For sale - 1968 Camaro SS 396 L-78 All Original - ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts
Classifieds: For Sale / Wanted For Sale and Wanted Ads. Private Parties ONLY. No unpaid advertising allowed.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 05-15-2015, 07:44 AM Thread Starter

For sale - 1968 Camaro SS 396 L-78 All Original

Category : Camaro > 1967 - 1969 Camaros
Ad Title: 1968 Camaro SS 396 L-78 All Original
Price: $23,000
Year: 1968
Model: Super Sport
Roof: HardTop
Mileage: 29,000
Trans: 4 speed
Engine: L-78
VIN: 124378n
ExtColor: Blue
IntColor: Green
Features: Tachometer, AM/FM
Description: Introduction –

I am selling this amazing camaro for my brother-in-law which is not very computer literate and has been busy running his family business. He has had the car since 1985 and still doesn’t have the time to restore this car so it must go. He has a good paper trail on this car. You can email me with any questions about it and I will get back to you ASAP. I reserve the right to end the auction early due to the fact it is listed locally as well. You can email me with any questions about it and I will get back to you ASAP. I am not a used car dealer, no bulls*#$ or sugarcoating. I will answer to the best of my knowledge. Also check out all the pictures and you can also arrange a time to come and see it for yourself. I do not expect anyone to be disappointed with this car. (FYI – the car is currently stored in Danbury, CT.)

Brief Car History –

The original (1st) owner used 1st it only to drag race at Dover.

The second (2nd) owner only had it for about a year.

The current (3rd) owner, my brother-in-law purchased car in 1985 with 21000 miles.

The engine was professionally rebuilt and I have all the receipts.

It has been in storage the past 22 years –

It has been always registered and passes inspection every year.

There is NO BODY FILLER OR BONDO – Bring your magnets!

NOTHING WAS CUT– the BODY is 100% ORIGINAL – And there is NO RUST !!!

I welcome all serious buyers to come and see it for themselves – This is the REAL DEAL!! This is a real diamond in the rough and a very rare find.

What it is –

• Original miles is 29000 [have DMV paper trail]
• L-78 Package
• Original 396 Motor (Stock 375 HP )
• Engine block cast # 3999290
• Stamp # CE264346
• Intake # 3894374 Off of a 1967 Corvette 3-2 barrel carbs. I have receipts.
• “drag pack” 6 Pack Holley 3*2 Manicall barrels (All 3 barrels have metering blocks)
• Muncie M-21 (4-speed transmission.)
• 12 bolt 456 gear rear
• High Performance rectangular /square port intake heads
• Offenhouser Aluminum. intake
• 100 % Original Green Interior
• All original suspension parts [leaf springs, coil springs, control arms} and disc brake parts [ booster, 2 proportions valves, lines}
• Also has the big block heater core

Almost everything is 100% Original but I listed some additional factory options the car came with below to be clear on what the car has:

• Original AM/FM radio
• Original rally wheels, trim ring and center caps (14*6 wheels)
• Original Green interior
• Original Chrome gauges
• Original stock intake
• Original No Power steering
• Nothing was Cut (All original) & No Body Filler
• Underneath the car is solid

The above is just some of the popular things I thought I would get questions about please ask me if I forgot to list it or something is unclear.

What has been done to it –

New 2005 Bentley Blue stunning paint on all original GM sheet metal camaro was stripped to bear metal and painted [ we have pictures] and receipts. The paint has 5 tones “chameleon” – purple, blue, red, green, yellow.) Depending on how you look at the car and the lighting you see the different shades of colors.

The bad –

Since the interior is 100% original so it needs a little TLC – for example the driver seat stitching is pulling out and driver door panel is slightly ripped.

The camaro will need 4 new tires because they were on it when he purchased it in 1985.

I do not have the stock air cleaner

Here is a link to pics of it - https://www.flickr.com/photos/870498...7645096401336/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 05-16-2015, 07:31 AM
Veteran Member

Sounds like a great job of tracking on this car ... wish I could but I can't

2012 2SS / RS CRT; Additional Options: Highwing Spoiler, Sunroof, Window Tint, Splash Guards, Wheels, Nitro, Heritage Grill, MRT Louvers, Ported Throttle Body, Cold Air Inductions CAI, RX Sport Hood, someone's splitter, River City Strut Bar
Born On: 13 April 2012; Purchased: 27 August 2012
post #3 of 9 Old 05-18-2015, 03:48 PM

Well worth it except valve covers,etc. But pretty rare and excellent candidate for restoration!!

post #4 of 9 Old 05-18-2015, 08:14 PM

Nice car, good luck with the sale. Wish I wasn't short on mad money or it would be in my garage.

post #5 of 9 Old 05-19-2015, 05:43 AM

Garage
Great first gen. Good luck with the sale. I'm gussing you already know that the "CE" block would mean it's not the original engine in the car. Or is the original engine also included?

My ProStreet 69 and 2012 RS/SS
post #6 of 9 Old 05-28-2015, 06:54 PM Thread Starter

Hey - i posted it for my uncle but I believe it is the original engine - i dont remember the exact reason why its stamped with CE but i'll ask him again.
post #7 of 9 Old 05-29-2015, 04:10 AM

Garage
looks nice but have to pass. thanks for the info and emails
post #8 of 9 Old 05-29-2015, 06:45 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by camaroman123 View Post
Hey - i posted it for my uncle but I believe it is the original engine - i dont remember the exact reason why its stamped with CE but i'll ask him again.
If it's a "CE" block it can not be the original engine. It could be a warranty replacement engine, but for sure is not the original engine. CE blocks were not installed in cars from the factory, they are replacement engines only. As stated, could be a warranty replacement, over the counter crate engine, etc. Still a great car either way.

Some more info in CE blocks here... http://chevellestuff.net/qd/engine_stamp_numbers.htm

My ProStreet 69 and 2012 RS/SS

Last edited by PROZ11; 05-29-2015 at 09:12 AM.
post #9 of 9 Old 05-29-2015, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PROZ11 View Post
If it's a "CE" block it can not be the original engine. It could be a warranty replacement engine, but for sure is not the original engine. CE blocks were not installed in cars from the factory, they are replacement engines only. As stated, could be a warranty replacement, over the counter crate engine, etc. Still a great car either way.

Some more info in CE blocks here... Engine Stamping Numbers

Correct.

I also agree great car and probably worth the $.

You can also remove valve covers and the casting #'s that show the manufacture date, etc. are visible.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page