Exhaust? - ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts
Camaro Convertible Discussion Drop your top! Discuss the Camaro Convertible here.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 Old 01-29-2012, 09:22 PM Thread Starter

Question Exhaust?

Hey everyone!

I am new here as well as a new owner of a 2011 2SS/RS Convertible with the GFX package. My question is do they make aftermarket exhaust that fit my car? It seems I have searched forever and cannot find any...they either fit the convertible and not the gfx or the gfx and not the convertible. Help please!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 01-30-2012, 06:59 AM
Veteran Member

What doesn't fit? Only thing that comes to mind that would be the tips???

2010 Camaro 2 SS/RS ZEX Wet Shot, Typhoon 63 series CAI, DR Formato Tuned
JULY 2013 M.O.M winner!

post #3 of 17 Old 01-30-2012, 07:28 AM
Bully Proof

Garage
Only certain exhaust systems fit on the convertible but I haven't heard of any exhaust system not being adaptable to a set of ground effects.

post #4 of 17 Old 01-30-2012, 07:36 AM
Veteran Member

Yeah I figured the frame would be different but like you said I can't figure out how the ground effects matter.

2010 Camaro 2 SS/RS ZEX Wet Shot, Typhoon 63 series CAI, DR Formato Tuned
JULY 2013 M.O.M winner!

post #5 of 17 Old 01-30-2012, 09:03 AM
Premium Member

Are you talking about these.....

MBRP Exhaust Tips for 2010+ Camaro with GM GFX | eBay

2011 White Convertible 1LT IOM, Full JDM Colorshift Halo upgrade, Showstopper Camaro Bowtie Led Mirrors and Engine cover, Pace Setter Cat Back Exhaust, BK Coilover Kit, 21x9.5 and 21X8.5 Full Custom Cromed 21" GM wheels, Tinted windows, I WIN BEARS Plate. Full IOM dash and door update with IOM interior panels.
post #6 of 17 Old 01-30-2012, 08:08 PM Thread Starter

The spacing and braces on the convertible are different(so im told). As for the ground effects they are only compatible with certain tips due to the size. After making quite a few calls directly to companies I found out that flowmaster doesnt make an exhaust to directly fit a convertible with gfx. Corsa makes only one system. Borla has a few systems that fit but the tips are different for example, the atak system has a GFX specific system. Hope that helps the next person that comes across the same issue.
post #7 of 17 Old 03-30-2012, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fooshake View Post
The spacing and braces on the convertible are different(so im told). As for the ground effects they are only compatible with certain tips due to the size. After making quite a few calls directly to companies I found out that flowmaster doesnt make an exhaust to directly fit a convertible with gfx. Corsa makes only one system. Borla has a few systems that fit but the tips are different for example, the atak system has a GFX specific system. Hope that helps the next person that comes across the same issue.

Lil' more info...

I dealt with "trying" to install a Flowmaster American Thunder on my vert when I first got it in Feb 11'- didn't work so well... actually, impossible, is more the proper term.

FM makes several axle-back kits now that fit verts. gfx and non, Magnaflow just released their competition series cat-back for the vert w gfx and most other companies are compatible as well... F.M. is really the only one dragging their feet still...

as for issues of GFX/non GFX, the tips are the major factor, but there's also a hanger issue... I ended up with Magnaflow Comp Cat-Back last summer and had to have a muffler shop form the hangers to fit the non-GFX system to my GM GFX, appearantly they wouldn't line up correctly.

The tips themselves are a whole other issue, many systems just cut the pipes inside the bezels using the bezels to appear as a tip themselves, while other companies like the MBPR (sp????) have the rectangular tips which sit outside the bezel, this is important, as, I learned the hard way, when you start adding more HP and less air restriction, the fumes are hotter, and you can melt the rear diffuser if not placed properly... at the time, mine were flush with the bezels, looked great, but the melting and discoloration sucked.

I ended up fabricating a quad exhaust tip system with powder coated bezels... gotta be different.

Hope that helps!

One other thing, for what it's worth...

Due to the clearence restrictionsof the additional bracing on the vert, without going to after-market bracing, your not gonna exceed a 2.5" pipe... you may want to concider an axel-back system for 1/3 of the price, and swaping the "H-pipe" for an "X-pipe" for a few hundred dollars... save you $300-400 over buying a cat-back system in which your swapping 2.5" pipe for... well... 2.5" pipe. I didn't figure that out till it was too late.

Kev
post #8 of 17 Old 04-02-2012, 12:16 PM

I have a corsa cat back system on mine. No problems fitting.
post #9 of 17 Old 04-03-2012, 07:07 AM

Solo makes an axel back and pretty sure they finished their cat-back system as well. I'm very pleased with the sound of the axel back on my vert and great people to work with. They also supply you with the tips for the ground effects. Here's a video of the axel back.

Proud owner of Litho #198
post #10 of 17 Old 04-19-2013, 11:01 AM

Nice sound on the Solo ....I think you sold me ! lol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page