Volt variants: GM plans more plug-in hybrids - ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts
Automotive Industry News For General Auto Industry news other than Camaro.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 08-26-2008, 02:43 AM Thread Starter
Automated News

Volt variants: GM plans more plug-in hybrids

General Motors used an annual gathering of automotive honchos to give us the latest glimpse of the production version of the Chevrolet Volt, which it promises will be revealed in whole later this fall.

More...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 08-26-2008, 03:32 AM

So the gas engine is NOT connected to the driveline? This makes me ask some questions:

1) How big is the gas tank - how many gallons?
2) How long will it take the gas engine to recharge the battery?
(I assume that the engine will "turn on" each time the battery completely
loses it's charge)

3) How much of the "angular" look have they removed? - I thought that type of look was one of the appealing aspects of the Volt.
post #3 of 9 Old 08-26-2008, 10:05 AM
ModernCamaro.com Founder / Former Camaro Disciple

In the Volt, the gas tank is about 8 gallons.

The engine does charge the battery, but only a little more than enough to make the battery work properly while the car is in use. This is done for maximum fuel efficieny, so it would take a long time for the battery to fully recharge while the car is in use.

While dormant, the battery fully charges in 8 hours, and uses about 1000 watts.
So assuming the cost of electricity is 12 per kWh, a full charge would cost only 96.

The overall look of the car is similar, it's just rounded instead of angular for better aerodynamics, and thus better fuel efficiency.

2001 Camaro Z28 H/C/I LH6 A4 3.42

Like ModernCamaro.com on Facebook!

post #4 of 9 Old 08-26-2008, 12:44 PM

so the volt will work on the same concept that a diesel-electric train does. the gas engine just powers the electric engine that powers the car. so the gas engine barelly works at all... just has to make sure the battery has a charge. very good GM. If im not mistaken GM will be the first to employ this technology.

Me in the Camaro!!

post #5 of 9 Old 08-26-2008, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SayUncle View Post
If im not mistaken GM will be the first to employ this technology.
I think it may be a race to production between GM, Honda, and Toyota. Kind of like the moon race. Although, I think the Volt should be the first one out.

Disclaimer: Per recent posts from individuals stating their opinion as fact, I warn that this is just an opinion and is not based on hard facts or reliable information.
post #6 of 9 Old 08-26-2008, 03:08 PM
See You On Course

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfaholic View Post
I think it may be a race to production between GM, Honda, and Toyota. Kind of like the moon race. Although, I think the Volt should be the first one out.

Disclaimer: Per recent posts from individuals stating their opinion as fact, I warn that this is just an opinion and is not based on hard facts or reliable information.
Yeah, except contrary to the moon race, this will ACTUALLY happen.

Oh, and that's also my opinion.

2010 Stock IBM 2SS/RS

I found $80 in my jeans pocket. The kid in me said "buy nerf guns and candy!" But then the adult in me said "buy vodka, nerf guns and candy!"

post #7 of 9 Old 08-26-2008, 03:12 PM
See You On Course

Wow, on a serious-er note, I could see solar panels to charge the batteries if you leave the car out, or even while you are driving during the day.

Hmmmm.....maybe I should start an aftermarket of Volt Panels.....

2010 Stock IBM 2SS/RS

I found $80 in my jeans pocket. The kid in me said "buy nerf guns and candy!" But then the adult in me said "buy vodka, nerf guns and candy!"

post #8 of 9 Old 08-26-2008, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CUONCRS View Post
Wow, on a serious-er note, I could see solar panels to charge the batteries if you leave the car out, or even while you are driving during the day.

I like how that was your seriouser note, you making after market volt panels. On another seriouser note, they actually do make a paint that could work in place of a solar panel. I feel so green right now
post #9 of 9 Old 08-26-2008, 04:45 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CUONCRS View Post

There are already solar panels one can buy that hook up to a normal car battery via gator clips.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy Clarkson
A turbo, exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, with a supercharger, air goes in, witchcraft happens and you go faster.
Best Car Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page