Leaky, Creeky Top Woes - ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts
Camaro Convertible Discussion Drop your top! Discuss the Camaro Convertible here.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 31 Old 11-17-2011, 07:18 AM Thread Starter

Unhappy Leaky, Creeky Top Woes

Well folks, I took delivery of a brand new Twighlight Yellow SS convertible a few weeks ago and yesterday I dropped it off at the dealership for its fourth round of repairs.

It started out with no heat, that was an easy fix, then I noticed the release latch on the rear of the drivers seat did not work. The part was ordered. These are the easy fixes and I'm not too concerned.

The Top on the other hand is proving to be very problematic. When adding a set of Weather Tech Custom floor mats, I noticed the rear passenger floor was soaking wet. I looked online and noticed an ever growing number of convertible owners complaining about a similar issue. When it went in the first time, the Service Manager advised me that there is a bladder under the rear of the top, designed to collect and channel water to a connecting drain tube. The problem it seems is that when the top retracts, it puts pressure on the bladder and dislodges it from the drain tube. The water then seeps into the back of the car.

In my case, regardless of reconnecting the drain tube, the next time the top is put down, the problem repeats itself. They, as of yesterday did not have a solution to this issue.

The second Convertible related problem relates to a horrific metal on metal noise the top started making when being lowered. I alerted the dealership to that as well and I stopped lowering the top until I could bring it in for them to look at on my last visit. Their solution was to grease up all the moving parts. They said that after multiple up's and down's and a good lubing that the noise was gone. They were right about the noise, however when I got it home, I noticed a big blob of white lithium grease on one of the tops side rails, just above the rear quarter window. I got a cloth to wipe it and it was evident that it was put there to cover a bent and jagged metal side rail. They fixed the noise all right, but at the expense of a structural piece of the top that must have been rubbing against another metal component. The continuous up and down, merely bent things to a point where no contact is now being made.

Yesterday I brought it in again, for the still leaking top and now for the bent top mechanism. I asked them to keep the car until it was actually fixed. I expect that it could be a couple of weeks before I see my baby again.

I'm trying to be patient, but for a car that was supposedly designed from the start to be a drop top, I'm not impressed.

2011 2SS, twighlight yellow, Custom designed SS graphic carbon fibre racing stripes
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 Old 11-17-2011, 07:33 AM

Sorry to hear your'e having so many problems right out the door. Hopefully these will be corrected and you can still get some driving in before the winter hits. I have to believe that all these problems are isolated issues with certain cars. I've only had some minor "rubbing" problems with my vert since taking delivery last year and have been loving it since. Hang in there.

Proud owner of Litho #198
post #3 of 31 Old 11-17-2011, 09:20 AM
Capt Bob-Supporting Membr

Garage
Bummer to hear. Hopefully they'll make it right. Make sure you ask them every day for an update/progress report so they don't just let it sit. Good luck, keep us updated.

Lionel Trains- "A lifetime of Happiness"

New to computers and forums, but a Camaro and Firebird enthusiast/owner for 30 years.

68 RS/SS 4spd A/C Convert-USA FUN, Owned since 1978.
92 Z28 25th Anniversary 350-RSKY BZ,
91 Z28 Convertible-OPENZ (gone but not forgotten)
02 Blackbird WS-6 Convertible- SR-71
<<<< Yes, click- View My FQuick Garage

post #4 of 31 Old 11-17-2011, 11:34 AM Thread Starter

Red face Creeky, Leaky Convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pony View Post
Sorry to hear your'e having so many problems right out the door. Hopefully these will be corrected and you can still get some driving in before the winter hits. I have to believe that all these problems are isolated issues with certain cars. I've only had some minor "rubbing" problems with my vert since taking delivery last year and have been loving it since. Hang in there.
Thanks for your moral support Pony, I'm certain things will sort themselves out eventually. I wish I could agree that these are isolated issues affecting only certain cars, but if you look at other forums, you will see that the number of leaky tops is becoming fairly significant considering how few of them are on the road at this point.

Still a great car, just a few wrinkles to iron out.
post #5 of 31 Old 11-17-2011, 12:46 PM
Veteran Member

Garage
This might help

#PIC5458A: Water Leak In Rear Floor Area - (Oct 12, 2011)

Subject:

Water Leak In Rear Floor Area

Models:

2011 - 2012 Chevrolet Camaro Convertible

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This PI was superseded to update information and model years. Please discard PIC5458.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The following diagnosis might be helpful if the vehicle exhibits the symptom(s) described in this PI.

Condition/Concern:

Water may leak into the vehicle and accumulate in the rear floor pan area on either the left or right side. This could be caused by a miss-positioned water management bag or folding top cover.

Recommendation/Instructions:

Note: When the water management bag has standing water in it (after a car wash, heavy rain, ice, etc.) you will hear a sloshing noise on acceleration, deceleration or braking. This noise is normal and will go away after a few stops as the water makes its way to the drains.

