zl1 pulls timing on dyno - ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts
Camaro ZL1 and Z/28 Discussion Discussions regarding the 2012-up Camaro ZL1 and the 2014-up Camaro Z/28.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old 08-20-2014, 07:50 PM Thread Starter

zl1 pulls timing on dyno

Hey guys. I recently did pretty much a lingenfelter stage 2 package (with a 10% lower pulley as opposed to a 5%), included headers, and exhaust and it was time to tune and dyno the car.

I did not upgrade spark plugs and i am hoping this is where the issue arises since its an easy fix (I am upgrading to the tr6 plugs on monday)

However, the zl1 was on the dyno putting up decent numbers up to 3000 rpm then at 3200 rpm the timing throws and you see the power die for a split second and then at 3500, the power jumps back up (you can actually feel the jump when you drive the car. It bucks between 32-3500 rpm).

Now like i said, I am upgrading the spark plugs to tr6 on monday. Will that be where my issue is stemming from, or has anyone seen this issue before?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 08-21-2014, 06:33 PM Thread Starter

anybody?
post #3 of 8 Old 08-22-2014, 04:47 PM
Premium Member

Garage
Talk with your tuner. If they're any good they'll have some tips for you.
Guessing gets expensive really fast.

James 1:25 Ordered from Faulkner Chevy #NKCF02 1100 5/8/9 2000, 3300 7/16/9 TPW 7/20,GOT MY (low) VIN! 4000 7/24/9 ,Picked up 8/7/9!!! Signed Litho #45. Car signed by FBodfather 2011. Service: Jennings Chevy in PA. We don't "drift", kiddies... we POWER SLIDE! MOTM/COTM Sept 2012 Pro Patria Vigilans.
Click the pic.. I don't tolerate fools.

post #4 of 8 Old 08-24-2014, 11:18 AM

2 things are occurring. One, the oil ingestion causing detonation...knock sensors pick this up before the human ear can detect it and the PCM will pull timing to same the engine. If you have a catchcan installed it is probably one of the popular ones that only catch 15-30% of the oil so your still getting a good deal of ingestion. Only a few are worth installing to eliminate this. SMC, Elite E2, Apex, and RX.

Then you are also seeing high IAT2 temps. Anything above 115*F we usually see 1-2 degrees pulled to protect the engine...at 150, 4-5, 200 8-10 or more. That's a ton of HP.

You dont want to go too cold, anything under say 45*F and the atomized fuel spray will begin to condense to droplets again, and that slows combustion as well as results in a incomplete burn and irregular burn pattern.

This is 40-45 RWHP on a chassis dyno w/out a tune by engaging for 2-3 minutes before doing a "after" run:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AaQRwNmt7lY

A couple sources for these systems.

Or a good meth injection system like form Julio at Alky Control (he has forgotten more than I know about meth injection). He designs what I consider the best systems on the market, and his knowledge is beyond question. (he runs 100% methanol).

A little nitrous cools it down nicely as well....dont need a big shot, 50-100 will do a great job.

What you DONT want is a tuner that reduces KR sensitivity or limits the amount of pull....or puts the timing back to soon. Got lots of pistons here from "tuner Gods" that brag they get more power than others...at the expense of the engine.

Your in Miami, contact Phil at Tampa Tuning. or Dan Maslik is near you. And there are a few others I trust around you.

post #5 of 8 Old 08-27-2014, 05:58 AM Thread Starter

Thanks SC...Dan is actually who is tuning my car. Him and I are stumped on the issue. We are actually thinking about converting my car to e85 when we figure out this issue since it'll make the car run colder and it adds HP as well. I'll forward this info to Dan and see what he says. Thanks again
post #6 of 8 Old 08-27-2014, 07:46 AM

Yes, run it by him and show him this and also this article helps:

Camaro ZL1 RX Performance Super Chiller A/C Assisted Air-to-Water Intercooler Install - GM High-Tech Performance Magazine

I'll email him as well.
post #7 of 8 Old 08-27-2014, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elgringotercero View Post
Hey guys. I recently did pretty much a lingenfelter stage 2 package (with a 10% lower pulley as opposed to a 5%), included headers, and exhaust and it was time to tune and dyno the car.

I did not upgrade spark plugs and i am hoping this is where the issue arises since its an easy fix (I am upgrading to the tr6 plugs on monday)

However, the zl1 was on the dyno putting up decent numbers up to 3000 rpm then at 3200 rpm the timing throws and you see the power die for a split second and then at 3500, the power jumps back up (you can actually feel the jump when you drive the car. It bucks between 32-3500 rpm).

Now like i said, I am upgrading the spark plugs to tr6 on monday. Will that be where my issue is stemming from, or has anyone seen this issue before?
Install a Chiller, I have had the original on my Maggie GTO making 10 lbs. since 09, never seen triple digit IATs on the street here in FL. These are shipping to some of the hottest areas in the world Dubai, South Africa, AU most ship to TX.
Install a Chiller and forget about it, PM Turbo99 if you want the real world results. I designed the original Camaro kit on his car in 11 and this documents the update done last year.

I Just shipped the Xtreme to a ZL1 in Canada yesterday that has the Heartbeat blower overdriven so hard his IATs are 190deg at the end of 1/4mile before the Chiller. Intercooler water is typically around 55deg but it’s not unusual to see below freezing.

Last edited by TrekGTO; 08-27-2014 at 05:07 PM.
post #8 of 8 Old 04-02-2016, 09:44 PM

Im far from an expert...... Possibly low coolant level in your intercooler ??? Good luck with it
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page