Lost Power in 2011 V6 - Help - ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts
Diagnostics & Tuning Diagnostics | Programming | Tuning

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 27 Old 03-14-2012, 01:21 PM Thread Starter

Lost Power in 2011 V6 - Help

I have a 2011 2LT RS Camaro, stick shift, that I bought new in May of last year. I have 22,000 miles on it.

When I first got the car I would ride it hard all the time. At one point after about 5,000 miles I checked the 0-60 time with an accelerometer. I was consistently running between 5.8 and 6.0 sec. I didnt check the 0-60 time again after the first 10,000 miles. I was consistently getting 21 mpg during that time. I was always using 89 octane gas.

After about 15,000 miles I got over the need to constantly race and began driving conservatively to improve gas mileage. I started using 87 octane and began getting 24-26 mpg for a tank driving mostly highway miles.

I can't say exactly when but it seems over the past 3 months?? I noticed a drop in power when I went full throttle. I particularly notice it at high rpm. I decided to use the same accelerometer that I used the first time to recheck my 0-60 times and to my horror I was now running between 7.5 and 7.9 seconds.

I looked back at my maintenance records and have changed the oil every 5,000 to 6,000 miles. I did notice that I never changed the air filter. I changed it today thinking that was probably what was wrong but noticed no difference at all.

The only other factor I can add is that do to so many drag runs early in the cars life I did burn the clutch a little. It will slip if I try to power shift. That still doesnt explain the drop in performance because I can still quick shift and feel the pull after the shift. I may have lost 0.5 sec max from that. Other than 0-60 times the car just doesnt seem to pull like it did between 4,000 and 6,500 rpm.

I would appreciate any suggestions.

Thanks,
Rob

Last edited by Robversion2011; 03-14-2012 at 01:23 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 Old 03-14-2012, 01:31 PM
Bully Proof

Garage
I'm going to stick my neck out here and probably get my ass chewed but here goes...I was having problems with my peddle being sluggish and unresponsive so I did some research.

My Fix: I wound up cleaning my MAF sensor with the MAF cleaner that's available at Autozone. It only took a few minutes and made all the difference in the world. I haven't had the peddle dog on me since and throttle response is immediate. My car only had about 6000 miles on it when I did this and now I'm about to hit 8000.

Maybe this will help...I don't know...but it only took a few minutes to remove it and clean it...the whole process took me less than 30 minutes but you have to let it dry after cleaning...cost of cleaner was under $10.

Last edited by Envy; 03-14-2012 at 01:33 PM.
post #3 of 27 Old 03-14-2012, 01:38 PM Thread Starter

Thanks. I probably will try that if for no other reason than frustration. It's not likely there is any engine wear but I was also thinking of doing a compression test. Is it worth it and if so does anyone know what the specified pressure range is?

I couldnt find it doing a search.

post #4 of 27 Old 03-14-2012, 02:11 PM
Bully Proof

Garage
I use 87 octane...that's what the car is tuned for. I drive my V6 urban racer VERY hard and average 14-15 mpg so when my acceleration off the line started to diminish I was very concerned. But I experienced immediate results...so I haven't thought about it since. Several months after the cleaning...I added the RX Catch Can.

Last edited by Envy; 03-14-2012 at 02:13 PM.
post #5 of 27 Old 03-14-2012, 03:45 PM
2016 Camaro 1SS

Envy ! You must flog her to get 14-15 ! IMO that is awesome : ) I cleaned mine also since I went to the dealer and they said it needed to be done for $130 : ( So $6 later I did it myself. It was dirty but $130 was not happening. I could get a nice mod for that
post #6 of 27 Old 03-14-2012, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojave View Post
Envy ! You must flog her to get 14-15 ! IMO that is awesome : ) I cleaned mine also since I went to the dealer and they said it needed to be done for $130 : ( So $6 later I did it myself. It was dirty but $130 was not happening. I could get a nice mod for that

JANUARY 2012 MODERN CAMARO MEMBER OF THE MONTH
JUNE 2012 CAMARONEWS.COM CAR OF THE MONTH
http://5thgencarolinacamaros.webs.com/
post #7 of 27 Old 03-14-2012, 03:51 PM
Bully Proof

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mojave View Post
Yep...so easy a girl could do it...lol.
post #8 of 27 Old 03-14-2012, 04:24 PM
2016 Camaro 1SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Envy View Post
Yep...so easy a girl could do it...lol.
Only a few power hungry people could do it !
post #9 of 27 Old 03-14-2012, 04:59 PM Thread Starter

The good news is that your solution worked perfectly. It was like it came alive suddenly and I had a new car again.

Bad news is I missed a power shift going into second gear and applied so much force on the shifter that now I am SCREWED!!!!!!! I felt the whole car vibrate from the grinding. Totally destroyed my transmission. Not only can I not shift into first or second gear but if I ease it into second under gentle throttle it sounds like a drill boring through cement.

I can't imagine how much this is going to cost me but I feel horrible. I doubt there is any chance my warranty will cover it either. I was better off with my slow working Camaro. This sux.

Anyone have any idea what a worst case scenario price could be? Second order approximation is all I want. We talking possibly $1,000, $1,500, $2,000. Any possible way to get a mechanic to get warranty coverage somehow?

Anyway if someone searches for power loss and comes upon this thread maybe it will help them.

Last edited by Robversion2011; 03-14-2012 at 05:07 PM.
post #10 of 27 Old 03-14-2012, 05:37 PM
Bully Proof

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robversion2011 View Post
The good news is that your solution worked perfectly. It was like it came alive suddenly and I had a new car again.

Bad news is I missed a power shift going into second gear and applied so much force on the shifter that now I am SCREWED!!!!!!! I felt the whole car vibrate from the grinding. Totally destroyed my transmission. Not only can I not shift into first or second gear but if I ease it into second under gentle throttle it sounds like a drill boring through cement.

I can't imagine how much this is going to cost me but I feel horrible. I doubt there is any chance my warranty will cover it either. I was better off with my slow working Camaro. This sux.

Anyone have any idea what a worst case scenario price could be? Second order approximation is all I want. We talking possibly $1,000, $1,500, $2,000. Any possible way to get a mechanic to get warranty coverage somehow?

Anyway if someone searches for power loss and comes upon this thread maybe it will help them.
Wow...that doesn't sound good. Why wouldn't your warranty cover this? Have you done some mods?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page