R-E-S-P-E-C-T: Find out what it means to Chevy - ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts
Automotive Industry News For General Auto Industry news other than Camaro.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 Old 01-01-2009, 04:41 PM Thread Starter

R-E-S-P-E-C-T: Find out what it means to Chevy

It's refreshing to see GM get some good press every now and then.

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll...10/1148/AUTO01

Little cars get no respect.

But the court of public opinion requires that nearly every carmaker bring out a subcompact of some type. It takes wee wheels for automakers to earn some respect from frugal consumers, fuel conservationists and federally elected officials.

These tiny vehicles may not be the savior for the environment or for any particular carmaker, unless consumers decide they're willing to pay $30,000 for them. But some are starting to earn a little R-E-S-P-E-C-T in Motown.

The reason: Fashionable little four-bangers continue to get better. First was the redesigned Honda Fit, and now, rolling into showrooms is the 2009 Chevrolet Aveo5.

Advertisement

This boxy people hauler starts at $12,625, making it one of the least expensive new cars available (many used cars cost more).

It's roomy, peppy and comes with more personality than similarly priced competition.

This addition to the Chevy family takes on a much squarer look than its sedan sibling. Designers chopped off its trunk, creating a big opening on the back -- commonly referred to as a fifth door. Some day, it'll be OK to call it what it is: a hatchback. I've never understood car companies' disdain for the word hatchback. It's not evil, consumers don't mind it, and not calling it what it is seems foolish, like we won't know it's a hatchback.

Standout hatchback
The hatch helps the Aveo5 stand out. It's a good look, and it plays multiple utilitarian roles, such as making it extremely easy to park as well as load big things in the back. Few other exterior features add to its looks. It's not like the designers had a lot of sheet metal to work with.

Tightening up the wheel wells over 14-inch tires isn't going to make this car look fast or powerful. The wraparound headlights look slightly oversized, and the big air intakes and gold blow tie point to Chevy's new unenthusiastic global face. The little fender vents seem over the top and a waste of plastic.

Inside, the Aveo5 offers lots of room. At 6 feet tall, I could fit in the front or rear comfortably. There is 41.3 inches of legroom up front and the stadium seating in the back gives passengers a little more room to see.

Chevy upgraded the interior materials, though there is a certain economical feel to this vehicle. Every part of the cabin feels well built, though it's difficult to know how it will hold up over the long haul.

However, there are some nice surprises inside, which certainly add value at minimal costs. The base stereo includes an auxiliary jack to play a personal music device, and the optional upgraded stereo is CD/MP3 compatible with six speakers. My test vehicle included the optional steering wheel controls for the stereo and satellite radio.

While the back end looks lopped off, there's a surprising amount of space -- 12.6 cubic feet -- behind the seats.

Fold down the 60/40 split second row and there is 42 cubic feet of space. That's more than enough room to carry a large television or all of a college student's dirty clothes.

Power to keep up with peers
The revving heart of the Aveo5 is Chevy's dual overhead cam 1.6-liter in-line four-cylinder engine tied to a five-speed manual transmission. The 106-horsepower engine also produces 106-pound-feet of torque at 3,800 rpm. The power is on par with the other popular subcompacts -- the Honda Fit (117 horsepower), the Nissan Versa (107 horsepower) and the Toyota Yaris (106 horsepower).

The engine helps the Aveo5 match the competition on gas mileage as well. It reaches 27 miles per gallon in the city and 34 mpg on the highway. During my week of testing, I was able to achieve 30 mpg in a mix of driving.

The Aveo5 offers an optional four-speed automatic transmission which hits 34 mpg on the highway and 25 mpg in the city. I'd stick with the stick.

Gas mileage is important, but it's still not everything. A car should still be fun.

The manual transmission let me press it a little harder around town, where the 97.6-inch wheelbase gave it a go-kart like feel. It whined a little on the highway and the road noise was noticeable, but nothing out of the ordinary for a car this small.

There was one unintended feature: The gear shifter vibrated in my hand when cruising, especially when I'd take my foot off the gas.

But that didn't dissuade me from pushing this car. Its high body rolled only a little in big turns and the car's zip let me cut off much bigger vehicles with ease. The lines of sight were excellent and its petite size let me squeeze into tight spots.

