My camaro just threw a DTC-P16F3 - ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts
Diagnostics & Tuning Diagnostics | Programming | Tuning

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 Old 04-11-2013, 04:18 PM Thread Starter

My camaro just threw a DTC-P16F3

Well, this was a bummer. Left work today and shortly after starting my 2012 V6, I got "Running at reduced power" on the DIC. The CEL, Stabilitrak and TC lights were all lit. The car idled and ran OK, but a Honda Civic with a miss would have been faster .

Anyway, since I had the EZFlash software and cable, I pulled (and cleared) the DTC. I ran a few miles and the DTC did not return. Yes, I have a somewhat recent Trifecta tune which has been great for over 300 miles.

Has anyone else had this problem/DTC?
Is it something that is common-ish?

Any input appreciated.

TIA

Last edited by BigVic; 04-12-2013 at 12:38 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 04-11-2013, 04:37 PM
Bully Proof

Garage
It generally takes more than a few miles for a CEL to return (30 minutes, several engine restarts, and reaching 60 mph for an period of 5-10 minutes)...because the the engine has to process through all of the different sector checks. So you're not out of the woods yet...you'll need to drive it some more before you can be sure that the problem is resolved.
post #3 of 11 Old 04-11-2013, 04:55 PM
Bully Proof

Garage
Here's a little more info...on the CTS-V that code can indicate that the ECM needs to be reprogrammed which obviously needs to be done by your dealership under warranty...so if the issue reoccurs...I'd head that direction immediately.

post #4 of 11 Old 04-11-2013, 11:58 PM Thread Starter

Thanks Envy. I appreciate the info. We'll see what happens over the next few days.

I found out this too:
P16F3 -Control Module Redundant Memory Performance. History SES Current Stored.

From what I decipher, this does point to the ECM as you stated.

Last edited by BigVic; 04-12-2013 at 12:04 AM.
post #5 of 11 Old 04-17-2013, 04:35 PM Thread Starter

Well, I've went over 200 miles and many restarts, WOT runs, speeds up to, um, slightly above legal speeds, and so far no code.

Hopefully it will not return.
post #6 of 11 Old 04-18-2013, 07:53 AM
Veteran Member

Garage
Here is some info..
Conditions for Setting the DTC:
The ECM detects an internal failure or incomplete or incorrect programming.

2010 Camaro 2SS/RS 6spd 426hp
December 2013 Member of the Month
post #7 of 11 Old 04-26-2013, 01:34 PM
lou

I registered just so I could provide some input. My 2013 Cadillac ATS (RWD, 6-speed manual, 2.0T) did the same thing to me yesterday - CEL, Stabilitrak & traction control lights, as well as the "Reduced Engine Power" message. After a few restarts and driving it for a while, the Stabilitrak and traction control lights went off, and the CEL disappeared shortly afterward. Since then I have not had the issue, but I scanned the car anyway and got code P16F3. I'm dropping the car off at the dealer in the next hour and will hear back from them after the weekend. I'll let you know what happens!
post #8 of 11 Old 06-17-2013, 02:09 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lou View Post
I registered just so I could provide some input. My 2013 Cadillac ATS (RWD, 6-speed manual, 2.0T) did the same thing to me yesterday - CEL, Stabilitrak & traction control lights, as well as the "Reduced Engine Power" message. After a few restarts and driving it for a while, the Stabilitrak and traction control lights went off, and the CEL disappeared shortly afterward. Since then I have not had the issue, but I scanned the car anyway and got code P16F3. I'm dropping the car off at the dealer in the next hour and will hear back from them after the weekend. I'll let you know what happens!

Any update. Mine has not thrown a code since my post.

post #9 of 11 Old 06-23-2013, 02:57 PM

Sounds like your tune has a hiccup in it and the engine found it and went into limp mode. I'd find a local speed shop or someone like Ted Jannety to go over it and see what they can tell you about the tune. A canned tune is rarely perfect, and should never be substituted for a proper dyno tuning by a professional.
post #10 of 11 Old 07-23-2013, 04:42 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by coyotekiller View Post
Sounds like your tune has a hiccup in it and the engine found it and went into limp mode. I'd find a local speed shop or someone like Ted Jannety to go over it and see what they can tell you about the tune. A canned tune is rarely perfect, and should never be substituted for a proper dyno tuning by a professional.
Possibly. So far no issues (or codes) at all except that one time and I've run over 2,000 miles since that incident. Car runs great, ready to add a Borla exhaust.

Thanks for the input coyotekiller.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in