dyno tune vs handheld tune - ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts
Diagnostics & Tuning Diagnostics | Programming | Tuning

View Poll Results: Dyno tune VS Hand Held
Dyno 15 62.50%
Hand Held 9 37.50%
Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 Old 03-27-2010, 11:47 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

dyno tune vs handheld tune

I've never had any vehicles tuned. I have a dyno tuner lined up for when the mods come. I want to know what some of you prefer. Im planning on buying the diablosport trinity t-1000 programmer as it seems like it would be the easiest to use and read, what do you guys think. Are they worth it? considering you can get a dyno tune cheaper then the unit itself? What is good and bad about both? What do you guys prefer? Are handhelds easy to use? Have u used this one liked or disliked? I do want to know the numbers as well. Any other tuners you like to use? So all in all hands down if you had to choose, full dyno tune or hand held tune

thanks guys

IBM 2SS/RS, M6, Blk Leather...
CAI, ARH Headers, Flowmasters, Diablosport tuned, Barton short-throw
Ordered 3/19 Delivered 8/12 VIN# 21970
94' Z28 sold 12/14/09

Last edited by odoylerulez55; 03-27-2010 at 11:50 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 03-27-2010, 11:55 PM
Supporting Super Moderator

In my experience handhelds are not very good. They are cookie cutter tunes and the most useful things are fan controls, shift points and speed limiter.
Other than than using it for those things, its probley not going to do much good and then when you do other mods to your car it then won't fit your car.

If you take it to a good tuner you can make much more power on the dyno and get torque management deleted or reduced, which is probley one of the biggest gains. Also when you do a mod most tuners will retune for much cheaper than the first tune.

1998 Camaro A4 7.06 @ 96.5 MPH NA 1.47 best 60ft
2010 Camaro Tube Chassis work in progress
post #3 of 11 Old 03-28-2010, 01:39 AM
Veteran Member

it really all depends on your situation.

if you are far away from any reputable dyno tuner, then a handheld is all you can get.

of course you get the best results with a dyno tune, but it all depends on what you already have in the car. things like superchargers, turbos, nitrous, heads/cams really need a dyno tune because they are tedious to tune. if your car is totally stock, or you just have simple bolt-ons, a programmer is just as good, because you can fine tune (not just fan speeds & limiters, but injector slope, power enrichment, disable DOD for the L99) the tune yourself with a diablosport programmer

if you have simple bolt ons like intake headers exhaust, then you would do fine with a programmer.

if money is an issue, you can get a diablosport predator for $325 vs. $600 for the trinity and $400-500 for a dyno tune, which has the same exact tune as the trinity, only difference is the touch screen, drag tree & monitoring functions.

the good thing about the diablo tunes, you can dial in the fueling yourself or contact a reputable CMR tuner (like 06MonteSS) and get a custom tune.

i'm not trying to be pro handhelds, but that is what i have because there are no reputable dyno tuners in my area except for imports.

if you choose to get it dyno tuned, see if they charge for flashing the computer back to stock for warranty work, or if they will do free updates, because chances are down the road your going to add something or need to get something adjusted and will have to go back to the dyno tuner to get that stuff done. i have flashed about 10 different tunes into my computer tweaking it for every drop of HP and also stuff like changing rev limits later on, because 6200 just wasn't cutting it.

April 2010 Member/Car of the Month

Gone but not Forgotten!

post #4 of 11 Old 03-28-2010, 06:04 AM

I agree with RJ on this one. If you only have bolt ons, a handheld is probably more cost effective than a dyno tune. No doubt the best results will come from a dyno tune however with the data logging features of the Predator and Trinity, someone like 06MonteSS can build a custom tune for you. I personally purchased a Predator as I only have bolt ons. Once I get back home I intend on using it to squeeze out some more horses.
post #5 of 11 Old 03-28-2010, 07:10 AM
Veteran Member

dyno, hands down...especially if you are close to someone who knows what they are doing. I can recommend someone not too far from you as well.

Whoever you use, make sure they don't just tune on a dyno, but also check it on the street (more "real" conditions). Also, make sure they are willing to update your tune if you do any new mods in the future and will also keep your stock tune and flash it back if ever needed. There are some guys who offer both for FREE.

2010-2SS/RS/LS3/IBM/RP6: ECS-Paxton Supercharger / American Racing Headers & Exhaust / PFADT Suspension / DSS 9" 4.10 Rear / FOR SALE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taglane View Post
Powerfreak is the only one who actually understood anything.
post #6 of 11 Old 03-28-2010, 08:44 AM
Supporting Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by odoylerulez55 View Post
So all in all hands down if you had to choose, full dyno tune or hand held tune
You will get the most power out of a dyno tune. I don't see how anyone would choose a handheld over a dyno if they had a tuner close. The only reason I could see choosing the handheld is if you just wanted to mess with the settings and didn't care so much about power.

I could not see spending that much on a handheld. I have in the past, but that was before dyno tuning became popular. Now days I just wouldn't waste the money. HPTuners can be had for about the same price and then you can tweak stuff yourself even if you get a dyno tune. Just because you buy hpt you don't have to use it to tune the engine. You can also change the settings and you can change tons more settings than the handheld.
Also I have used mine with my home pc if you don't have a laptop. Its not that hard just to hook your pc to it to change your settings. HPT is $500-650 depending on which you choose.

1998 Camaro A4 7.06 @ 96.5 MPH NA 1.47 best 60ft
2010 Camaro Tube Chassis work in progress
post #7 of 11 Old 03-28-2010, 11:32 AM
Veteran Member

also... it will take awhile longer to do it yourself when fine tuning with the handheld.

but the end result for me gave me just the same tune as if i were to get it on a dyno...

my timing is set for 93 octane, and my AFR at WOT is 12.63, spot on in the 12.5-12.8 range recommended for N/A cars.

but when the S/C comes even my custom tuner recommended me to put it on the dyno to tune, because those are a lot more tedious to get working perfectly.

Gone but not Forgotten!
post #8 of 11 Old 03-29-2010, 09:22 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

thanks guys... not sure which direction im goin yet. Once i get a set of headers ill be ready for the tune, and ill come up with a decision. Even tho I dont really plan on goin to the strip and racing I just want what everyone wants... the biggest bang for the buck!

IBM 2SS/RS, M6, Blk Leather...
CAI, ARH Headers, Flowmasters, Diablosport tuned, Barton short-throw
Ordered 3/19 Delivered 8/12 VIN# 21970
94' Z28 sold 12/14/09
post #9 of 11 Old 03-30-2010, 12:37 PM
Veteran Member

for the price of the handheld tuner, you can get it professionally dyno tuned. just find a good shop.

Brixton Forged
CM10 Wheels IN STOCK!!! RF7 SOON!!!!
Camaro/M3/M4 wheels in stock High Gloss Titanium
post #10 of 11 Old 03-30-2010, 12:40 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010_5thgen View Post
for the price of the handheld tuner, you can get it professionally dyno tuned. just find a good shop.
you must have some cheap dyno tuners around you... when i was shopping around the lowest i found was $400 and highest was $550

Gone but not Forgotten!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page