Next Z-28 - ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts
Camaro ZL1 and Z/28 Discussion Discussions regarding the 2012-up Camaro ZL1 and the 2014-up Camaro Z/28.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 Old 05-13-2012, 03:23 PM Thread Starter

Next Z-28

Just wondering could the next Z-28 be a Turbo or Super charged V6? And why not?
The Six has a better balance

With better Brakes and Supension It could track really good, Just look at what ford has done with there sixxes.

All Sylvania led Turn Signals, Ceramic Window Tint By Nicks, MBRP Exhaust Tips, Gen5 DIY Virginia Legal DRL Harness, Painted Brake Calipers, Vittesse Throttle Controller, Heritage Grill, Diode Dynamics Led Lighting, Manual Shifter Boot, Paddle Shifters, CNC Throttle Body, Vararam Intake/Green Filter, RX Catch Can, Rear trunk black out, Side Gills, Chevorlet door Sills.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 05-13-2012, 04:51 PM
Premium Member

Garage
It's going to run on a fusion reactor delivering electricity to 2 500HP motors, one front and one rear mounted. It will have LCD windows and targa top, with a head-up display, and memory foam seats. The entire car will be constructed of ultra-light weight composites and is estimated to weigh in the neighborhood of 2600lbs, including a 200lb driver and a fuel pellet with enough energy to run for 30 days at max output.

James 1:25 Ordered from Faulkner Chevy #NKCF02 1100 5/8/9 2000, 3300 7/16/9 TPW 7/20,GOT MY (low) VIN! 4000 7/24/9 ,Picked up 8/7/9!!! Signed Litho #45. Car signed by FBodfather 2011. Service: Jennings Chevy in PA. We don't "drift", kiddies... we POWER SLIDE! MOTM/COTM Sept 2012 Pro Patria Vigilans.
Click the pic.. I don't tolerate fools.
post #3 of 12 Old 05-13-2012, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by patriotpa View Post
It's going to run on a fusion reactor delivering electricity to 2 500HP motors, one front and one rear mounted. It will have LCD windows and targa top, with a head-up display, and memory foam seats. The entire car will be constructed of ultra-light weight composites and is estimated to weigh in the neighborhood of 2600lbs, including a 200lb driver and a fuel pellet with enough energy to run for 30 days at max output.
..............but will it have flux capacitor????????

post #4 of 12 Old 05-13-2012, 07:28 PM Thread Starter

I think you need to get a life patriotpa,
Just making fun of someone is not cool. With the Gas problems I truely believe that the next Z-28 could be a V6. The orginal Z-28 did not have Chevy's biggest engines in them, they were only 302 CU IN High Reving big power. The V6 is a high reving big power engine and with a turbo could really be a contender in the race.

All Sylvania led Turn Signals, Ceramic Window Tint By Nicks, MBRP Exhaust Tips, Gen5 DIY Virginia Legal DRL Harness, Painted Brake Calipers, Vittesse Throttle Controller, Heritage Grill, Diode Dynamics Led Lighting, Manual Shifter Boot, Paddle Shifters, CNC Throttle Body, Vararam Intake/Green Filter, RX Catch Can, Rear trunk black out, Side Gills, Chevorlet door Sills.
post #5 of 12 Old 05-13-2012, 10:06 PM

Yes you can make alot of HP with a large displacement v-6 and turbo's. Turbo's add alot of underhood heat. Don't know if I'm a huge fan of a V-6. Why not a small displacement v-8? Ford has the track version of the NA 302 so why not a sim. modified car with a 305?

2012 ZL1 sn 1691 Black 6mt

Last edited by firecross91; 05-13-2012 at 10:09 PM.
post #6 of 12 Old 05-14-2012, 12:03 AM

GM only went with a 302 because they were limited to 5.0L and the small bore 307 was not up to par, not that they thought a smaller motor was better.

I don't see a turbo V6 on a high end offering. It's cheaper to offer a standard V8 that shares most of it's build with every truck engine they have, Ford uses the ecoboost 6ixers in lower scale offerings not their upscale trucks stangs etc. It does not equal their 5.0. I don't see GM doing anything different rather than improve what they have which has been working great so far.

