Convertible Muffler Replacement - ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts
Camaro Convertible Discussion Drop your top! Discuss the Camaro Convertible here.

4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 Old 01-25-2016, 10:16 AM Thread Starter

Convertible Muffler Replacement

I've been reading about catback & axleback systems that are specifically designed for convertibles. Aren't stock L99 mufflers the same, whether it's a coupe or convertible?

When only replacing the mufflers, is there something specific to convertibles that must be considered?

I'm interested in Flowmaster Super 40 or 44 Delta Flow mufflers.

For those of you who replaced only the mufflers, which did you install?

Last edited by PDXSSCE; 01-25-2016 at 10:18 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 01-26-2016, 10:44 AM Thread Starter

The Result

This follow-up comes after posting in this thread about replacing the mufflers. I the hope someone with the same question(s) that I had will find it useful.

After visiting a couple of reputable muffler shops, I learned that DEQ will only make an issue of mufflers not being installed, if the car sounds too loud during the biennial visits.

My concern with a muffler delete, is that I may not like sound of the AFM & I don't want to find out after the fact.

I also learned from the shops, that it isn't possible to simply swap the stock mufflers with aftermarket ones. There would be some modifications involved, which of course drive up the cost, to about $350 for Flowmaster Super 44 Delta Flows installed. This was confirmed by the good folks at Apex.

Another option is the Solo Axle Back with J-Pipes, which is about $650 installed.

Camaro Performance Exhaust System | Convertible Std & Auto Axle Back with J-Pipes 2011 - Present Camaro V8 Convertible | Performance Exhaust System

It's a nice system, but spending that much to improve sound, isn't a high priority right now.

The learning experience has given me great options to consider & I'll probably go with one of them at some point in the near future.
post #3 of 12 Old 01-27-2016, 06:44 AM
Premium Member

Sorry. Can't be of much help here. I have SW shorties, High Flow Cats and ATAK cat back. It does sound GOOD though.:

post #4 of 12 Old 01-27-2016, 09:19 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbvinla View Post
Sorry. Can't be of much help here. I have SW shorties, High Flow Cats and ATAK cat back. It does sound GOOD though.:
I decided to invest in the Diablosport Intune I2 instead. Thank you.
post #5 of 12 Old 10-04-2018, 06:59 PM

I installed flowmaster American thunder mufflers on my 2017 convertible. sounded great
with your foot in it and idle. cruising under 50mph the drone sound was baaaad! called rep at flowmaster and he said all 40 series mufflers are chambered and will drone. he had no answers for the cure. running stock again.
PDXSSCE likes this.
post #6 of 12 Old 10-09-2018, 10:40 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevyjim View Post
I installed flowmaster American thunder mufflers on my 2017 convertible. sounded great
with your foot in it and idle. cruising under 50mph the drone sound was baaaad! called rep at flowmaster and he said all 40 series mufflers are chambered and will drone. he had no answers for the cure. running stock again.
Does it have a tune to disable the AFM?
post #7 of 12 Old 10-10-2018, 08:27 AM
Premium Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDXSSCE View Post
Does it have a tune to disable the AFM?
I have the "RANGE" AFM killer module that I just plug into the diagnostics plug under the dash, it keeps the AFM off and is hot swappable.
PDXSSCE likes this.

2010 2SS/RS A6 L99 Born 09/16/2009 Vin#9146985
ModernCamaro Car of the Month Jan 2013
CAI,Axle back exhaust, V Max Throttle Body
post #8 of 12 Old 10-12-2018, 09:52 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWD621 View Post
I have the "RANGE" AFM killer module that I just plug into the diagnostics plug under the dash, it keeps the AFM off and is hot swappable.
The Diablosport inTune i3 is installed on my car, which includes a 91 Performance Tune & AFM disabling. I'm simply wondering if Jim experienced that much droning with AFM enabled or disabled.
post #9 of 12 Old 12-27-2018, 09:18 PM

I have a 2015 L99 2SS/RS Convertible and did not like the factory sound from the pathetic, ugly suitcase stock mufflers. I told my wife that I did not like the Camaro sounding like a stock 4 cylinder Volvo. The stock mufflers buzzed when tooling around town under 1000 rpm. They had to be the first thing to go. I also have the "Range" AFM killer and it makes a huge difference in killing the little drone that remained after installing and adjusting the caps on the J Pipes of the Solo Performance Cat-Back system that has no mufflers. Really looks good from the rear with no mufflers!
The sound is a good rumble at idle and a little louder under acceleration. I really like the system. Makes the car sound as powerful as it is. Always using high octane fuel and Pulling fuse 5 and 20 under the hood for an hour or so and them reinstalling them to reset the computer from the use of ever using even one tank of regular fuel, also improves idle and performance significantly.
post #10 of 12 Old 12-28-2018, 09:56 PM
Premium Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillR70 View Post
I have a 2015 L99 2SS/RS Convertible and did not like the factory sound from the pathetic, ugly suitcase stock mufflers. I told my wife that I did not like the Camaro sounding like a stock 4 cylinder Volvo. The stock mufflers buzzed when tooling around town under 1000 rpm. They had to be the first thing to go. I also have the "Range" AFM killer and it makes a huge difference in killing the little drone that remained after installing and adjusting the caps on the J Pipes of the Solo Performance Cat-Back system that has no mufflers. Really looks good from the rear with no mufflers!
The sound is a good rumble at idle and a little louder under acceleration. I really like the system. Makes the car sound as powerful as it is. Always using high octane fuel and Pulling fuse 5 and 20 under the hood for an hour or so and them reinstalling them to reset the computer from the use of ever using even one tank of regular fuel, also improves idle and performance significantly.
Sounds just like what I do, yes I love my range afm killer too. Fuse pull only takes about 10 minutes to work, and I do it about once a month to "reset" everything. I got rid of my stock mufflers about two years ago and love the way it sounds and looks also.
PDXSSCE likes this.

2010 2SS/RS A6 L99 Born 09/16/2009 Vin#9146985
ModernCamaro Car of the Month Jan 2013
CAI,Axle back exhaust, V Max Throttle Body
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page