Fabric thumping on a top rib - ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts
Camaro Convertible Discussion Drop your top! Discuss the Camaro Convertible here.

 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 Old 08-20-2012, 01:39 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
Chuckduck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 220
 
Fabric thumping on a top rib

Had my top replaced under warranty and noticed right away that going over a bump in the road I could hear a thumping sound directly over my head. It sounds like the top fabric is hitting a top rib. It's been a month and it seems to be getting worse and can now hear it just shutting the door. Never heard this on the first top, anyone else have this issue?
Chuckduck is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 10 Old 08-20-2012, 08:09 PM
Member
 
Pony's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Nebraska
Posts: 351
 
My top hasn't been fixed since 6-29-12 and still waiting. Let you know if mine "thumps" once I actully get to drive it.

__________________
2011 2ss/RS Black over RJT Convertible-Bre-Z
Facebook @ www.Facebook.com/CamaroCX3Cover
[IMG][/IMG]
Proud owner of Litho #198
Pony is offline  
post #3 of 10 Old 08-21-2012, 11:52 AM Thread Starter
Member
 
Chuckduck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 220
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pony View Post
My top hasn't been fixed since 6-29-12 and still waiting. Let you know if mine "thumps" once I actully get to drive it.
Thanks , what reason are they giving you for the delay? My dealer outsourced the top replacement.
Chuckduck is offline  
 
post #4 of 10 Old 08-22-2012, 09:22 AM
Member
 
Pony's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Nebraska
Posts: 351
 
They replaced the 5th bow and the top, but on first drive the top came loose from the rear quarter glass and was "flopping" in the wind. If the top is cycled, up or down, it comes out and actually hangs up in the mechanism. The delay is getting the dealership to get it in to fix it after they talked to GM about how to fix it. Looks like this coming Friday they are going to work on it.

__________________
2011 2ss/RS Black over RJT Convertible-Bre-Z
Facebook @ www.Facebook.com/CamaroCX3Cover
[IMG][/IMG]
Proud owner of Litho #198
Pony is offline  
post #5 of 10 Old 08-22-2012, 03:40 PM
Member
 
ctinatx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Seattle, Wa
Posts: 209
 
I had my top replaced and have not heard any thumping like you mention.

When I got my car back after top replacement the section behind the quarter glass started coming out. I took it back in and they fixed it. I have new rub marks on the new top but everything else is OK for now. I need to take mine in for the updates.

Pony, I hope they finally get your top fixed. I know you put a lot of time and money into making it yours.

2011 2SS/RS Convertible IBM/gray interior/black top/silver rally/L99/polished wheels - ordered 11/18/2010 - Built 02/09/2011- Delivered 4/2/2011
Vented Fenders | Z T/A spoiler | T3 ports | Eagle T3 DRL | T4 Splitter | Havoc diffuser | GM GFX side skirts | 3D carbon rear side skirts
ctinatx is offline  
post #6 of 10 Old 08-23-2012, 08:31 AM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Elkhart Lake, WI
Posts: 10
 
just take it back and get it done again or get your money back. no sense taking your camaro to people who can't do the job
briando is offline  
post #7 of 10 Old 09-21-2012, 10:50 AM Thread Starter
Member
 
Chuckduck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 220
 
Took it back for them to replace a trim piece and buff out the scratches that happened when the new top was put on. Also asked them to check out the thumping/slapping noise from the top hitting the rib. They said they couldn't hear it anymore on mine than a brand new vert. Will likely just drop the issue, weather is so nice now I don't want to loose use of it and I'm concerned any fix they do will have unintended side effects. Not really a big deal all the verts I have owned had their issues kinda like dating a supermodel, she's going to do some stuff that drives you crazy but the pluses way out number the minuses.
Chuckduck is offline  
post #8 of 10 Old 09-21-2012, 07:03 PM
sdk
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 4,974
 
Garage
Oh, the joys of a ragtop.
Hubby had a ragtop 'Vette back when we were dating. It was hot in the summer, cold in the winter and only leaked when it rained. Other than that, it was a fabulous ride!!


2017 Camaro SS
South Carolina
sdk is offline  
post #9 of 10 Old 10-23-2012, 10:09 AM
Member
 
Pony's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Nebraska
Posts: 351
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckduck View Post
Took it back for them to replace a trim piece and buff out the scratches that happened when the new top was put on. Also asked them to check out the thumping/slapping noise from the top hitting the rib. They said they couldn't hear it anymore on mine than a brand new vert. Will likely just drop the issue, weather is so nice now I don't want to loose use of it and I'm concerned any fix they do will have unintended side effects. Not really a big deal all the verts I have owned had their issues kinda like dating a supermodel, she's going to do some stuff that drives you crazy but the pluses way out number the minuses.
I know this is dated, but finally heard the noise you are talking about. Pretty sure it's the new cords getting bounced around, especially when the top is up and a window is down. Nothing you can probably due about it. Mine is going into hibernation for the winter today. Onstar cancelled, insurance collision stopped and getting ready for a good cleaning so she's ready for next spriing.

__________________
2011 2ss/RS Black over RJT Convertible-Bre-Z
Facebook @ www.Facebook.com/CamaroCX3Cover
[IMG][/IMG]
Proud owner of Litho #198
Pony is offline  
post #10 of 10 Old 10-25-2012, 03:37 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
Chuckduck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 220
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pony View Post
I know this is dated, but finally heard the noise you are talking about. Pretty sure it's the new cords getting bounced around, especially when the top is up and a window is down. Nothing you can probably due about it. Mine is going into hibernation for the winter today. Onstar cancelled, insurance collision stopped and getting ready for a good cleaning so she's ready for next spriing.
Thanks for the reply, not sure if the sound going away or I'm just tuning it out. I have been able to drive top down to and fro work so that also may be why.
Chuckduck is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome