About 60 to 70 horsepower more for the V6 - ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts
Diagnostics & Tuning Diagnostics | Programming | Tuning

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 25 Old 02-03-2013, 02:06 PM Thread Starter

About 60 to 70 horsepower more for the V6

Okay, here is the question. Is it possible to get 60 to 70 horsepower more from the V6 without a supercharger? Can it be tuned to get that, chips etc?

Is their a good shop in the Phoenix, Scottsdale area to do that?

Jim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 Old 02-03-2013, 02:24 PM

No, without a Supercharger or twin turbo you can not get near that with a tune. Last I heard with the Trifecta tune you will get around 13 hp.

JANUARY 2012 MODERN CAMARO MEMBER OF THE MONTH
JUNE 2012 CAMARONEWS.COM CAR OF THE MONTH
http://5thgencarolinacamaros.webs.com/
post #3 of 25 Old 02-03-2013, 08:02 PM Thread Starter

60 to 70 horsepower for the V6

Thanks for the quick reply. I guess all the stuff about the chips is bogus, or is it that it can be done if done right, but will void the warrantee.

I guess if I have to go supercharger or a lot of bucks to get the horsepower I'll just have to enjoy it as is till I can afford an SS or a ZL1. The SS with work and some money will produce a lot of power, but it's just not worth it to put a tone of money into the V6 to get it to 425 hp or thereabouts.

Am I wrong for some reason.

What does the cold air package do. If I go cold air and tuning can I get some 25 HP out of it?

Is a change to the rear end ratio expensive?

Going to a 3.75 from the 3.23 will give me at least about 15% more torque to the rear wheels in the lower speed ranges.

Jim

post #4 of 25 Old 02-05-2013, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by authorjim View Post
I guess all the stuff about the chips is bogus, or is it that it can be done if done right, but will void the warrantee.

BOGUS, chip will do nothing but mess with air/gas ratio.

What does the cold air package do. If I go cold air and tuning can I get some 25 HP out of it?
Doubt you would see that return. Different CAIs give different HP boosts but no where near that amount.
Is a change to the rear end ratio expensive?

Going to a 3.75 from the 3.23 will give me at least about 15% more torque to the rear wheels in the lower speed ranges.
No, going from a 3.75 to say a 4.10 will give you more tourque with a lower top speed.
post #5 of 25 Old 02-05-2013, 07:19 PM Thread Starter

60 to 70 Horsepower for the V6

Thanks for the reply. That is what I meant, If i go from my existing 3.23 axle ratio to a 3.75 I will get the torque increase but run out of RPM's quicker in each gear and limit top speed. Also hurts fuel economy.

What confuses me, warrantee or not. It seems a chip that reprograms the engine to see more fuel, more timing advance etc. should be able to increase horsepower ---- to a point. I don't see how they can offer more horsepower with more fuel economy however.

If someone that sells these chips is reading this thread --- answer and provide some proof (Dyno comparisons) of increased performance. You may have some interested people.

Please guys jump in.

Jim
post #6 of 25 Old 02-06-2013, 05:55 AM
Premium Member

Garage
Skip the "chips". They're a scam and just mess up the readings going to your ECU.

Most of those so-called "chips" are nothing but a small circuit to either increase or decrease the reading coming from various sensors to you computer, making the reading incorrect.

Get a tune from a reputable shop. They'll stand behind their work.

James 1:25 Ordered from Faulkner Chevy #NKCF02 1100 5/8/9 2000, 3300 7/16/9 TPW 7/20,GOT MY (low) VIN! 4000 7/24/9 ,Picked up 8/7/9!!! Signed Litho #45. Car signed by FBodfather 2011. Service: Jennings Chevy in PA. We don't "drift", kiddies... we POWER SLIDE! MOTM/COTM Sept 2012 Pro Patria Vigilans.
Click the pic.. I don't tolerate fools.
post #7 of 25 Old 02-06-2013, 08:48 AM
Bully Proof

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by authorjim View Post
Thanks for the quick reply. I guess all the stuff about the chips is bogus, or is it that it can be done if done right, but will void the warrantee.

I guess if I have to go supercharger or a lot of bucks to get the horsepower I'll just have to enjoy it as is till I can afford an SS or a ZL1. The SS with work and some money will produce a lot of power, but it's just not worth it to put a ton of money into the V6 to get it to 425 hp or thereabouts.

Am I wrong for some reason.
To get your V6 to 425 hp...you're going to need to add 102 hp to it and as has been stated...that cannot be done without adding some kind of forced induction.
post #8 of 25 Old 02-06-2013, 09:01 AM
Premium Member

Garage
It'd be cheaper in the long run to just trade up to an SS.

James 1:25 Ordered from Faulkner Chevy #NKCF02 1100 5/8/9 2000, 3300 7/16/9 TPW 7/20,GOT MY (low) VIN! 4000 7/24/9 ,Picked up 8/7/9!!! Signed Litho #45. Car signed by FBodfather 2011. Service: Jennings Chevy in PA. We don't "drift", kiddies... we POWER SLIDE! MOTM/COTM Sept 2012 Pro Patria Vigilans.
post #9 of 25 Old 02-06-2013, 08:33 PM Thread Starter

I get it, I give up.

Thanks for all your comments. I do understand that I will not get even 70 horsepower unless I do some kind of forced air.

From a technical point of you I don't understand why a chip cannot be made that programs the car to have more advance more fuel and more power. In the old days thats what we did to increase power, increased distributor advance, more fuel, etc. to increase power. I understand that you say the chips available will not do it. I just don't understand why someone cannot design a chip to do it. We seemed to be able to get 25 to 30 horsepower that way on the average. Already high performance cars would get a little more and some a little less.

I am still waiting for a chip manufacturer that advertises on here to tell me what a chip does specifically and to prove that you can increase power.
Apparently the repliers to this thread don't believe in chips and I totally trust their opinions.

Jim
post #10 of 25 Old 02-07-2013, 10:04 AM
Premium Member

Garage
There's NOWHERE TO PUT a "chip". The ECU is a SEALED UNIT! Those "chips" are just prescalers. No more.

The electronics can only work with the fuel and air that is already available.
Just like doing it old-school with a timing light, and manually adjusting fuel/air ratios, tuning will only get you so far before you need a bigger pump.

That's basically all an internal combustion engine is, a big air pump. To get more power out, you need more air/fuel in.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page