Tunning Question ??? - ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts
Diagnostics & Tuning Diagnostics | Programming | Tuning

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 Old 01-28-2009, 01:55 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

Tuning Question ???

A friend of mine asked a question yesterday I was curious and figured I would come on here and see what yall said. Maybe even one of you dealers can answer this one.

When you buy a car you of course have a warranty........If someone wants to get his/her car tuned does that void the factory powertrain warranty?
Someone old him if he put a Tune on his car and then needed to take it in they would void the Warranty.....He made a comment about changing it back and they said flashing the computer back would be seen by the technician and that would void it as well........ does that mean anything from a Tune or a programmer can not be used/done to a new car ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 01-28-2009, 02:28 PM
Veteran Member

A bad tune could easily damage a motor if things like Knock Sensors are disabled and excessive detonation occurs without timing being pulled. Improper Air/Fuel ratios can also cause damage if run in a lean condition (not enough fuel). I would suggest to anybody running a custom tune on a stock car to return the car to 'stock tune' before bringing it in for service. A decent dealer tech can tell there were changes made if he knows where to look. Be wise in your tuning choice and always err on the side of caution when modifying engine operation parameters.

Most plug-n-play tuners are programmed to run tunes within the vehicle's parameters so don't be afraid to get a tune.

post #3 of 16 Old 01-28-2009, 03:50 PM
Veteran Member

They will void the warranty - if the problem is caused by the tune. Some vehicles, like Volvo's, actually record when the computer has been programmed and what had changed. I will assume that new GM vehicles have this feature as well.

www.fquick.com/demonspeed
Present: '02 SS #7146
Past: '89 IROC-Z|'91 Z28|'00 SS #0795|'01 Z28

post #4 of 16 Old 01-28-2009, 08:49 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

" new GM vehicles have this feature as well "

Thats what my friend and I were wondering ourselves lol
post #5 of 16 Old 02-04-2009, 11:26 AM
ModernCamaro.com Sponsor

Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act
Read it and you should be fine.

They have to prove the tune caused your issue. The LS3 is solid and you would really have to screw up to hurt it. Most tunning is best left to the pros. I have a lot of good friends and I still wouldn't let them tune my car. I Let Erik at BSP tune it and only Erik. He knows his stuff. Trained, experienced and insured. The only way to go. JMO.

2004 Cosmos GTO M6 (1 of 366)
Stock 296.7 RWHP 324.6 RWT NA 424 RWHP 379 RWT NOS 530 RWHP 510 RWT
Best NA E/T - 11.8152 @ 117.11 w/ 1.6949 60ft
Best NOS E/T - 11.30 @ 129.5 w/ 1.74 60ft
www.buckeyegoats.com
post #6 of 16 Old 02-04-2009, 12:19 PM
Resident GTO nutswinger

I don't believe that a dealership can see if the tune has been changed or not. I've gone many times in for work and they never said a word to me about my "recently flashed back to stock" PCM. And even if they could tell that someone else has flashed the computer, they would have no way of knowing what that flash was all about. It could have very well been another dealer doing their job and flashing the computer.

So without knowing who flashed it and to what, they cannot prove that it was the tune that screwed up whatever is wrong with your car.

2006 Pontiac GTO | Intake | Predator Tuned | Spintech Exhaust

post #7 of 16 Old 02-04-2009, 02:27 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LS2GTO View Post
I don't believe that a dealership can see if the tune has been changed or not. I've gone many times in for work and they never said a word to me about my "recently flashed back to stock" PCM. And even if they could tell that someone else has flashed the computer, they would have no way of knowing what that flash was all about. It could have very well been another dealer doing their job and flashing the computer.

So without knowing who flashed it and to what, they cannot prove that it was the tune that screwed up whatever is wrong with your car.
You're probably right about the GM cars, but it is true with some of the foreign makes that it will record what changes were made and when. It's only a matter of time before it trickles to the US makes.

www.fquick.com/demonspeed
Present: '02 SS #7146
Past: '89 IROC-Z|'91 Z28|'00 SS #0795|'01 Z28
post #8 of 16 Old 03-03-2009, 07:59 AM

Your probably not going to want to pay the expense to have it tuned unless you have done a modification. That being said the you will need to find a modification friendly dealership. If you can you'll be fine. But based on the last few years of posts from people with modified GTOs and warranty issues, I'd say many service managers first reaction is to say that the warranty is void if the issue is engine related and fine if it isn't. It's really up to the dealership and GM and if they want to keep the customer in the long run. They do have the right to void it because a changed tune is not a part related issue and not covered by the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act.

Ohio's fastest 04-06 NA GTO ..... Pedderized & tuned by Back Street Performance
454.48 rwhp 403.08 rwtq
11.686 @ 121.31

[
post #9 of 16 Old 03-03-2009, 08:17 AM

As I understand it (I'm no lawyer), they can't void your warranty unless they can prove that the changes you made caused the problem. The problem with this is, what do you do when you take the car in and they say "No, we're not fixing this?" Do you pay the repair costs, or do you pay a lawyer to sue them to cover the repair costs. You're screwed either way.
I wouldn't hold my breath if you think GM is gonna play Johnny-Good-Guy and just give you a new motor when they don't have to, not in this economy any way.
If you ask your dealer's service department up front "is this covered" and they say "no," I wouldn't expect to have too much ground to stand on when things go South.
post #10 of 16 Old 03-03-2009, 09:27 AM

FWIW, it IS possible to tell whether the configuration loaded in the ECM is "stock" and it is also possible to tell if the stock configuration has been "put back" (this part is not so certain, however, because what really shows is how many times the ECM has been written to, not what the previous writes might have contained. If, however, they have no record of reflashing your ECM but the ECM says it has been rewritten 7 times, something is fishy...)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page