Everything to the inside of the quarter glass is considered a dry area; water should not be in the dry area (1). It is acceptable and by design that water may be on the outside wet area (2) the quarter glass and in the area of the quarter glass regulator that the front drain spills into.

The following inspections apply to both sides of the vehicle.

Have an assistant stand outside of the vehicle and run water over the top of the car. While in the back seat lift the headliner up at the area behind the quarter window. With water running, look past the headliner to confirm the water is draining into the water management bag. If the water doesnít drain into the water management bag verify that the plastic water diverter (1), that is sewn into the top, is on the wet side of the trim.

Correct Position

Incorrect Position

Verify the water management bag (1) is properly attached to the body sheet metal panel (2).

Inspect the front drain for proper installation. This can be difficult to confirm due to the limited space and limited visibility in this area; the following picture illustrates a drain that is not fully seated. The front drains are difficult to install and may not be fully seated in the body sheet metal panel. If the front drains were previously dislodged, it is possible in rare cases that the drain may have taken set and will not remain in place. Replace the water management bag ONLY if the drain will not stay in place. Water management bag replacement can only be performed after removing the top from the vehicle.

Important: It is normal for the quarter glass window to contact this drain when the window is rolled down. Modifications should not be made for this. The drain will not fall out of the body sheet metal unless the drain is not fully seated.

Verify the presence and proper location of foam tape on both left and right side 5 bow brackets as shown in the following illustration.

Please follow this diagnostic or repair process thoroughly and complete each step. If the condition exhibited is resolved without completing every step, the remaining steps do not need to be performed.

GM bulletins are intended for use by professional technicians, NOT a "do-it-yourselfer". They are written to inform these technicians of conditions that may

2010 Camaro 2SS/RS 6spd 426hp
December 2013 Member of the Month
post #6 of 31 Old 11-17-2011, 12:46 PM
Veteran Member

Garage
sorry the pictures didn't come through with it but you could let your dealer know that PI # and he can look at it.

post #7 of 31 Old 11-17-2011, 12:48 PM
Veteran Member

Garage
here is another one.

PI0036A: Water Leak/Intrusion into Passenger Side Foot Well Area, Check Engine Light On, DTCs P025A, P069E, P0627, P0628 or P0629 Set - (Jun 20, 2011)

Subject:

Water Leak/Intrusion into Passenger Side Foot Well Area, Check Engine Light On, DTCs P025A, P069E, P0627, P0628 or P0629 Set

Models:

2010-2012 Chevrolet Camaro

This PI is being revised to add model years. Please discard PI0036.

The following diagnosis might be helpful if the vehicle exhibits the symptom(s) described in this PI.

Condition/Concern

Some customers may comment that water is collecting in the front passenger foot well area or that the carpet is wet.

The water leak/intrusion may also affect the electrical connector (X210) located behind the right kick panel. If the connector is compromised by moisture, the vehicle may set DTCs related to system circuits within that connector.

This condition may be caused by missing sealer along one of the seams in the cowl area or the wiring harness pass-thru grommet may not be properly seated (identified above), allowing water to enter into the vehicle's interior.

Recommendation/Instructions

Use the following procedure to correct the concern.

Remove the air inlet grille upper panel on the passenger side. Refer to Air Inlet Grille Panel Replacement in SI.

Clean and dry the affected area(s).

Seal as necessary. Apply Kent High Tech Seam Sealer, P/N P10200, or the equivalent.

Reinstall the air inlet grille upper panel on the passenger side.

If DTCs are set, remove the right kick panel and inspect the X210 harness connector for moisture. Dry as required and apply dielectric grease.

If the floor carpet is wet, refer to Floor Carpet Drying in SI.

Warranty Information

For vehicles repaired under warranty, use:

Labor Operation

Description

Labor Time

C0010

Plenum Panel Resealing

Use Published Labor Operation Time

Note: Time for removal of necessary components to gain access to the leak must be submitted as Other Labor Hours and have the appropriate authorization.

post #8 of 31 Old 11-17-2011, 12:53 PM
Veteran Member

Garage
Hope those help.. just give them the PI #'s but they should have already looked them up
Bill

post #9 of 31 Old 11-17-2011, 01:01 PM Thread Starter

Leaky Creeky Convertible Top

Quote:
Originally Posted by kc0cmj View Post
Hope those help.. just give them the PI #'s but they should have already looked them up
Bill
Thanks Bill, that is extremely helpful. I'll provide them the PI #'s you quoted. Where online did you find these? I'd like to look at the pictures myself to get a better feel for what might be happening.

Steve
post #10 of 31 Old 11-17-2011, 01:22 PM
Veteran Member

Garage
I am a Service Manager at a GM dealer. I have access to it, it's not online.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page