Convertible top marks - ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts
Camaro Convertible Discussion Drop your top! Discuss the Camaro Convertible here.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 Old 07-04-2011, 08:35 AM Thread Starter

Convertible top marks

Well after 1200 miles with the top down I had some small marks showing up on my top. Yesterday I unscrewed the headliner from the bracket on both sides of the car. I took some side cutter pliers and carefully cut each bracket off at a angle just so i had 1/8 inch of plastic left for the outside screw. then I took a file and filed it round. It gave it about 1/8" more clearance witch i think will be enough. Then I put the 2 little screws back in on both sides and then took a tube of silicone and put some on the back side of both screws so they are not sticking out with a sharp edge when the top is resting on it. Hope this works.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 07-04-2011, 09:03 AM
Support MC & Troops

IMO that should work for yo top, great fix, for DYS +

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

Getting way pumped up ..LOL(Never giving up !)

The all new Convertible (Born 1/11/11) !, Welcome to the Fleet !
SHADOW 2013 GBA 2SS/RS A6 Vert (2/13/14)
"FROST 2011 SIM LT1 A6 " FIRST VERT MOTM AUGUST 2013
*PROTESTING GM*
"GIVE ME MY13'IBM ZL1 vert GM!"
post #3 of 17 Old 07-04-2011, 04:02 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotrodhoodrat View Post
IMO that should work for yo top, great fix, for DYS +
Well i just went out and put on 125 miles with the top down. It looks like I got it fixed. No indentations no marks it looks good. The silicone on the screws works real good.makes everything soft and blunt.

post #4 of 17 Old 07-04-2011, 05:53 PM

There is a service bulletin for this. Do a search on the forums and schedule an appointment to have it repaired/replaced/etc.

2011 2SS CGM/IO Convertible - MySSt
post #5 of 17 Old 07-04-2011, 05:59 PM
Premium Member

My dealer claimed that this was fixed at the factory, sadly they were wrong, I'm seeing it happen now. I'll be paying them a visit next week...can't see fixing it myself due to the risk of voiding my warranty as well as general uselessness at fixing things on my part!

Tib

My Camaro History -
'71 Placer/India Gold, Z23
'95 Arctic White, T-tops, LT
'11 Summit White "Trek" 'Vert, 2SS/RS
post #6 of 17 Old 07-04-2011, 06:15 PM Thread Starter

Ya i know about the bulletin. Some wear still having issues after a new top was put on. I did not let mine get to the point of any permanent damage.I was aware of the issue and have been watching for it. So as soon as I saw it I did my own investigation and fixed it myself. I already have had my whole interior apart seats out and every inside body piece off when I installed all new component speakers and built a custom en closer for a high powered sub woofer in the factory location. I build parts for the navy's nuclear submarines so this stuff is right up my alley . I would rather do it than trust a dealer mechanic.Nothing against a mechanic just that I take real pride in doing it myself.
post #7 of 17 Old 07-05-2011, 06:21 AM

I've only noticed two small marks, smaller than a pencil eraser on both sides. Doesn't seem too bad...yet. Sometimes, the cure is worse than the illness, so i'll just keep an eye on it for now.

Proud owner of Litho #198
post #8 of 17 Old 07-06-2011, 12:41 PM
Premium Member

That seems to be different than what I've got going Pony, maybe you missed this particular issue. I'm not sure how well my worn area will show up on film, but am going to try to capture it this weekend and post. There are plenty of shots elsewhere of the problem.

BTW did you get the umbrella damage squared away yet? Everything else going well on your 'vert? Hope so!

Tib

My Camaro History -
'71 Placer/India Gold, Z23
'95 Arctic White, T-tops, LT
'11 Summit White "Trek" 'Vert, 2SS/RS
post #9 of 17 Old 07-06-2011, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiberious View Post
That seems to be different than what I've got going Pony, maybe you missed this particular issue. I'm not sure how well my worn area will show up on film, but am going to try to capture it this weekend and post. There are plenty of shots elsewhere of the problem.

BTW did you get the umbrella damage squared away yet? Everything else going well on your 'vert? Hope so!

Tib
Everythings good. Have had a blast with the vert thus far, and yes, the unbrella incident was taken care of. You may have been the wiser of us as far as the front slot delete goes; no cracks, but the epoxy swelled/expanded on curing and you can see the outline of the old mailslot. (we are calling it the ghost slot to match the ghost rallies). It's going back to the body shop this fall for a complete front end "re-do" at no charge to me to attempt it again, or get a SS fascia. Looked at Hyltons in Oshawa and it was perfect. The ACC guy however stated they tried for over 3 months, and couldn't get it to completely disappear. Who knows!! Hopefully next spring, everything will be perfect again. Hope all is well with yours as well.

Proud owner of Litho #198
post #10 of 17 Old 07-07-2011, 10:11 AM
Support MC & Troops

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pony View Post
Everythings good. Have had a blast with the vert thus far, and yes, the unbrella incident was taken care of. You may have been the wiser of us as far as the front slot delete goes; no cracks, but the epoxy swelled/expanded on curing and you can see the outline of the old mailslot. (we are calling it the ghost slot to match the ghost rallies). It's going back to the body shop this fall for a complete front end "re-do" at no charge to me to attempt it again, or get a SS fascia. Looked at Hyltons in Oshawa and it was perfect. The ACC guy however stated they tried for over 3 months, and couldn't get it to completely disappear. Who knows!! Hopefully next spring, everything will be perfect again. Hope all is well with yours as well.
Pony don't you mean an LS fascia, the SS ones all have the mail slot or do they

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

Getting way pumped up ..LOL(Never giving up !)

The all new Convertible (Born 1/11/11) !, Welcome to the Fleet !
SHADOW 2013 GBA 2SS/RS A6 Vert (2/13/14)
"FROST 2011 SIM LT1 A6 " FIRST VERT MOTM AUGUST 2013
*PROTESTING GM*
"GIVE ME MY13'IBM ZL1 vert GM!"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page