Correction:'09 Pontiac G8 GT will NOT have an optional 6-speed stick, GXP will - ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts
Automotive Industry News For General Auto Industry news other than Camaro.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old 06-30-2008, 12:10 PM Thread Starter
Supporting Super Moderator

Correction:'09 Pontiac G8 GT will NOT have an optional 6-speed stick, GXP will

http://www.autoblog.com/2008/06/24/c...-6-speed-stic/

Last week, we linked to a CarDomain piece about a lunch that gang had with GM's Bob Lutz. One of their topics of conversation with the product czar was manual transmissions, and it was reported that the '09 Pontiac G8 GT would be offered with an optional Tremec 6-speed manual transmission. This was certainly welcome news, both to us and readers. Unfortunately, it turns out that this information was, in fact, too good to be true. Pontiac's Jim Hopson dropped us a note this morning to clarify. In it, he writes, "We currently have no plans to offer the Tremec on any other G8 model (including the GT mentioned in the article), although it might be an option we could consider in the future." That's a bummer, and there you have it: The only way you'll be able to get a manual in the Pontiac G8 is if you pony up for the Łber-caliente GXP performance variant when it arrives later this year. Jim's email, in its entirety, is pasted after the jump.

Email:
Alex,

I read with interest your recent posting regarding your discussion with Bob Lutz. You correctly noted that we are ditching the center stack gauge cluster on the 2009 G8, plus we are adding XM satellite radio as standard equipment. You'll also note that the G8 price increase Mr. Lutz mentioned is consistent with other 2009 GM models as announced yesterday.

However, there may have been some miscommunication about the availability of the six-speed Tremec manual transmission on the G8. At this time, the manual tranny will only be available as an option on the G8 GXP model that will be released very late this year. We currently have no plans to offer the Tremec on any other G8 model (including the GT mentioned in the article), although it might be an option we could consider in the future.

I apologize for any confusion that the G8 model nomenclature (GT vs GXP) may have caused, but I wanted to ensure you had the correct information. Please let me know if I can provide any additional clarification or assistance.

Jim Hopson

Manager, Pontiac Communication

1998 Camaro A4 7.06 @ 96.5 MPH NA 1.47 best 60ft
2010 Camaro Tube Chassis work in progress
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 06-30-2008, 02:34 PM
Dark Side Moderator

Today's lesson: Never to Bob Lutz on specific car details.

That is horrible. Its not like it would hurt to offer it. Pansies.

2005 Mustang GT-4.6L 3v /M5
2.3L Whipple Intercooled, 3.25'' pulley(11psi),FRPP 62mm TB, FRPP Stinger Axleback, UPR catted X-pipe, FRPP Handling Pack, 20'' Staggered Black Steeda Spyder Wheels, NT-05 Nittos, 3.73s, Hurst Shifter, and DF Centerforce Clutch
527rwhp, 479rwtq
post #3 of 7 Old 06-30-2008, 04:54 PM

They should offer that as a **** option!!

2000 Hyundai Tiburon
1997 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP [email protected] **SOLD**

post #4 of 7 Old 07-01-2008, 08:41 AM
See You On Course

BOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!! Bad choice!!!!! It's freakin' there, just make it an option! BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

2010 Stock IBM 2SS/RS

I found $80 in my jeans pocket. The kid in me said "buy nerf guns and candy!" But then the adult in me said "buy vodka, nerf guns and candy!"

post #5 of 7 Old 07-01-2008, 04:09 PM
Veteran Member

How hard is it to OFFER the manual trans for cryin out loud?! (I just realized this was post # 700!)

Bob Lutz: "There's no doubt that a design-driven philosophy is the only one that will work. People who are not sensitive to design, people who don't care about vehicles, people who view a vehicle as an appliance, they just default to Toyota. We will never win that one."
post #6 of 7 Old 07-01-2008, 08:19 PM

That is exactly why I will take nothing into account until I see the camaro specs from the fbotfather himself or GMs website directly....

Or hell, maybe not until I see it on a lot. What a joke.
post #7 of 7 Old 07-03-2008, 10:40 PM

I was planning on getting the 6 speed auto anyhow and throwing a stall in it. I can just imagine how fun that would be.

2000 Red 1SC Z28 A4 - dead for now
2005 Black GTO M6 6.0 - Split daily driver
1987 Silver Fiero GT - Split daily driver
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page