Modern Camaro Forums banner

Performance Mods

3K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  MValdez17 
#1 ·
I asked this in another thread, but I wanted to make sure a lot of "in the know" people saw the question.

Everyone keeps talking about adding CAI, Exhaust, etc. but all of these mods are for nothing unless you get a tune to compliment them correct? Doesn't the ECU relearn after awhile? You first put say a CAI on and sure you will get a difference at the beginning, but eventually the computer adjust things so that you keep putting out the original stock numbers? I haven't dealt with performance mods because till this car I never really had a reason to, just trying to be informed and not in the dark.

#2 ·
That is mostly true. You will get the MOST out of a CAI or headers or whatever if it is tuned for them. The ECM does relearn to a degree and compensate for mods and altitude and air temp etc.

But once it has learned/adjusted to the new flow rate/AFM etc, it does NOT adjust itself to stock settings again. While it tries to maintain a stoich AFR it will not run that if it is gonna detonate or cause other issues.

#3 ·
^^^ I agree. You'll still feel some gains, just more is available w/ a tune. A tune will also improve throttle response. AND if you have an A6, will GREATLY improve the way the trans shifts.

#8 · (Edited)
money pit quick hell yes ! I could spend 10-15gs in a second if I had the loot that is, supercharger sway bars lowering springs new torq thrust Ms wider tires new spoiler,

a tune is a definite benefit but I have the CAI (cold air inductions) no tune on my car and its been a really nice gain, a tune makes it better but there still a gain

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.