Code Trouble P0513 - ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts
Diagnostics & Tuning Diagnostics | Programming | Tuning

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 06-20-2011, 10:17 PM Thread Starter
Bully Proof

Garage
Question Code Trouble P0513

A couple days ago Envy threw another CEL so I took her across the street and scanned her and it came up P0513 Incorrect Transponder. My mechanic friend said that meant that the car was not recognizing the chip in the key. He asked if the car had been sitting in the direct sun (answer was yes) and he said that excessive heat can sometimes cause this to happen so we just cleared the code. Two start cycles later the same CEL is triggered so I was wondering if anyone had any experience with this or could tell me how all of a sudden my car doesn't recognize it's key?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 06-20-2011, 11:45 PM
Veteran Member

Garage
Thats strange

2014 2LT/RS with spring edition package. Proud Litho Owner #28.
post #3 of 9 Old 06-21-2011, 05:01 AM

I haven't gotten this code (yet) and it gets over 100 here in SA. I have a sun screen in my front window since the car sits in direct sunlight at work as well. Thanks for the heads up.

2011 2SS CGM/IO Convertible - MySSt

post #4 of 9 Old 06-21-2011, 07:09 PM
ModernCamaro.com Sponsor

PO513-I show it as incorrect immmobiler key . The tune I just looked at shows that you can throw the code, but it shouldnt light up your CEL.

Its been 94* in Tampa, and I havent seen that code before.

Have you tried a differant key?

Check out your car on our facebook page.
https://www.facebook.com/tampa.tuning

Tampa Tuning: [email protected]
post #5 of 9 Old 06-21-2011, 09:35 PM Thread Starter
Bully Proof

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tampa Tuning View Post
PO513-I show it as incorrect immmobiler key . The tune I just looked at shows that you can throw the code, but it shouldnt light up your CEL.

Its been 94* in Tampa, and I havent seen that code before.

Have you tried a differant key?
The other key is at the paint shop so no...not yet.

I am getting another code that would light up a CEL...P0420. She's thrown the 0420 3 times now...but I just thought she partied too much...lol.

The dealership just rest it again and I'm taking Envy to someone else tomorrow because the service manager at the dealership admitted they don't have a clue as to what is going on with the exhaust upgrades that the sales department had installed for me.
post #6 of 9 Old 06-22-2011, 06:49 PM
ModernCamaro.com Sponsor

PO 420 means your car is stoned, and its showing Catalyst system low efficiency. Did you change cats?

PO430 is bank 2 so though not labeled im guessing 420 is bank one. maybe the sensor is going bad if you didnt change cats, or both sensors would not be happy

Check out your car on our facebook page.
https://www.facebook.com/tampa.tuning

Tampa Tuning: [email protected]
post #7 of 9 Old 04-13-2012, 04:47 PM

Envy, its been a while..how are you?
did you get all your problems fixed??..youve done so much to Envy im surprised it didnt throw code earlier.....Well, dont feel bad....everybody said it would be alright if i got shortys & some exhaust...so i did and now the headers are causing my CEL to come on...i might buy a code reader and just clear the code my self everytime it comes on, but I need inspection REAL SOON...and it wont pass if the code doesn't stay off long enough....and i dont want to void warranty with a tune...any suggestions?
post #8 of 9 Old 04-13-2012, 06:32 PM Thread Starter
Bully Proof

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MC3Designs View Post
Envy, its been a while..how are you?
did you get all your problems fixed??..youve done so much to Envy im surprised it didnt throw code earlier.....Well, dont feel bad....everybody said it would be alright if i got shortys & some exhaust...so i did and now the headers are causing my CEL to come on...i might buy a code reader and just clear the code my self everytime it comes on, but I need inspection REAL SOON...and it wont pass if the code doesn't stay off long enough....and i dont want to void warranty with a tune...any suggestions?
Hey there MC3...it's good to see ya...I was just thinking about you and our last discussion the other day...

Yes I did get it fixed...it was a malfunctioning O2 sensor that eventually failed completely. This has been a common problem in unmodified Camaros so I'm not really sure whether our mods caused the issue...but the mods made it easy for the dealership to say FU initially...lol. I just replaced the O2 sensor myself and called it a day.

I can definitely help you with the inspection though. The mechanic across the street will let me use his code reader anytime I want and therefore I can clear the code right before you get the inspection and then I know a lax place close by to do the inspection.

Obviously that's only a temporary fix but without knowing what code you're throwing...I can't tell you much more. The P0513 code had nothing to do with my exhaust but the P0420 did. And the P0420 code kept going on and off for maybe 6 months until it finally just stayed on permanently and we ran several diagnostic readings during this time which all indicted a problem with the sensor itself not my headers so that's why I just replaced it. It was less than a 10 minute job and the sensor was about $100. My dealership actually said they would replace the sensor for me under warranty (because GM said to make me happy...lol) but I was so pissed...I would rather be out the money than let them touch my car again.

PM me some details...like whether you've read any codes so far and how often your getting the CEL and we'll go from there.

Last edited by Envy; 04-15-2012 at 11:04 AM.
post #9 of 9 Old 04-14-2012, 03:28 PM

i got the P0420 code....i sent you a PM
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page