GM tops imports in quality - ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts
Automotive Industry News For General Auto Industry news other than Camaro.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 Old 10-02-2008, 06:04 PM Thread Starter

GM tops imports in quality

source http://thewheeldeal.blogs.fortune.cnn.com

News | Markets | Technology | Personal Finance | Small Business | CNN.com
Subscribe To Fortune Magazine
Magazine Customer Service

RSS Newsletters Video Home Fortune 500 Technology Investing Management Rankings
The Wheel Deal
It's all about the product.
By Alex Taylor III
Type Size October 1, 2008, 9:41 am
Upheaval in the ranks: Malibu aces midsize car quality
Model-line quality data compiled by JD Power and Associates finds its way into the media only rarely because the California survey firm guards it to avoid embarrassing clients.

So when Power’s 2008 Initial Quality numbers for midsize cars leaked recently, they warranted some further scrutiny. And parsing the numbers reveals some surprising developments

First, some background: For years, Power has been measuring the quality of cars after 90 days of ownership by surveying their owners. Everything counts the same: A malfunctioning ashtray is tabulated with the same weight as a seized engine. In the last couple of years, Power has been subdividing the complaints into design problems and defects/malfunctions but the totals remain comparable with previous years – and carries enormous bragging rights.

As long as I can remember, Japanese manufacturers have been regarded as the gold standard in quality. No more. This year’s IQS winner in the midsize segment, by a healthy margin, is the Chevrolet Malibu, with a mere 80 problems per 100 customers. That’s an excellent showing for a car in its first year of production, when assembly plants are still learning how to put the pieces together.

Other non-Asians also did well. The Ford Fusion finished third with 88 problems, the Volkswagen Passat ranked fourth with 94, and the Buick LaCrosse came in fifth with 96. Buick traditionally scores well in these surveys, but Ford and VW are both moving up the charts.

To be sure, two Japanese models, the Mitsubishi Galant and Toyota Camry also finished in the top five. But the Nissan Altima finished below average, as did, shockingly, the Honda Accord. Nissan is typically an also-ran in quality, but Honda has been a leader in the past. The 2008 Accord – another model in its first year of production - fell all the way from second in last year’s midsize survey with 22 more defects per 100.

Bringing up the rear in the midsize quality ranks was the Subaru Outback Wagon – another historical also-ran – and two Chrysler products: the Dodge Avenger and the mechanically identical Chrysler Sebring. They recorded 171 and 183 defects respectively, more than twice as many as the Malibu.

A couple of conclusions can be drawn from this data. One, it is possible for American mass-producers to equal or better the quality of their overseas competitors. And two, it still makes sense to avoid purchasing a car during its first year of production – even though that car may carry a famous Asian name on the trunk lid.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 10-02-2008, 06:14 PM

Cool, good to hear it.
post #3 of 10 Old 10-02-2008, 06:28 PM

No suprise to me.

2005 CTSV BLACK LS7 Clutch/Flywheel/Slave, Tick Speed Bleeder, Tilton Clutch MC, RevShift Bushings, Domestic V8 Solutions (shifter, 8.8 Diff conversion, srut tower braces, sub-frame connectors), SLP cats, no cags, xpipe, bullet mufflers, Volante, iPod dock, G-force tune; 379hp 381tq.

Killing 5th gens like it is my job.

Last edited by 54inches; 10-13-2008 at 09:37 PM.

post #4 of 10 Old 10-13-2008, 06:27 AM

can everyone please tell all their friends and families these FACTS about GM quality.
post #5 of 10 Old 10-13-2008, 08:10 AM
Veteran Member

time to buy GM stock.

2010-2SS/RS/LS3/IBM/RP6: ECS-Paxton Supercharger / American Racing Headers & Exhaust / PFADT Suspension / DSS 9" 4.10 Rear / FOR SALE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taglane View Post
Powerfreak is the only one who actually understood anything.
post #6 of 10 Old 10-13-2008, 11:53 AM
Veteran Member

Where are the toyota trolls NOW???? Morons.

Bob Lutz: "There's no doubt that a design-driven philosophy is the only one that will work. People who are not sensitive to design, people who don't care about vehicles, people who view a vehicle as an appliance, they just default to Toyota. We will never win that one."
post #7 of 10 Old 10-13-2008, 05:14 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 54inches View Post
No suprise to me.
fixed

Quote:
Facebook has sucked me into Farmtown.

What can I say I love virtual plowing.
post #8 of 10 Old 10-13-2008, 09:36 PM

I needed that.

TTT for all the trolls on this site that that love their "subies"!

2005 CTSV BLACK LS7 Clutch/Flywheel/Slave, Tick Speed Bleeder, Tilton Clutch MC, RevShift Bushings, Domestic V8 Solutions (shifter, 8.8 Diff conversion, srut tower braces, sub-frame connectors), SLP cats, no cags, xpipe, bullet mufflers, Volante, iPod dock, G-force tune; 379hp 381tq.

Killing 5th gens like it is my job.
post #9 of 10 Old 10-13-2008, 09:50 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
I needed that.

TTT for all the trolls on this site that that love their "subies"!
are you calling someone out???

Quote:
Facebook has sucked me into Farmtown.

What can I say I love virtual plowing.
post #10 of 10 Old 10-14-2008, 02:16 PM

I generally trust Consumer Reports more than J.D. Power. But congrats on getting your Malibu on first place. Next step, getting the Camaro on top 10?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page