of 2010 for Chevrolet, with the 2011 Volt, Cobalt replacement and Aveo replacement coming. It's a short time away, but can dealers, and consumers paying $4/gallon, wait even that long?

1998 Camaro A4 7.06 @ 96.5 MPH NA 1.47 best 60ft
2010 Camaro Tube Chassis work in progress
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 06-24-2008, 09:52 PM

ouch I do not like where the grill bar is placed..

1994 Z28 Autobot

I would like to thank the person that came up with these fine avatar and signature's.
post #3 of 9 Old 06-24-2008, 10:56 PM
Dark Side Moderator

I dont mind it. It looks like the Malibu's pissed off baby brother.

2005 Mustang GT-4.6L 3v /M5
2.3L Whipple Intercooled, 3.25'' pulley(11psi),FRPP 62mm TB, FRPP Stinger Axleback, UPR catted X-pipe, FRPP Handling Pack, 20'' Staggered Black Steeda Spyder Wheels, NT-05 Nittos, 3.73s, Hurst Shifter, and DF Centerforce Clutch
527rwhp, 479rwtq

post #4 of 9 Old 06-25-2008, 09:23 AM Thread Starter
Supporting Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jinx View Post
I dont mind it. It looks like the Malibu's pissed off baby brother.
I agree

1998 Camaro A4 7.06 @ 96.5 MPH NA 1.47 best 60ft
2010 Camaro Tube Chassis work in progress
post #5 of 9 Old 06-25-2008, 10:19 AM
ModernCamaro.com Founder / Former Camaro Disciple

I don't mind the look, I think it's good for the segment.

IMO they should keep the name Cobalt, show some confidence in your own product for once.

2001 Camaro Z28 H/C/I LH6 A4 3.42

Like ModernCamaro.com on Facebook!
post #6 of 9 Old 06-25-2008, 12:54 PM
See You On Course

I wouldn't call it a Cobalt, because to me the Cobalt now makes you think sporty compact coupe. Why does this sedan have to have the same name? It doesn't even really look like the Cobalt. Just call it something different, that way, if it doesn't deliver, you haven't soiled the name Cobalt. If it does do well, then you have 2 models that you can brag about.

2010 Stock IBM 2SS/RS

I found $80 in my jeans pocket. The kid in me said "buy nerf guns and candy!" But then the adult in me said "buy vodka, nerf guns and candy!"

post #7 of 9 Old 06-25-2008, 01:14 PM
www.camaroscotty.com

Garage
Let's call it the Nova. I miss that name....Maybe the Chevette!

http://www.camaroscotty.com
YAHOO IM:
CamaroScotty / FACEBOOK: Camaro Scotty
post #8 of 9 Old 06-25-2008, 01:28 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro Scotty View Post
Let's call it the Nova. I miss that name....Maybe the Chevette!
Nah, Corsica or Celebrity, lol

www.fquick.com/demonspeed
Present: '02 SS #7146
Past: '89 IROC-Z|'91 Z28|'00 SS #0795|'01 Z28
post #9 of 9 Old 06-25-2008, 02:52 PM

Looks like a Yaris. God help us all. On a personal note, it looks BETTER than the Yaris, but the grill placing seems about the same. Either way, I won't be buying one. I'm either buying a new V8 Camaro if that gas bill passes, or I'm buying a 2007 Sky RedLine, which is half the gas, twice the fun.

We the people of 5thGen.org, in order to form a more perfect Camaro, establish horsepower, ensure domestic dominance, promote The General's welfare, and secure the blessings of quality to ourselves and fellow drivers, do ordain and establish this constitution of the united enthusiasts of Camaro.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page