Tonneau cover hard to get on - convertible top - ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts
Camaro Convertible Discussion Drop your top! Discuss the Camaro Convertible here.

3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 Old 07-22-2011, 05:41 PM Thread Starter

Tonneau cover hard to get on - convertible top

Hello,
New to this forum, but been driving Camaros a long time. I ordered a nice new SS 2011 Convertible, upgraded the exhaust, sounds great, but only problem is the top. It flaps in the wind without the tonneau cover on, and it takes 10 mins struggling to get the clips onto the posts. The design is horrible, I doubt many weaker persons could even snap the top on. Has any one heard of anyone modifying the the hooks, to make it easier to fasten. I think some heavy duty snaps would work great, or very strong magnetic fastener. Please let me know, I will design my own soon. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 07-22-2011, 05:50 PM
www.camaroscotty.com

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by tony1979 View Post
Hello,
New to this forum, but been driving Camaros a long time. I ordered a nice new SS 2011 Convertible, upgraded the exhaust, sounds great, but only problem is the top. It flaps in the wind without the tonneau cover on, and it takes 10 mins struggling to get the clips onto the posts. The design is horrible, I doubt many weaker persons could even snap the top on. Has any one heard of anyone modifying the the hooks, to make it easier to fasten. I think some heavy duty snaps would work great, or very strong magnetic fastener. Please let me know, I will design my own soon. Thanks.

Sounds like the dealer didn't show you how to put it on correctly.... snaps first, tuck in ends, the tuck in the back under the lip. It should not flap.

http://www.camaroscotty.com
YAHOO IM:
CamaroScotty / FACEBOOK: Camaro Scotty
post #3 of 13 Old 07-22-2011, 08:08 PM

its not that hard. I can do it myself in about 2 mins tops. tuck in front flap first then the sides then the back. then snap in the front sides

post #4 of 13 Old 07-23-2011, 03:22 AM
Support MC & Troops

& Welcome to MC

Please post on our new members thread so we can give you a warm welcome !

Wow, maybe ya should have your dealer help ya like Scotty said and
ya never know there maybe something causing a problem too

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

Getting way pumped up ..LOL(Never giving up !)

The all new Convertible (Born 1/11/11) !, Welcome to the Fleet !
SHADOW 2013 GBA 2SS/RS A6 Vert (2/13/14)
"FROST 2011 SIM LT1 A6 " FIRST VERT MOTM AUGUST 2013
*PROTESTING GM*
"GIVE ME MY13'IBM ZL1 vert GM!"
post #5 of 13 Old 09-23-2011, 12:47 PM

I found the engineering behind how the convertible top stowed to be very poor with this plastic tourneau cover and there is also something you have to do in the truck (looks like a roller shade). Why couldn't they have done a system like what is on the Corvette with the trunk style tourneau. I sincerely hope they change it, then perhaps I would consider buying one.
post #6 of 13 Old 04-15-2012, 08:07 PM

Here's my advice on the posts/clips...

You need (2) sets of washers, x2 each. Both the inner diameter to go over the post thread, one set, a thin washer, equal to the diameter of the post itself. The other, a 2.5-3" diameter...

Take out your posts (be careful not ton lose the nut down the frame) install the smaller washer between the post before it hits the plastic frame... this will serve to "elongate"thebpost and give a bit more room to grasp when installing. Then install the large washer at the very front, against the trim plastic... this will hold the plastic from buckling up when the bolts tightened and interfereing with attempts to get the clips to secure.

Been running this way for over a year, tanneau is the least of my complaints now, lol!
Good luck!
post #7 of 13 Old 07-09-2012, 04:59 PM
Premium Member

If you go to my pix, I up loaded the photo instructions. Very crude but it helped me....Hey! I got it to attach! Hope this helps.
E
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	top recall 002.JPG
Views:	1133
Size:	72.8 KB
ID:	14187  
PDXSSCE likes this.

post #8 of 13 Old 03-29-2016, 10:59 PM

What's your advice?

This week the weather is warming enough to drop the top for the first time since purchasing my Camaro. It's the first convertible I've owned.
My commute is 12 miles / 35 minutes, 8 of which are on a freeway, with brief spurts hitting 55 mph.
Would you forgo the time involved in putting the tonneau cover on/off or spend the time putting it on/off?

post #9 of 13 Old 03-30-2016, 06:04 AM
Premium Member

I do in town trips without the cover, but my work commute is about 25 minutes at highway speeds. I never do that without the cover. I have a 12 with the bungie straps and have modified it with the Velcro as discussed on this forum.

PDXSSCE likes this.
post #10 of 13 Old 04-01-2016, 09:54 PM
Veteran Member

Garage
I really really have to stop letting my tonneau cover sit in the trunk collecting dust. I'm going to make the move this weekend to actually take it out and see if I can attach it and NOT lose it (as quite a few have on the freeway). Hmmm....maybe I should pull the wind deflector out of the trunk while I'm at it.
PDXSSCE likes this.

2013 2LT/ RS Blue Ray Metallic VERT..."Cami"
2010 Grabber Blue Mustang VERT......."Stella Blue"

January 2014 MC Member of the Month!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page