The power rack-and-pinion steering had a well-weighted feel, especially around town, where the Aveo5 excelled.

The original Aveo, the cheapest new car to own according to Edmunds.com, is nice. The Aveo5 is nicer.

It may not pass every vehicle on the road today, but it's not going to eat everything in your wallet either. While the savings won't buy you respect, its performance and frugal approach to space might earn some from you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 01-01-2009, 06:47 PM
Veteran Member

My G5 rates 25/37..and is much larger.

And more peppier.
:p

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy Clarkson
A turbo, exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, with a supercharger, air goes in, witchcraft happens and you go faster.
Best Car Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote
post #3 of 11 Old 01-02-2009, 01:16 AM

Yes, it's refreshing to see some good press for GM, but the problem is that the prose is written for the Chevy Aveo. That's the kind of car you buy only because it's what you can afford.

I'm confident that the Ford Fiesta will embarrass anyone who owns an Aveo...

post #4 of 11 Old 01-02-2009, 01:44 AM Thread Starter

You mean the 2011 Fiesta?

If GM gets back on their feet soon enough maybe some new products will be in the pipeline by then.
post #5 of 11 Old 01-02-2009, 06:35 AM
Veteran Member

I would have looked at an Aveo if it was actually built in America, I couldn't get a Daewoo.

Something about buying a vehicle from a company that also makes firearms(including explosives)..and a LOT of other things...

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy Clarkson
A turbo, exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, with a supercharger, air goes in, witchcraft happens and you go faster.
Best Car Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote
post #6 of 11 Old 01-02-2009, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by USA1Camaro View Post
You mean the 2011 Fiesta?

If GM gets back on their feet soon enough maybe some new products will be in the pipeline by then.
It's due in 2010, actually. 2011 is just the model year.

http://www.fordvehicles.com/2011fiesta/

Note the "Coming early 2010" note...
post #7 of 11 Old 01-02-2009, 06:42 PM Thread Starter

I saw the coming in early 2010 note. The Cruze looks to be a good model that will be able to compete against some of the smaller Ford brand products.

"GM has surprised us all amidst rumours that its hopeful Chevrolet Cruze compact car has been postponed - quite far from it in fact. "

http://paultan.org/archives/2008/11/...e-south-korea/

R-E-S-P-E-C-T: Find out what it means to Chevy-normal_daewoo-lacetti-premiere-04.jpg

R-E-S-P-E-C-T: Find out what it means to Chevy-daewoo-lacetti-premiere-11.jpg

R-E-S-P-E-C-T: Find out what it means to Chevy-normal_daewoo-lacetti-premiere-09.jpg

R-E-S-P-E-C-T: Find out what it means to Chevy-normal_daewoo-lacetti-premiere-12.jpg
post #8 of 11 Old 01-02-2009, 07:02 PM Thread Starter

Another article I missed:

http://www.autoblog.com/2008/10/30/g...etti-premiere/

The Chevy Cruze era has begun in South Korea, except the sedan will be badged as the Lacetti Premiere. General Motors partner Daewoo is producing the fuel efficient sedan for Korea, the first market to get one of GM's most important future vehicles. The Cruze is the first truly global vehicle that the General will produce, with a keen eye on fuel economy and scalability. The Lacetti Premiere will come equipped with the same 1.6L powerplant with 140 hp as the rest of the world, meaning fuel economy is reported to approach 40 mpg on the highway. Europe won't receive the Cruze until early 2009, with the U.S. getting the Bow Tie-branded sedan in 2010...at the earliest.

R-E-S-P-E-C-T: Find out what it means to Chevy-cruze-reveal-1280-19.jpg

R-E-S-P-E-C-T: Find out what it means to Chevy-002_11chevycruze.jpg

R-E-S-P-E-C-T: Find out what it means to Chevy-cruze-reveal-1280-23.jpg

R-E-S-P-E-C-T: Find out what it means to Chevy-cruze-reveal-1280-31.jpg
post #9 of 11 Old 01-02-2009, 07:10 PM
Veteran Member

I think the Cruze looks cool.
post #10 of 11 Old 01-02-2009, 09:30 PM

I'm not arguing about the Cruze, that's the small car GM should have been producing for a while. Thing is, why the delay? It should be out a year earlier than that. Is the changeover for the Cobalt plant taking long? GM should speed it up, stat.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page