How can I run 2 computers in a 2010 camaro one stock & one with a tune ???? - ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts
Diagnostics & Tuning Diagnostics | Programming | Tuning

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 Old 05-02-2010, 10:50 AM Thread Starter

How can I run 2 computers in a 2010 camaro one stock & one with a tune ????

Hello,

I hope I chose the correct category to place my post.

Without all the technical terms and abbreviations that I don''t know, is it possible to copy a 2010 camaro L99 V8 A6 computer and run either computer at any given time.

Another words have two computers and swap them back and forth? One with the stock tune, and one with another tune, to play with, or other tweaks??

If so will the car or the computer tell on you ? Will it throw codes? Will it say hey I've gone 1000 miles since the the last time I was plugged in something must be wrong ??

If possible what's the process? And how much does a new 2010 camaro computer go for right now?

What is the computer part number or spec number ? (is there more than one part to it?)

What software do I need to do it ??

Any links to the parts or software??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 05-02-2010, 12:29 PM

Alot of people are spreading mis-information about this subject. Get it straight from people who know.....
http://forum.efilive.com/index.php
I am researching this myself at the moment. The ecu will be fine its the BCM I'm worried about. I will share any info, you do the same.
Then we will have a definitave thread with the answers for everybody!

Randy

2010 Rally Yellow 2SS M6 with Black rally stripes
post #3 of 18 Old 05-02-2010, 12:41 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow 2SS View Post
Alot of people are spreading mis-information about this subject. Get it straight from people who know.....
http://forum.efilive.com/index.php
I am researching this myself at the moment. The ecu will be fine its the BCM I'm worried about. I will share any info, you do the same.
Then we will have a definitave thread with the answers for everybody!

Randy
THANK YOU!

everyone should keep in mind, that even if you can re-flash your stock tune in (or swap computers etc) for purposes of warranty work, if you have any mods like headers, cam, gears etc...your gonna get a CEL (and might not run very well), so that's gonna make it pretty obvious to the dealer.

2010-2SS/RS/LS3/IBM/RP6: ECS-Paxton Supercharger / American Racing Headers & Exhaust / PFADT Suspension / DSS 9" 4.10 Rear / FOR SALE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taglane View Post
Powerfreak is the only one who actually understood anything.

post #4 of 18 Old 05-02-2010, 12:41 PM Thread Starter

I'm concerned about the flash counter.

What I'm looking for is to duplicated my stock computer and put the duplicate in the car and if there is a problem I want to be able to put the original computer back.

So once the second computer is programed I want them to be interchangeable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by POWERFREAK View Post
THANK YOU!

everyone should keep in mind, that even if you can re-flash your stock tune in (or swap computers etc) for purposes of warranty work, if you have any mods like headers, cam, gears etc...your gonna get a CEL (and might not run very well), so that's gonna make it pretty obvious to the dealer.
I just want to play with stuff. My car is 100% stock. I like to tinker and learn stuff. I'd like to turn off the AFM and play with the cooling fans, shift points, tune it, ect.. But leave it stock.

Last edited by 2010 Bumblebee; 05-02-2010 at 12:46 PM.
post #5 of 18 Old 05-02-2010, 03:27 PM

Quote:
THANK YOU!

You are exactly right. That is the reason I only have plans for exhaust(stock manifolds and cats), cold air intake of my own design, and maybe a blower in the future.
Like bumble said he wants to mess with stuff in stock form. A bunch of people might be thinking the same. Just removing the torque management and optimizing the fuel and spark should be a considerable improvement.

GM came out with revised boost sensors and a new program for the ecu to up the power of a Cobalt SS to 295HP. And it's factory approved and won't void the warranty if the dealer reflashes the computer!
Maybe they will do something in the future for us once they see how the reliability goes?

2010 Rally Yellow 2SS M6 with Black rally stripes
post #6 of 18 Old 05-03-2010, 10:03 AM

So I take it from this thread they have a flash counter in the ECM like the newer duramax trucks? If so I'll probably have to get a second ECM so the warranty isnt in jeopardy.

2010 Camaro Inferno Orange RS/SS M6.
2007 GMC Sierra Black LBZ Duramax.
post #7 of 18 Old 05-03-2010, 10:42 AM
Supporter of common sense

Quote:
THANK YOU!

You can have the dealer remove the CEL if it comes up as the result of a retune or a replaced PCM. If you have items like headers or other obvious mods, you may run into warranty problems anyway.

Do what I do, keep your OEM PCM and have the 'tune' on a second PCM - problem solved?

Joe :: Over Anxious 67 Camaro RS/SS L78
5thgenblog.com // Michigan Classics
Chevrolet Camaro in Transformers // My ebaY auctions

Hot Rod Search Google searches for gearheads!
post #8 of 18 Old 05-03-2010, 10:43 AM
Veteran Member

the camaro ecm does not have a flash counter.

i took my car to the dealership and had them test this. they were aware i had a diablosport programmer and i have flashed many tunes into the car getting everything tweaked. i restored my original stock backup and had them scan the computer, as i watched and i asked them, "do you see anything out of the ordinary that would look like the car was tuned?"

the tech said, "no, looks like the stock tune is on the ECM, the only thing that is unusual is the fuel trims are all reset and cat efficiency tests were not performed, but that is typical from flashing the stock tune in and not turning the car on. the same thing would have happend if the dealership were to update the ECM, then performed the same test or a fuse pull was conducted which wouldn't void the warranty.

if i would have returned the car to stock, then driven to the dealership, it would have appeared to be just a normal stock tune on the ECM with fuel trims adjusted as the computer would automatically do.

so no flash counter on the camaro.

April 2010 Member/Car of the Month

Gone but not Forgotten!
post #9 of 18 Old 05-03-2010, 11:14 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedJewel2SS View Post
the camaro ecm does not have a flash counter.

i took my car to the dealership and had them test this. they were aware i had a diablosport programmer and i have flashed many tunes into the car getting everything tweaked. i restored my original stock backup and had them scan the computer, as i watched and i asked them, "do you see anything out of the ordinary that would look like the car was tuned?"

the tech said, "no, looks like the stock tune is on the ECM, the only thing that is unusual is the fuel trims are all reset and cat efficiency tests were not performed, but that is typical from flashing the stock tune in and not turning the car on. the same thing would have happend if the dealership were to update the ECM, then performed the same test or a fuse pull was conducted which wouldn't void the warranty.

if i would have returned the car to stock, then driven to the dealership, it would have appeared to be just a normal stock tune on the ECM with fuel trims adjusted as the computer would automatically do.

so no flash counter on the camaro.

THANK YOU!!! Finally someone who has some proof.

2010-2SS/RS/LS3/IBM/RP6: ECS-Paxton Supercharger / American Racing Headers & Exhaust / PFADT Suspension / DSS 9" 4.10 Rear / FOR SALE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taglane View Post
Powerfreak is the only one who actually understood anything.
post #10 of 18 Old 05-03-2010, 11:27 AM

Hooray. My diesel is the last year before the flash counter, I was praying this car didnt have one. It just becomes a huge pain to tune it when you need to swap ECMs ect.

2010 Camaro Inferno Orange RS/SS M6.
2007 GMC Sierra Black LBZ Duramax.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page