Unless they manufacture a whole new V8 engine a 305 CI engine that is just as large, heavy, and as expensive as a 6.2 wouldn't make much sense. All LS engines reguardless of Cubic inch, are physically the same size. Why give up the cubes and low end torque when the rest of the engine is identical to the bigger ones? GM's 4.8's (the closest thing they have to a 305) aren't exactly the same league as the old school 302's and are way outclassed by their bigger brethren, and I'd wager that the 302's heads and cam and intake would have done alot more on the 350's.

Ford uses smaller CI motors due to the complexity of the DOHC designs, they don't have much choice. Their 6.2L DOHC engine is huge and heavy and wouldn't fit under the hood of a stang so that's why they are using smaller CI but physically larger, heavier, more complex motors. GM is using the KISS method saving money, weight, complexity and using larger CI but just as, if not more efficient, engines. Take the 6.2 Vs 5.0 comparo on MPG. The MPG numbers listed for the 5.0 are using lower (numerically) gears than whats in the SS (not the track pack or 3.55 geared stangs), weigh less and I'd argue are a tad more aero, with the smaller frontal area, yet only gain 1-2 MPG difference. That shows me the lower CI, DOHC with all the fancy doodads arent as efficient as a honking 6.2L that is lighter, smaller physically, cheaper to manufacture, with less crazy stuff on it. If the current Camaro is on the heavy side imagine what 3 more cams, wider block and heads, 4 times the length timing chain and all the other sensors etc for a smaller dohc V8 would do. On the turbo 6 side all the extra plumbing isn't saving that much on weight as well.

The rumored 5.5 is going down cube wise probably for the same reason to make room for all the other high tech gagetry needing to take up room in the block.

If size was a concern I'd go with a boosted six but since it's not, no thanks. Boosted means forged internals (more money), more parts to contend with, more warranty issues, more chance of bad gas screwing something up, which all add up to more cost than a simple V8 that works just as good. I applaud them. So far I see no reason to switch to a DOHC to sacrifice cubes. My 2 cents worth

2000 Red 1SC Z28 A4 - dead for now
2005 Black GTO M6 6.0 - Split daily driver
1987 Silver Fiero GT - Split daily driver
post #7 of 12 Old 05-14-2012, 08:35 AM
See You On Course

Maybe the Z-28 Moniker could just mean "turbo", so you could have a V6 version of the Z-28, and maybe even a 4 cylinder version in the future.

2010 Stock IBM 2SS/RS

I found $80 in my jeans pocket. The kid in me said "buy nerf guns and candy!" But then the adult in me said "buy vodka, nerf guns and candy!"

post #8 of 12 Old 05-14-2012, 09:09 AM

Please don't mention a 4cyl. I see no use for a 4 cyl engine in a muscle car. It cheapens the entire line.

2012 ZL1 sn 1691 Black 6mt
post #9 of 12 Old 05-14-2012, 09:18 AM
See You On Course

Quote:
Originally Posted by firecross91 View Post
Please don't mention a 4cyl. I see no use for a 4 cyl engine in a muscle car. It cheapens the entire line.
Even a turbo 4 that gets the same 300 hp as a V6, and supposedly better gas mileage? I say supposedly, because my WRX was a turbo 4, and my mpg wasn't too much better than my SS. Could be my driving style, though.

I just mentioned the 4 because that's where the trend keeps going. I'm resigned to the fact that they will always be pushing the envelope on ideas and models, but as long as they keep the V8s available, then I'll have somewhere to spend my money.

2010 Stock IBM 2SS/RS

I found $80 in my jeans pocket. The kid in me said "buy nerf guns and candy!" But then the adult in me said "buy vodka, nerf guns and candy!"

post #10 of 12 Old 05-14-2012, 10:07 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by firecross91 View Post
I have one RPO for you.... LQ8. And if there's a n/a 4 cylinder under the hood, it's very very unlikely anyone would mistake it as a "muscle car".

1982 F-bodies were available with a 2 bbl 4 cylinder. So why doesn't everyone quit all this crap about 4 cylinders not belonging in a Camaro. You may not choose one, but they've been there before.

From my era (Jurassic), the Camaro is and always will be considered a pony car, not a muscle car, even if it was 1500 horsepower. Because of that, I can never acknowledge the Camaro as a real muscle car. Even though I love Camaros. Real muscle cars died a long time ago. Of course, there are those that always want to rewrite history...

2010 2SS/RS Auto, Sunroof, Engine Cover. Transformer Edition package.
2013 ZL1 ragtop #5478. 1 of 54 CRT M6 'verts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page