How much do they need to pay? - ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts
Camaro ZL1 and Z/28 Discussion Discussions regarding the 2012-up Camaro ZL1 and the 2014-up Camaro Z/28.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 Old 03-20-2013, 07:45 AM Thread Starter

How much do they need to pay?

So I decided, since I bought a ZL1, that I would drive it. I hate seeing people buy cars then not driving them. None the less, I took a driving adventure from Florida to Nebraska 10 days ago, or 2 weekends ago. For everyone's information, the ZL1 is awesome as a road trip car!!!! I averaged just under 19 mpg for the duration of the trip!!!!!

So the first of three parts of the adventure start when I crossed the state line into Tennessee on I-75. Literally within the first 1/2 of mile, while riding in the far left lane of the three lane highway, a semi truck in the far right lane threw up either a very large rock or some other debris. It was so big it caught my attention as it was flung into the air. None the less, I had the cruise control on and before I could disengage it or hit the breaks....... It slammed against the windshield. ****. I kept moving on.

The second part is after arriving in Nebraska. My partner in crime and I drove straight through the night, almost 1600 miles in 23 hours to get there. After meeting with family, I decided I wanted to get the car cleaned up after her journey. So I looked on yelp for a hand car wash in the area, honestly since it was like 34 outside. I found one received multiple 5 star ratings, so I said, what the, lets go get her cleaned up. I arrived at "Cornhusker Auto Wash", paid their fee, moved around the extra stuff in the car from the road trip, then released her to be cleaned.
After they finished vacuuming the car and cleaning the windows, they pulled her around inside to go through their washing station. I watched as they pulled the car up, pressure washed the nose and rims, then released her to move through. As the car started to move, I watched as the car jumped in and out of the tracks!!!!!! I stood there in amazement as the worker stopped, looked, talked to someone else, then stalled the car trying move it. They finally got it out and pulled it outside with soap still on the car, and parked it.
I waited for about a minute, that's all I could stand, and stormed out wondering what happened. As I walked up to the car, I saw it...... They ripped the lip off of the driver rear rim. About 6-7" worth..... Sigh.
After talking to the manager and fault being placed on their employee and the car wash, he wanted to fix the rim..... I asked him to look at my license plate, realize I'm not from Nebraska and that i wouldn't be around for more than 2 days. Then I had him look at my odometer and see only 2400 miles (including the 1500 from the trip). I informed him it was brand new and he needed to replace it. After a long discussion, he gave me some claim paperwork and asked that when I get to where I was going, send them 2 quotes on repair. I said fine and was on my way. I quickly called my dealership, Rosner Chevrolet, and explained what happened. They sales and parts staff was nothing short of spectacular. I sent them the claim and they squared away all the details.

The third part is all about the **** mid west. I am a natural Floridian, and I drive my car 365 days a year (when the army lets me stay in the states). So I always wondered why so many of my fellow Camaro owners were always itching to drive there cars in the spring. I thought, it's only snow!! None the less, Mother Nature decided that it was a good idea to blow in the latest blizzard into Omaha..... Just to confirm, ZL1 and snow are a very bad thing......
Well that's the craziness of my trip..... Since I got back, the rim has been replaced, oh and my tint, since it pulled up being stuck to the seal.... Good times and great journeys.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	94.1 KB
ID:	16369  

2013 IOM ZL1 #002415 Born 09/13/12 - Oracle DRL LEDs, Fog LEDs, Defenderworxs Black vent inserts
2010 SIM 2SS/RS #005549 Born 05/02/09 - Oracle DRL LEDs, Oracle SMD Afterburner LEDs, K&N Typhoon CAI, Flowmaster Thunder series axle back, Heritage Grill, Superchips Tune, Defenderworxs Black vent inserts
1983 S10 - 383 stroker (10 second monster)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 03-20-2013, 03:27 PM
Veteran Member

Most Camaro owners wash their cars by hand and avoid those types of car washes. I am surprised they didn't stop you from going through with those big rear tires on the ZL1. Usually they have a big sign before you go through to make them not liable for damage. You were lucky this time.

Cars with summer tires don't do well in snow also. You are lucky you didn't wreck your car. Drive safe and take care of your baby.

Silver Ice Metallic 2013 Camaro 2LT
Born 7/29/2012 Delivered 4/24/2013
CyCam1
post #3 of 11 Old 03-20-2013, 11:10 PM Thread Starter

Sadly I know that, but washing the car in freezing, or almost freezing temperatures is not an enjoyable idea, especially when driving from Florida. None the less, I looked and they didn't have anything up, nor did they notice. And for the snow, it's all good. I drove for the last 3 years in the snow in Korea, so I'm used to it, just wasn't planning on it when I took the trip. Thanks for the comment.

2013 IOM ZL1 #002415 Born 09/13/12 - Oracle DRL LEDs, Fog LEDs, Defenderworxs Black vent inserts
2010 SIM 2SS/RS #005549 Born 05/02/09 - Oracle DRL LEDs, Oracle SMD Afterburner LEDs, K&N Typhoon CAI, Flowmaster Thunder series axle back, Heritage Grill, Superchips Tune, Defenderworxs Black vent inserts

post #4 of 11 Old 03-21-2013, 11:05 AM
Premium Member

Garage
Great story...and glad you made it back ok. Thanks for your service too!

2010 2SS/RS A6 L99 Born 09/16/2009 Vin#9146985
ModernCamaro Car of the Month Jan 2013
CAI,Axle back exhaust, V Max Throttle Body
post #5 of 11 Old 03-22-2013, 05:16 AM
Veteran Member

Garage
Where are you located in FL..Nice write up.

2013 LT2/RS, Crystal Red Metallic, TAZ Jr.
2016 H-D Ultra Classic, Black Fire Purple, (PPE)
2015 H-D Street Glide, Superior Blue. (Old Blue) Traded
2012 Big Horn, RAM, Crew Cab, SLT, Dark Cherry Red Pearl (Betty Boop)
1998 Honda Accord 2d, daily driver.
post #6 of 11 Old 03-22-2013, 03:36 PM

Shoulda stopped in and said hello. I live in Omaha. I could have hooked you up.
post #7 of 11 Old 03-22-2013, 03:46 PM

Garage
I completely know the feeling. When I got home from my deployment, I bought my camaro and took it on a road trip to Texas from Georgia. On the way back in rained pretty much the whole trip back and I found the F1 Supercar tires are awful in the rain. I could only imagine the snow.

2013 SS/RS/1LE
1964 Plymouth Barracuda Candy Apple
1962 Ford Thunderbird Baby Blue
post #8 of 11 Old 03-25-2013, 06:24 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the messages and support. I was in Sebastian, now in Augusta.

post #9 of 11 Old 03-26-2013, 11:40 AM

Two different kind of car guys, one kind wants to keep her perfect more than they want to drive her and the kind that wants to drive her more than he wants to keep her perfect.
post #10 of 11 Old 03-26-2013, 12:23 PM Thread Starter

And I am a driver, not looker!!!!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page