Best Mail Order Tune for the Money? - ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts
Diagnostics & Tuning Diagnostics | Programming | Tuning

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old 01-07-2010, 01:19 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

Best Mail Order Tune for the Money?

Well i am tired of my current DiabloSport Programmer... it was fun while it lasted. they are a great programmer for people with stock cars or just have an intake and/or exhaust.

my only problem with it is after i got my headers! i got check engine lights and i had to get a custom tune from diablosport to disable those. now i know the programmer is not fully calibrated for the new headers and i don't feel like i am getting the full potential from them!

my solution is to get a mail order tune, preferably one that sends me software and the wires to flash the computer myself so i can revert to stock easier; however, if i have to i will mail my ECM to the company for them to tune it for me.

has anyone tried any of these tunes without actually having the car dyno-tuned???

so far some of the companies i found that do this are:

Vector Motorsports - sends their proprietary software and plugs to download their custom tune calibrated for every other modification to the car = $350 free recalibration of tunes for life. add $250 if you wanna keep the plugs.

Intense Racing - sends HPTuners suite and their custom tune = $600

Fastlane - sends EFILive and their custom tune = $400

and i'm sure most other speed shops will allow you to mail your ecm into them for tuning.

i am in no rush to do this since it is the winter and the car is in storage, but i would like to get this done before i take her out again!!! so please any help would be greatly appreciated... for those of you interested i will post the sale of my diablosport trinity once i have decided what other tune i will be going with!!!

April 2010 Member/Car of the Month

Gone but not Forgotten!

Last edited by RedJewel2SS; 03-10-2010 at 07:50 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 01-08-2010, 03:27 PM

So...let me get this straight...

You want to try a different mail order tune?
You do realize that someone tuning your car from 100s of miles away is going to be the same whether they use CMR, EFI live, or HPtuners?
Only thin thats going to change for you is that you have to drag a laptop to the car everytime you want to flash or log it, heck, even to read or clear a code.

The fact that you are considering sending your PCM out for a tune that you wont ever be able to modify is beyond me when you have tuning capabilities in your hand already with the Predator.

If you are serious about getting the car to perform, get with one of our local CMR dealers and have them dial it in on the dyno.

Rarely if ever will a mail order tune be as good as a tune done in person, no matter what software was used.

Thanks
Mike
post #3 of 7 Old 01-08-2010, 03:41 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiabloMike View Post
So...let me get this straight...

You want to try a different mail order tune?
You do realize that someone tuning your car from 100s of miles away is going to be the same whether they use CMR, EFI live, or HPtuners?
Only thin thats going to change for you is that you have to drag a laptop to the car everytime you want to flash or log it, heck, even to read or clear a code.

The fact that you are considering sending your PCM out for a tune that you wont ever be able to modify is beyond me when you have tuning capabilities in your hand already with the Predator.

If you are serious about getting the car to perform, get with one of our local CMR dealers and have them dial it in on the dyno.

Rarely if ever will a mail order tune be as good as a tune done in person, no matter what software was used.

Thanks
Mike
i see your point... i'm still working with 06MonteSS with a DiabLew Tune, but the car is in storage for winter... i was thinking yesterday of switching to something else cuz i was bored at work, but i don't think i am going to anymore. no one else compares to what i have.

i like my trinity, but i don't use all the functions on it regularly. however i have yet to find another custom tune that compares to the functionality of the DiabloSport without getting on the dyno. there are no CMR dealers near me in Tulsa, unless you know of one here i don't

the only dyno tuners here specialize in rice rockets and i won't trust them with my car!

All in all i'm still happy with my Trinity. my thought now is i probably would have been better off just getting the Predator, because i dont drive the car everyday and i don't use all the functions that come with it like i should, but the trinity is more user friendly so i will stick with it.

Gone but not Forgotten!

post #4 of 7 Old 01-12-2010, 10:17 AM

Dyno tune is the best way to get the most power from your setup. I would spend the extra and put it on a chassis dyno.
post #5 of 7 Old 01-14-2010, 11:41 AM

for the mods u have (me also), stick with the trinity. it may take a little longer to get it dialed in but this way not only can u flash it back stock but the trinity will adapt to GM changing it's operating systems.

while i'd luv to get mine chassis dyno'd and have that tune dropped into a handheld, i'm not sure you can do it?

i'm prolly going Trinity and Ted from Jannetty will help me dial it in until i can afford the Maggie!

IOM 2SSRS 6MN - VIN 7553 - Ordered 10/13/08 and Delivered 5/22/09 - SOLD 8/2010
post #6 of 7 Old 01-14-2010, 04:05 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010SSRS View Post
for the mods u have (me also), stick with the trinity. it may take a little longer to get it dialed in but this way not only can u flash it back stock but the trinity will adapt to GM changing it's operating systems.

while i'd luv to get mine chassis dyno'd and have that tune dropped into a handheld, i'm not sure you can do it?

i'm prolly going Trinity and Ted from Jannetty will help me dial it in until i can afford the Maggie!
if you have a local CMR dealer with a dynometer, then you can have it chassis dynoed with the trinity, but their are probably few of those around!

Gone but not Forgotten!
post #7 of 7 Old 01-23-2010, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedJewel2SS View Post
Well i am tired of my current DiabloSport Programmer... it was fun while it lasted. they are a great programmer for people with stock cars or just have an intake and/or exhaust.

my only problem with it is after i got my headers! i got check engine lights and i had to get a custom tune from diablosport to disable those. now i know the programmer is not fully calibrated for the new headers and i don't feel like i am getting the full potential from them!

my solution is to get a mail order tune, preferably one that sends me software and the wires to flash the computer myself so i can revert to stock easier; however, if i have to i will mail my ECM to the company for them to tune it for me.

has anyone tried any of these tunes without actually having the car dyno-tuned???

so far some of the companies i found that do this are:

Vector Motorsports - sends their proprietary software and plugs to download their custom tune calibrated for every other modification to the car = $350 free recalibration of tunes for life

Intense Racing - sends HPTuners suite and their custom tune = $600

Fastlane - sends EFILive and their custom tune = $400

and i'm sure most other speed shops will allow you to mail your ecm into them for tuning.

i am in no rush to do this since it is the winter and the car is in storage, but i would like to get this done before i take her out again!!! so please any help would be greatly appreciated... for those of you interested i will post the sale of my diablosport trinity once i have decided what other tune i will be going with!!!
You can add the SCT Flash Programmer to that list. Around $379, holds 3 custom tunes plus your original stock file. Will datalog on device and with a laptop.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page