Tesla to Build All-Electric Luxury Sedan in California in 2010 - ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts
Automotive Industry News For General Auto Industry news other than Camaro.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old 09-18-2008, 08:47 AM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

Tesla to Build All-Electric Luxury Sedan in California in 2010

Continuing its investments, Tesla Motors announced that it is planning to build a $250 million facility to manufacture a zero-emission luxury sedan in the heart of Silicon Valley. Named Model S, the five-passenger sedan will be powered by a lithium-ion battery pack and according, it is expected to have a base price of $60,000 and get around 240 miles or 386 km per charge. The first sedans will likely roll off the Teslaís new assembly line in late 2010. Teslaís President and CEO Ze'ev Drori said that construction on the 89-acre site would begin in the summer of 2009 and when fully operational, the facility will employ approximately 1,000 workers. -Continued

The company also said that it will relocate its corporate headquarters and research and development efforts to a consolidated campus in San Jose, California. Tesla, which currently produces the all-electric, two-seater Lotus Elise-based Roadster, said that it chose San Jose in part because the region already enjoys a high concentration of highly skilled engineers and support infrastructure. The new factory will be located 20 miles from the current headquarters in San Carlos.

The new plant wonít affect the Roadster as Tesla has no plans of moving production from the Group Lotus PLC factory in Hethel, U.K. Last week the company said it was ramping up production as about 1,200 people have already put down deposits for the Roadster. So far, Tesla has delivered only about 30 Roadsters.

If Telsa is estimating 240 miles per charge why does the Volt only get 40?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 09-18-2008, 09:35 AM
Veteran Member

"If Telsa is estimating 240 miles per charge why does the Volt only get 40?"

Because Tesla's car don't have to be affordable. They can charge a lot. If the Volt could get 240 MPC (miles per charge) it would be around 80K with the Lexus and Mercedes Hybrids.

I'm waiting for a Fisker Karma Coupe.

┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐
post #3 of 8 Old 09-18-2008, 09:45 AM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

I guess you have a valid point. . . the Telsa is suppose to start around 60k.

post #4 of 8 Old 09-18-2008, 04:47 PM
Veteran Member

Plus the Tesla doesn't have a way to refuel the battery on the go. So once that 240 hits, you're dead in the water.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy Clarkson
A turbo, exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, with a supercharger, air goes in, witchcraft happens and you go faster.
Best Car Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote
post #5 of 8 Old 09-18-2008, 05:42 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

eh, yeah I understand that but it is 100% petrol free. . . That is what I'm looking at. . . Dead in the water means. . . pull into ANY place with a power outlet and charge up.

post #6 of 8 Old 09-18-2008, 05:48 PM
Veteran Member

Yes, if they let you, and wait SEVERAL hours for it to charge.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Quote:
A turbo, exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, with a supercharger, air goes in, witchcraft happens and you go faster.
post #7 of 8 Old 09-19-2008, 03:36 AM

Location: San Francisco, CA (also known as the Prius capital of the world)

My Camaro broke down at a gas station at 11pm in a bad neighborhood and the gas station attendant wouldn't let me use their outlet to plug in a lamp so I could see what was wrong. I doubt if I rolled up in my electric car they would be anymore forgiving.
post #8 of 8 Old 09-19-2008, 05:40 AM
Veteran Member

Not to mention it would take SEVERAL hours for the Tesla to recharge.

Quote:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page