Tonneau Cover - ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts
Camaro Convertible Discussion Drop your top! Discuss the Camaro Convertible here.

2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 23 Old 05-19-2014, 11:02 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Tonneau Cover

I have the 2012 2LT Convertible with a cloth top. If I'm driving around town with the top down I usually don't put the Tonneau Cover on. Because of anything above 45 or more I see air that blows the cloth up some what and if I'm doing 55 + the Tonneau Cover goes on which I know is held down by two bungee cords. And yes I tuck in the front and rear on the cover.
Anything above 65mph the wind gets under it & it is NO longer tucked in. It starts to come up like in a V. Last weekend I stopped & found some Velcro strips & it worked for awhile.
Surely I'm not the only person having this problem? I thought about perhaps a couple snaps. WHAT WOULD YOU DO OR ????
Thanks Michael in South Boston, Va.

:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 Old 05-20-2014, 03:34 AM
Support MC & Troops

I've asked the same thing.. not publicly Take your cover down to a fab.. shop & have them sow Velcro at the front.. or maybe have them do a bungee cord in the center...
Pony.. did a strip across, the entire peace I think, witch I'm sure he hasn't had any problems sense..
I bought a strip to do mine, tho each day I go back & forth down the freeway, to & from work, mine does pretty good, tho.. I don't feel like loosing mine & have to get a new one ether

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20140520_032522.jpg
Views:	254
Size:	80.3 KB
ID:	37721  

Getting way pumped up ..LOL(Never giving up !)

The all new Convertible (Born 1/11/11) !, Welcome to the Fleet !
SHADOW 2013 GBA 2SS/RS A6 Vert (2/13/14)
"FROST 2011 SIM LT1 A6 " FIRST VERT MOTM AUGUST 2013
*PROTESTING GM*
"GIVE ME MY13'IBM ZL1 vert GM!"
post #3 of 23 Old 05-20-2014, 05:59 AM

I just had a shop sew a 2x4 strip of Velcro in the center of the smaller flap that tucks down behind the seat. Attached the other half to the appropriate area of the seat and round the edges.

After having the cover come loose at interstate speeds and haven't had any problems since after this fix. It's a little harder to get the cover back off, but by sliding your fingers between the Velcro to separate it first, it's not too bad and worth the piece of mind.

Proud owner of Litho #198

post #4 of 23 Old 05-20-2014, 07:05 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Tonneau Cover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pony View Post
I just had a shop sew a 2x4 strip of Velcro in the center of the smaller flap that tucks down behind the seat. Attached the other half to the appropriate area of the seat and round the edges.

After having the cover come loose at interstate speeds and haven't had any problems since after this fix. It's a little harder to get the cover back off, but by sliding your fingers between the Velcro to separate it first, it's not too bad and worth the piece of mind.
Could you send me a couple pictures so I can get a better understanding of this. Either on this post or on my flip up phone. I'm still old school since the big 70 is coming up next. Thanks Michael (434) 579-2221

:
post #5 of 23 Old 05-20-2014, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangomr View Post
Could you send me a couple pictures so I can get a better understanding of this. Either on this post or on my flip up phone. I'm still old school since the big 70 is coming up next. Thanks Michael (434) 579-2221
I'll post up pics/video tonight for all.

post #6 of 23 Old 05-20-2014, 03:06 PM
Veteran Member

Garage
Simple salution just dont drive above 45 J/K

2014 2LT/RS with spring edition package. Proud Litho Owner #28.
post #7 of 23 Old 05-20-2014, 03:42 PM

Tonneau cover coming loose and my fix

As requested, I'll post the video of "why" I had to fix the tonneau cover raising up issue and a couple simple pics of how to easily fix it. First the Video;

First you will need to attach one half of a velcro strip to the tonneau cover. I highly recommend having this sewn on. You will want to do this on the smaller flap of the tonneau cove; close to the seam as shown below.

Next place the tonneau cover in place on your convertible and mark with tape where the second half of the velcro will need to be placed.c

Next throughly clean the area where the velcro will be placed with alcohol or other cleaner. If using 2" velcro, you'll need to cut it down to 1 3/4" as this is the size of the plastic molding where you will mount the velcro. It is also advisable to "round" the corners of the velcro piece to help keep it from coming loose.

After the velcro has set for awhile (overnight if possible), you can place the tonneau cover back on as normal. You can use your fingers to separate the velcro to either push it down further OR to remove the cover.

This "fix" has kept the cover in place for me, and have had NO lift like occurred in the video above. Hope this helps and gets me some extra brownie points from the vert owners.
PDXSSCE likes this.

post #8 of 23 Old 05-20-2014, 07:46 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Hi Pony, Thank you so much for the video & the pictures. That should solve the problem for those higher speeds when we are on a interstate. I looked on both sites and did not see any post on this subject. So very glad I posted my problem. Now to find a shop that can do it.

:
post #9 of 23 Old 05-21-2014, 05:01 AM
Support MC & Troops

ThX, Pony.. for sharing this.. your the Man !!

One question, why did you go with the soft part of the Velcro on the cover, to keep from getting dirty when your not using it or does it matter ?

I wonder tho.. why not just do another bungee in the center, it might be harder to hook but if you did it first then the others, it would look factory done ??

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

Getting way pumped up ..LOL(Never giving up !)

The all new Convertible (Born 1/11/11) !, Welcome to the Fleet !
SHADOW 2013 GBA 2SS/RS A6 Vert (2/13/14)
"FROST 2011 SIM LT1 A6 " FIRST VERT MOTM AUGUST 2013
*PROTESTING GM*
"GIVE ME MY13'IBM ZL1 vert GM!"
post #10 of 23 Old 05-21-2014, 06:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotrodhoodrat View Post
ThX, Pony.. for sharing this.. your the Man !!

One question, why did you go with the soft part of the Velcro on the cover, to keep from getting dirty when your not using it or does it matter ?

I wonder tho.. why not just do another bungee in the center, it might be harder to hook but if you did it first then the others, it would look factory done ??
It probably doesn't matter what side you put the hook or the loop; personal preference. And it you were going to use a bungee; how would you hook it to the cover? Where would you hook it to?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page