Rick Wagoner on CSPAN - ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts
Automotive Industry News For General Auto Industry news other than Camaro.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 Old 11-20-2008, 07:27 AM Thread Starter
Supporter of common sense

Rick Wagoner on CSPAN

Last night I watched the reply on CSPAN of the automaker buyout discussuion. Rick Wagoner really blew it in front of the panel. The panel made some VERY good points against the automakers.

Rick did not provide direct replies to the financial questions, taking a GM private jet there and asking for a handout, not willing to take a pay cut more than 50%, come on GM, you have to do better than this.

I've been on the fence about this bailout 'bridge loan' all along, I'm starting to fall towards the side to turn it down.

When do these 'loans' stop? Each town in America has their bread and butter industry, do we bail all of them out?

This sucks all around.

Joe :: Over Anxious 67 Camaro RS/SS L78
5thgenblog.com // Michigan Classics
Chevrolet Camaro in Transformers // My ebaY auctions

Hot Rod Search Google searches for gearheads!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 11-20-2008, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OverAnxious View Post
Last night I watched the reply on CSPAN of the automaker buyout discussuion. Rick Wagoner really blew it in front of the panel. The panel made some VERY good points against the automakers.

Rick did not provide direct replies to the financial questions, taking a GM private jet there and asking for a handout, not willing to take a pay cut more than 50%, come on GM, you have to do better than this.

I've been on the fence about this bailout 'bridge loan' all along, I'm starting to fall towards the side to turn it down.

When do these 'loans' stop? Each town in American has their bread and butter industry, do we bail all of them out?

This sucks all around.
Agreed

D.R.
post #3 of 20 Old 11-20-2008, 07:34 AM Thread Starter
Supporter of common sense

I can't believe the GM senior staff is still even taking a salary - it is BS at it's best. Lee Iaccoca was the man

I voted against every elected official who voted in favor of the financial bailout in our area in November and I will do the same if this one goes through. Companies/businesses need to own up.

Both of my parents are lifetime GM employees and are still in jeapordy of losing their jobs very soon if the bailout goes through or not. I saw some stupid Ford worker on the news last night, she is foolish enough to think if this bailout goes through she will not lose her job. Wake up people... These companies need to clean house and change things big time. That is the only way out of this.

Joe :: Over Anxious 67 Camaro RS/SS L78
5thgenblog.com // Michigan Classics
Chevrolet Camaro in Transformers // My ebaY auctions

Hot Rod Search Google searches for gearheads!

post #4 of 20 Old 11-20-2008, 12:15 PM
ModernCamaro.com Founder / Former Camaro Disciple

Personally I think if GM, Ford and Chrysler should get bailout money.

Executive salary isn't the issue to look at, but Entire Compensation is.
They can take a salary of $1 and still make millions (options, bonuses, etc).

In exchange for a bailout, I think part of the deal should be making the entire upper-level management team of each company either agree to an entire compensation package of $1 or be removed from their position.
That way you have people working to fix the problem because they CARE ABOUT IT and WANT TO, not just to make a paycheck.

Additionally, another part of the deal should be to completely replace the boards of directors of the three companies.

That would be a **** good fresh start if you ask me.

2001 Camaro Z28 H/C/I LH6 A4 3.42

Like ModernCamaro.com on Facebook!
post #5 of 20 Old 11-20-2008, 12:16 PM
Veteran Member

check the news...supposedly there's been an aid/loan package agreed upon in the senate....GM stock is on the rise It's a start...hopefully they can make it work.

http://www.reuters.com/article/marke...0081120?rpc=44

http://www.thestreet.com/_yahoo/mark...FREE&cm_ite=NA

2010-2SS/RS/LS3/IBM/RP6: ECS-Paxton Supercharger / American Racing Headers & Exhaust / PFADT Suspension / DSS 9" 4.10 Rear / FOR SALE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taglane View Post
Powerfreak is the only one who actually understood anything.

Last edited by POWERFREAK; 11-20-2008 at 12:21 PM.
post #6 of 20 Old 11-20-2008, 12:27 PM
Banned

I HATE the politics involved in this situation. Congress is focusing on Exec salaries and benefits which have absolutely NOTHING to do with the issue at hand. Compaired to the overall spending of each of these companies, the exec salary and the cost to fly the jet to DC (provided by the company and REQUIRED to be used for insurance reasons), is nothing. Are these men supposed to put on a show and act like paupers for the media? That's ridiculous.

Bottom line, they bailed out AIG, and IMO AIG had the most fraudalent practices I've ever seen. Why can't they bailout struggling automakers? Do they realize what's at stake? Why aren't they focusing on important issues? They should be asking for how the automakers plan to spend/invest the bailout money, not complaining because they make more money than them.
post #7 of 20 Old 11-20-2008, 12:34 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devryn View Post
I HATE the politics involved in this situation. Congress is focusing on Exec salaries and benefits which have absolutely NOTHING to do with the issue at hand. Compaired to the overall spending of each of these companies, the exec salary and the cost to fly the jet to DC (provided by the company and REQUIRED to be used for insurance reasons), is nothing. Are these men supposed to put on a show and act like paupers for the media? That's ridiculous.

Bottom line, they bailed out AIG, and IMO AIG had the most fraudalent practices I've ever seen. Why can't they bailout struggling automakers? Do they realize what's at stake? Why aren't they focusing on important issues? They should be asking for how the automakers plan to spend/invest the bailout money, not complaining because they make more money than them.

^^^ I agree 1000%...it's effin BS.

2010-2SS/RS/LS3/IBM/RP6: ECS-Paxton Supercharger / American Racing Headers & Exhaust / PFADT Suspension / DSS 9" 4.10 Rear / FOR SALE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taglane View Post
Powerfreak is the only one who actually understood anything.
post #8 of 20 Old 11-20-2008, 12:38 PM
ModernCamaro.com Founder / Former Camaro Disciple

With ya on that too...
I think they're just arguing over where the money would come from.

Stupid Congress!
Give them the money, and decide LATER where it comes from! GEEZ!

2001 Camaro Z28 H/C/I LH6 A4 3.42

Like ModernCamaro.com on Facebook!
post #9 of 20 Old 11-20-2008, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devryn View Post
Are these men supposed to put on a show and act like paupers for the media? That's ridiculous.

No, it's not ridiculous at all. Since when is flying first class humiliating? Were they worried they would be assaulted? This just shows the level of hubris. It's embarrassing.
I agree with the gentleman that started this thread. Sometimes appearances are important, and without question this was a collossal PR blunder.
post #10 of 20 Old 11-20-2008, 01:16 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fourth Camaro View Post
No, it's not ridiculous at all. Since when is flying first class humiliating? Were they worried they would be assaulted? This just shows the level of hubris. It's embarrassing.
I agree with the gentleman that started this thread. Sometimes appearances are important, and without question this was a collossal PR blunder.
Did you read the part about the use of the Private Jet being MANDATORY for these execs? If they flew commercial they would be breaking their contract with their respective companies. That's right, they're REQUIRED to fly on the provided private jet per their CONTRACT. There was no choice to be made. Congress isn't stupid (well...maybe they are), but they KNEW that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page