2010 LT V6 power steering "whine" - ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts
Camaro ZL1 and Z/28 Discussion Discussions regarding the 2012-up Camaro ZL1 and the 2014-up Camaro Z/28.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 12-06-2012, 09:19 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Question 2010 LT V6 power steering "whine"

I'm stumped... I had just purchased a preowned 2010 Camaro LT V6 with 45,000 miles, two months ago. Last week or so, the steering started to feel like, and sounds like my power steering pump is low, or out of fluid. I look under the hood, and I see no power steering pump, reservoir, or anything. The only thing I can see, is it appears that the tubes from the steering rack, are headed directly to the transmission (automatic). Is anybody knowledgeable of this? The car didn't come with an owners manual. I'm confused. And I'm afraid I'm going to have to take it in to the Chevy dealership, and sign the dotted line to get screwed... I'd prefer to NOT have to do that, at least without some kind of a heads up. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 12-07-2012, 08:17 AM
See You On Course

Not sure about the V6 or auto, but on my 2010 SS M6 the brake fluid/steering fluid share a common reservoir. Yours is probably the same, but hopefully someone else will confirm it.

I'd definitely make sure that you check that fluid. If it's topped up, then it might be time to change the fluid out. I did mine myself, not too bad of a process. If it still doesn't help, then your steering pump may be going bad. Hopefully it would be covered under warranty.

2010 Stock IBM 2SS/RS

I found $80 in my jeans pocket. The kid in me said "buy nerf guns and candy!" But then the adult in me said "buy vodka, nerf guns and candy!"

post #3 of 9 Old 12-07-2012, 09:41 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by CUONCRS View Post
Not sure about the V6 or auto, but on my 2010 SS M6 the brake fluid/steering fluid share a common reservoir. Yours is probably the same, but hopefully someone else will confirm it.

I'd definitely make sure that you check that fluid. If it's topped up, then it might be time to change the fluid out. I did mine myself, not too bad of a process. If it still doesn't help, then your steering pump may be going bad. Hopefully it would be covered under warranty.
Thanks. I'll look into that. That actually makes a little bit of sense. Thank you very much.

post #4 of 9 Old 12-07-2012, 05:56 PM

Chuckles,

Please keep us updated on this! I do hope that it is a matter of a fluid check. However, if the issue persists I would definitely recommend a dealership visit for a diagnosis.

Ashley
GM Customer Assistance

Available 8:00 AM - 12:00 AM EST
post #5 of 9 Old 12-07-2012, 07:20 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevy Customer Service View Post
Chuckles,

Please keep us updated on this! I do hope that it is a matter of a fluid check. However, if the issue persists I would definitely recommend a dealership visit for a diagnosis.

Ashley
GM Customer Assistance
I have checked all the fluids I can locate (as I have mentioned, I have no owners manual), and those are only the brake fluid, which is at a good level, washer fluid, DEXCOOL, and my oil dipstick... I have made an appointment to visit my Chevy dealer Monday. The car is out of warranty. So, I don't know what to say. I hope it is nothing expensive, I'm wiped out now with the down payment, first payment and licence plates... It's a good thing I love this car! Not really, I treat all my cars like they're my babies. Thanks guys.
post #6 of 9 Old 12-07-2012, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckles View Post
I have checked all the fluids I can locate (as I have mentioned, I have no owners manual), and those are only the brake fluid, which is at a good level, washer fluid, DEXCOOL, and my oil dipstick... I have made an appointment to visit my Chevy dealer Monday. The car is out of warranty. So, I don't know what to say. I hope it is nothing expensive, I'm wiped out now with the down payment, first payment and licence plates... It's a good thing I love this car! Not really, I treat all my cars like they're my babies. Thanks guys.
Chuckles,

I will watch out for an update after your visit to the dealership. If you'd like me to contact the dealership to follow this for you just let me know!

Ashley
GM Customer Assistance

post #7 of 9 Old 12-08-2012, 11:25 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevy Customer Service View Post
Chuckles,

I will watch out for an update after your visit to the dealership. If you'd like me to contact the dealership to follow this for you just let me know!

Ashley
GM Customer Assistance
Hi. Thanks for the concern. If it costs too much, it'll have to wait until I can save the funds again. I'm unsure what it'll actually accomplish to have you contact my dealer, but it might be handy, in case they try to take me for a ride, to get an opinion as to if what they say is wrong sounds legit or not. What info would you need, from me, to get in contact with the dealership service department? I didn't buy the car from this dealer, I purchased it preowned from another manufacturer dealer in town... Thanks again.
post #8 of 9 Old 12-10-2012, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckles View Post
Hi. Thanks for the concern. If it costs too much, it'll have to wait until I can save the funds again. I'm unsure what it'll actually accomplish to have you contact my dealer, but it might be handy, in case they try to take me for a ride, to get an opinion as to if what they say is wrong sounds legit or not. What info would you need, from me, to get in contact with the dealership service department? I didn't buy the car from this dealer, I purchased it preowned from another manufacturer dealer in town... Thanks again.
Chuckles,

If you'd like to private message me with your name, number, VIN, mileage, and dealership name I can set up a case for you and also see what warranties are still applicable for your vehicle.

Thanks
Ashley
GM Customer Assistance

post #9 of 9 Old 05-14-2013, 07:01 AM

I have the same year and model. You will need to remove the oil resivoir cap and then remove the cover on top of the engine. It's not hard at all and when you get it off, you'll see the resivoir in the bottom right corner of where the cover just was. The pump is directly underneath of the resivoir as well. I've been having issues with mine at the moment. I first though my pump failed but I checked the levels when the engine was cold, CHECK IT COLD!, and had nothing on the dip stick. Since refilling, I removed the air intake and jacked the car up. I cleaned and inspected everything I could see and located a leak on a brass plug on the back of the pump and on a compression fitting. My car both sounds and is driving better at this point, but I've checked the resivoir the past few days and I keep having to add more fluid. I don't see a leak anywhere anymore so I was coming on here to ask if anyone knows if the lines could have air in them which is where my fluid keeps going to. Thoughts anyone??? I'm an engineer and working on things like this isn't an issue for me, I just have never worked on an issue like this and I'm getting a little frustrated here.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page